Re: [John Muir Trail] corn / polenta for through hiking

  • Karpani
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 15 8:44 PM
      Thanks for this post, John!  and, you're welcome.  Remember . . . the stevia is 300x as sweet as sugar!  Suggest you use very sparingly until you get a sense of it.:-)  Good luck!  And have fun!  A friend and I have been planning on doing virtually the same trip you are doing with Anya the weekend after next.  I've never been there before, so I'm excited for the adventure!  I just hope the heat lets up some.:-)
      Karpani

      From: John Ladd <johnladd@gmail. com>
      To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Lighttrailfood" <lighttrailfood@ yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 12:25 PM

      Bob makes a good point about pesto - It's hard to store and hard to cook without making a terrible mess.  I've also  had to clean out a bearcan where everything got splattered with pesto and it's an unholy mess.  (In my case, I had actually packaged the pesto OK, but then I sloppily opened my container right over the bearcan -- thinking it was my ghee jar -- and spilled some of it all over everything.  Dumb!)

      Anyway, try this:

      1) Don't count on store packaging.  Repackage the pesto in something you trust.  For a little, I'd probably use a 4-oz nalgene jar.  For more, I'd use a 8-oz plastic jar of the kind you can buy at Wilderness Exchange in Berkeley. (see white jar in picture below).  Plastic Peanut Butter jars work well, but it's hard to get small ones.

      2) To heat the pesto, bring to a simmer the water you will eventually use to cook your couscous (pasta or rice or gnocchi or ravioli or whatever) and just put the Nalgene or other jar in the hot water, turn off the burner for 5-10 minutes and let it come up to a moderate degree of warmth (the heat from the couscous will complete the process.) Once the pesto is warmish, set it aside (or -- better -- put it in a cozy) while you cook the couscous, pasta, rice etc.  Once your couscous is done, add the warm pesto to the couscous (or vice versa if you've heated the pesto in a large enough container).  You will have to clean whatever you use for your eating dish, but at least you haven't tried to heat the pesto directly over a flame and made your pot dirty.

      3) This worked fine for me when I used a 4-oz Nalgene jar in my JetBoil, but when I tried to use the 8-oz. jar, it was really hard to get the jar out of the JetBoil (its outside diameter was close to the inner diameter of the JetBoil pot and I couldn't get my fingers around it to lift it out.)

      I think I've found a solution to this.  I just bought a nylon bolt, 2 nylon washers and a nylon wingnut.  I'm going to drill a hole in the top of the jar and insert the nylon fasteners (wingnut facing up),  I'll use a little McNett seam-sealer to make sure I have a tight seal.  Then the wingnut will give me something I can grab to retrieve the jar from the JetBoil pot.  See pic below.

      While my just-completed modification doesn't seem to leak, I'm not sure that the seal on the wingnut will be good enough, so I'll carry one jar and two tops -- use the regular top for storage/transportat ion and the modified top only for heating the pesto.

      Picture of the 8-oz jar with proposed wingnut "handle" - hole drilled in the top to accept the handle.

      Jar and wingnut handle from Wilderness exchange for pesto etc.jpg

      Picture of 4-oz. Nalgene bottle (if there is anyone out there who doesn't already know what they look like) - very handy for carrying things that like to leak.  Available in sizes from 1-oz. to 32 oz. (though a bit hard to find above 8 oz.) They have extremely good seals and therefore are great -- in appropriate sizes -- for carrying things that will make a mess if they leak (olive oil, povidone iodine, maple syrup, deet, camp soap). (BPA free, for those with concerns about that.)

      Nalgene 4-oz jar.jpg

      BTW,I love the little 8-oz jars because they seal almost as well as the Nalgene, are lightweight and have such a wide mouth.  Unfortunately, I've never seen them anywhere other than at Wilderness exchange in Berkeley (not form the REI there).  They are made by Lermer Packaging Corporation, which seems to sell wholesale only.

      Also, pesto is one of those things that is kind of fun to make yourself - fresh basil leaves, olive oil, salt, pine nuts in a pestle or a blender or a food processor.  Lots of recipes online. Either add hard Parmesan to it before leaving town or carry the cheese separately and add before you eat it.  Also, if you have only something small for transporting it, you can make it with minimal olive oil and add more olive oil in the field (particularly if you are carrying it anyway).

      On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@hotmail. com> wrote:

      I've found pesto in a tube at Molly Stone's––as well as tomato paste--and even after opening, it stayed fresh enough to last me a few days in a warm bear canister. The Bummer about pesto (just for me, I'm sure) is that it's one of those things that really gets your pot(s) and utensils dirty and oily, which seemed to get everywhere, including inside my canister for some reason and along with the dirt came the laborious clean up.

      I didn't use polenta, but instead, TJ's pasta bits. I've found the best way to eat well on the trail is just wander into someone else's camp––maybe someone you've had a good chat with earlier that day––and just eat all the stuff they've realized they've made or packed waaaay too much of. "No fuss, no muss . . . "  (honest, I tried to wash the dishes, but they wouldn't let me)