Warm Weather Next Week

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2005
      This has been a heavy snowfall year and a late melt. Mammoth even
      had some more snow today, but it looks like the weather is about to
      change:

      From http://mammothweather.com/
      IT REALLY APPEARS NOW THAT THE WINTER PARTY MAY FINALLY BE
      OVER.....I AM EXPECTING HIGH 90S IN BISHOP BY NEXT WEEKEND AND A
      POSSIBLE 100 BY THE FOLLOWING MONDAY/TUESDAY....THAT MEANS THAT 70S
      ARE ON THE WAY FOR MAMMOTH LAKES. SO...."LET THE RUNOFF BEGIN" !!!

      Unless it gets really hot or we have some warm rain, I still expect
      snow on the passes until early / mid-August. This really isn't a
      problem except, as Jeff noted, it slows you down. Obviously the
      earlier you go, the more the snow will slow you down - June will be
      tough this year.

      I think Evolution Creek is probably the most difficult crossing with
      heavy runoff (it was at my knees the last time I crossed it). July
      hikers might want to cross in the AM if your schedule works.

      Best to all!