Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Yosmite Valley to Toulumne Meadows update

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
      Ben thanks so much for the update; how exciting. I hope all goes well for you'd next section.

      Barbara

      On Jun 30, 2010, at 10:08 PM, "Ben" <benlast@...> wrote:

      We got to TM on the 29th. 3 days hiking.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <benlast@...> wrote:

      > My son and I started he hike on June 27th and made it to Toulune Meadows post office at 3:57 (3 min before post office closed). The trail was clear with no snow up to a couple of miles before sunrise junction. We met people heading to YV who said there was lost so snow. We crossed the creek right after sunrise that was thigh high but not too bad at about 6:30. We setup camp a litte after that. My son who wasn't feeling very well developed a fever so I was a little worried. Gave him some meds. In the morning I wasn't sure if we should head back or try the snow. We ended going through the snow. There was 70% to 100% coverage from the cathedral junction to Cathredral lakes. We made it to Cathedral lakes around noon and we saw day hikers and were pretty excited. We knew we could make it out that day. From the lakes on down it was 50% coverage and less and less as we got lower. Sometimes the snow got 5 or 6 feet high for 10 to 15 feet then back to trail.
      > There was lots of snow but not hard to navigate with a GPS and mostly down hill or small hills. We post holed a few times but nothing too bad. We had treking poles and yaktraks and had plenty of traction. It was a little wobbly going through some of the suncups.
      > We are getting off the trail and I am starting up again on July 4th at TM. I am not sure if my son will continue at this time. I may end up meeting him and some of my other family up the trail.
      > We met 10 or so PCT'ers and they said there was lots of snow but the trail was very do'able. The trail is pretty well trampled. Streams were very high and more of a worry then the passes. Mather pass was the hardest pass to cross. Forester was hard but not scarry.

    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
        Ben wrote:

        > My son and I started he hike on June 27th and made it to Toulune
        > Meadows post office at 3:57 (3 min before post office closed). The
        > trail was clear with no snow up to a couple of miles before sunrise
        > junction. We met people heading to YV who said there was lost so snow.
        > We crossed the creek right after sunrise that was thigh high but not
        > too bad at about 6:30. We setup camp a litte after that. My son who
        > wasn't feeling very well developed a fever so I was a little worried.
        > Gave him some meds. In the morning I wasn't sure if we should head
        > back or try the snow. We ended going through the snow. There was 70%
        > to 100% coverage from the cathedral junction to Cathredral lakes

        comparison to last year June 30 - just a small snow field next to the
        trail along the rock face south of Cathedral Pass. Sunrise Creek was
        about 6 inches of flow. Nothing on the trail itself. Bottom line - when
        they say lots of snow on the big passes, they really mean LOTS of snow.