Re: [John Muir Trail] Partners for July/Aug?

  • Catra Corbett
    Message 1 of 10 , May 19 8:10 PM
      Hi Jim-

      I was actually going to go for the speed record on the PCT this year, but there is way to much snow to go fast.
      I was going to start May 13th.
      I have to much going on in September so I couldn't change my date.
      I will have an open schedule next year and not plan so many 100 mile ultra runs. I will just focus on the PCT.
      Thanks for the blister info. I actually have taught foot care clinics in the past. I have done the foot care clinic at Western States 100 mile run.
      The reason I had problems is my gaiter straps broke early on and sand was getting in my shoes. I was to lazy to take the sand out. I had my feet taped but they got swollen and I only brought thick socks. I had done the JMT in under 7 days in 2003. I wore the same model shoe. The only thing I can think of I was a lot faster this time so my feet were taking a beating.
      I used the Gregory advent pro adventure racing pack. My pack weight with everything including food was 16 pounds. This year I will get it down to 13 I hope.
      I have two drops one at Woods creek crossing that I will run in, in July. And mail one out to Muir Ranch. Thats it. I have one friend who wants to run with me two days. I have a friend who will see me off on the top of Whitney when I start the clock. I have the photo editor from trail runner coming out and he will shoot me in couple places. Thats all just really on my own. thats the way I like it...

      I use elastikon tape and benzion to help the tape stick. That works well for me. Well most of the time except for last year.
      I know the pain you were in. I only took my shoes off at night. Most nights I had to stick my feet out the sleeping bag because it hurt if anything touched them. I think I had a total of 7 blisters...

      Cheers,
      Catra

      http://www.birthdaychallenge.com

      JimSerio <jseriopublic@...> wrote:
      Catra,

      Good luck on that! Reminds me of the runners who run the PCT in record
      time. Do you carry a small/big pack or do you have support team along
      the trail to keep things light?

      At TM I must have picked up a pound of blister supplies (2 rolls of
      duct tape, 2 rolls of ankle wrap, extra mole skin and antibiotic).
      They didn't have super glue but some doctors told me that works well
      with blisters and cuts. The duct tape was a complete failure. It
      eventually broke loose from my sweat and was rubbing the blisters
      making them worse/larger. My biggest mistake was popping and cutting
      off the skin on day one thinking second skin would be sufficient
      (takes too long to dry and the layers are too small). STUPID! I should
      have let them run their course. Oh well. Live and learn.

      Here's one with all my bandaging:

      http://jserio.asu.edu/gallery/album07/IMG_0439

      It was so tedius taking my boots off and re-wrapping them that I kept
      them on at most rest stops.

      Jim

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Catra Corbett <catrarunner@y...>
      wrote:
      > Jim... Nice blister shots. I wish I had pictures of mine.. Mine
      were worse. They were so infected. I had to pop them everyday and
      tape them back up. I did a yo yo last year on the JMT in 12 days. My
      last 24 hours were incredibly painful. I pushed without sleeping my
      feet hurt so bad. I found two sticks and used them the last 20 miles.
      Thank god for Vitamin I, I would of never made it. My feet were so
      infected for a week after. I did manage two run by day two after
      being off the trail.

      > I will see you out there this year. I will be starting at Whitney
      and doing a triple 636 miles. I hope to finish in 18 days.

      > Catra "Dirt Diva"
      >
      > http://www.birthdaychallenge.com
      >

      > JimSerio <jseriopublic@g...> wrote:
      > Looking for one or more partners for a (fast-paced) N->S hike this
      > July/Aug? I attempted the hike last summer and made it 2 days past
      > Red's. Had blisters on both feet the first few hours (damn new
      > boots!!!!) and had to bail due to infection.
      >
      > http://jserio.asu.edu/gallery/album07/IMG_0509
      >
      > I spent an our before leaving the Village debating whether or not to
      > keep my NB running shoes or go boots. Hearing about the rough trail
      > made me give in. At the top of the falls, I attempted to hike back
      > down and swap out but didn't make it. Oh well, lesson learned. I've
      > never hiked in boots before this and never plan to again ;-)
      >
      > Anyhow, looking to finish this within 2 weeks tops. If anyone is
      > interested or planning one for that time and looking for a partner
      > lemme know. I'll be driving from AZ and can help with the
      > carpooling/shuttle. I'm pretty flexible on the start-time.
      >
      > Jim

      Service.

    • Vera Lehmkuhl
      Message 2 of 10 , May 19 9:13 PM
        Ok I have to ask...what kind of boots were they?
        vera

        JimSerio <jseriopublic@...> wrote:
        Jeff,

        Granted they were new (to me) I had spent a month and a about 140
        miles breaking them in (day hikes plus to/from work). I meant new in
        the way that I hadn't worn boots for about 10 years.

        Should I have broken them in more? Maybe. But I had decided to take
        them about a month beforehand and picked up a pair and did my best to
        break them in but I guess it wasn't enough. Or the boots were just
        garbage. I need to find the photos of both soles peeling off. After
        only about 300 miles?! I still need to return them to REI :-)

        Jim

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Singewald" <singewald@e...> wrote:
        > Jim,
        >
        > Nice blisters! I hope you don't mind answering a question or two
        about this
        > trip. You mentioned these blisters were caused by new boots. Do
        you mind
        > sharing what in the world you were thinking attempting this hike
        with boots
        > (or any shoes for that matter) that did not have a significant amount of
        > break-in time? In reading this list and others over the past couple of
        > years, I struggle with how many people seem to start their
        thru-hikes (PCT
        > and JMT) with new boots/shoes. What gives?
        >
        > Sorry to single you out, but the pictures gave me the chills and I
        just had
        > to ask.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Message 3 of 10 , May 19 10:04 PM
          Catra,
          thanks for comments...I think they'll be ok too...they fit very well...how have you found the soles to be as far as grippiness on dirt/mud/slippery rocks? Also, has the fact that they are not Gortex bothered you...what do you do about rain?

          Catra Corbett <catrarunner@...> wrote:
          Hi Vera-

          The Hardrocks or the Highlines are the best choice by Montrail for the JMT. That's what I train in the High Sierras.
          You will do fine with the Hardrocks. Thats what I will be wearing. I of course will have to mail out a pair of extra shoes this year to Muir Ranch. I will be doing 636 miles. i like to change my shoes after 300 miles.
          I do run for the Montrail/Patagonia ultrarunning team, so I would suggest only Montrail. They're the best.

          Last year I did notice tons of hikers wearing Montrail trail running shoes. Good luck and have fun.

          Cheers,
          Catra

        • Catra Corbett
          Message 4 of 10 , May 19 11:11 PM
            Hi Vera-

            They are the shoe of choice at one of the hardest hundreds. The HURT 100 in Hawaii. It is hot humid wet, slippery with moss covered rocks. The sole is awesome. The Mt. Mist is a new gortex shoe by Montrail. I wear them even when it doesn't rain. The problem with gortex. if you do go through a stream they will stay wet forever. The Hardrocks dry out pretty fast.. I wear gaiters, they help to keep your feet from getting soaked. here is a link to my friends website she makes gaiters.
            http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com

            Cheers,
            Catra