Tincture of Benzoin

  • Karpani
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
      I know this substance has been mentioned in discussions about blisters and foot care, but what exactly is it and how do you use it? and where do you get it?
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
        On 7/2/2010 1:10 PM, Karpani wrote:
        > I know this substance has been mentioned in discussions about blisters and foot care, but what exactly is it and how do you use it? and where do you get it?

        http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/tincture_benzoin_ampules.html

        REI sells the stuff, too. I never used it.
      • Don Amundson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
          Though Backpackinglight still shows the benzoin ampules they no longer carry them unfortunately (see notice under the price). This stuff works for protecting skin and provides a substrate for applying adhesive tapes.  I've used duct tape with benzoin and had it last a week.

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: pburke@...
          Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 13:16:11 -0500
          Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Tincture of Benzoin

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2010
            On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Karpani <karpanilove@...> wrote:

            I know this substance has been mentioned in discussions about blisters and foot care, but what exactly is it and how do you use it? and where do you get it?

            You dab it on (in very small quantities) to clean skin (not directly into a wound).  Wait about 30 seconds and (as Don just said) it makes the skin sticky.  Moleskin, band-aids, tape for sterile dressing, duct tape, etc. will now adhere better and longer.  Therefore the bandaging of your foot is less likely to come loose inside your sock and cause further blisters.  And bandages on other parts of you body are more likely to stick.  (I always have trouble with bandages on fingers or my hand.)

            Some people also put it direcly on hot spots or even onto the raw skin of a popped blister to "toughen" the skin surface.  Apparently it really stings on a popped blister, but some people swear by it.  I can't comment on that use.

            For this, rather aggresive use, see

            http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=12099

            You can get it as a fluid in a bottle at REI

            See

            http://www.rei.com/product/752451

            or as little blister packs in many drug stores.

            the single-use blister packs look like this with the tincture in a glass vial until you break the vial:

            Tincture-Compound-Medium.jpg

            If you can't see the image go to

            http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/images/items/Tincture-Compound-Medium.jpg

            John Ladd (your loyal researcher)
          • Karpani
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2010
              Thank you, Don, and John, our "loyal researcher" :-) . . . I love the continuing education I experience here.
              Cheers!

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010

                Well, i have done my share of hiking, but last year hiking Whitney in a day was a good
                test to find out if Kenesio Tex ( pink tape) at zombie runner, it worked really good. I was carrying about 50lbs to see if could do JMT this year. If you put the tape on before your
                hike and hopefully good socks/liners, it pays off nice. We should be starting our JMT hike in a few days, hope to see you happy trailers out there burning yourselves. Be safe.

                Come walk in nature, walk with god.

                Abid Muzaffar

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2010
                  Yeah, I swear by this stuff. It really helps tape, any kind of tape, stick to your feet/hot spots. Was a life saver for me on the JMT a couple of years back. Like crazy glue for your feet. Hard to find though. I've ordered it from REI before, but I've also heard that old drug store/medical supply kind of places might carry it.