Re: [John Muir Trail] Tincture of Benzoin

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
      On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Karpani <karpanilove@...> wrote:

      I know this substance has been mentioned in discussions about blisters and foot care, but what exactly is it and how do you use it? and where do you get it?

      You dab it on (in very small quantities) to clean skin (not directly into a wound).  Wait about 30 seconds and (as Don just said) it makes the skin sticky.  Moleskin, band-aids, tape for sterile dressing, duct tape, etc. will now adhere better and longer.  Therefore the bandaging of your foot is less likely to come loose inside your sock and cause further blisters.  And bandages on other parts of you body are more likely to stick.  (I always have trouble with bandages on fingers or my hand.)

      Some people also put it direcly on hot spots or even onto the raw skin of a popped blister to "toughen" the skin surface.  Apparently it really stings on a popped blister, but some people swear by it.  I can't comment on that use.

      For this, rather aggresive use, see

      http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=12099

      You can get it as a fluid in a bottle at REI

      See

      http://www.rei.com/product/752451

      or as little blister packs in many drug stores.

      the single-use blister packs look like this with the tincture in a glass vial until you break the vial:

      Tincture-Compound-Medium.jpg

      If you can't see the image go to

      http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/images/items/Tincture-Compound-Medium.jpg

      John Ladd (your loyal researcher)
    • Karpani
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2010
        Thank you, Don, and John, our "loyal researcher" :-) . . . I love the continuing education I experience here.
        Cheers!
        Karpani

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010

          Well, i have done my share of hiking, but last year hiking Whitney in a day was a good
          test to find out if Kenesio Tex ( pink tape) at zombie runner, it worked really good. I was carrying about 50lbs to see if could do JMT this year. If you put the tape on before your
          hike and hopefully good socks/liners, it pays off nice. We should be starting our JMT hike in a few days, hope to see you happy trailers out there burning yourselves. Be safe.

          Come walk in nature, walk with god.

          Abid Muzaffar

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010
            Yeah, I swear by this stuff. It really helps tape, any kind of tape, stick to your feet/hot spots. Was a life saver for me on the JMT a couple of years back. Like crazy glue for your feet. Hard to find though. I've ordered it from REI before, but I've also heard that old drug store/medical supply kind of places might carry it.