Re: [John Muir Trail] Logistics Question - Camping the first night in the valley

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2010
      Here is the link to the backpacker campground http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm. Tim hit the nail on the head but you may run into a problem in what time you get to Yosemite and the time the wilderness office close

      From: Greg Kittridge <kittrg@...>
      Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:36:51 -0400
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Logistics Question - Camping the first night in the valley

      Thanks for the heads up, Sam. I will see what it turns up.

      Thanks,
      Greg

      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Sam Rohlfs <samrohlfs@gmail. com> wrote:

      Have you tried craigslist for reservations?  Try this http://sfbay. craigslist. org/sby/tix/ 1816176591. html

      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM, <ed_rodriguez52@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      Greg I heard people getting in line(camping out) at the Wilderness Office as early as 2 am. Also not sure that you want to do this but I put this out here, go to campers and ask them if you can pitch your tent in their sit (given them some money) good luck

      From: Greg Kittridge <kittrg@gmail. com>
      Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:55:56 -0400

      Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I think Camp 4 is out of the question as we won't be arriving until the evening.

      Bob (or anyone else), just to clarify, I do not have a permit reservation and was planning on getting a walk-up permit the next morning. Under these circumstances, are we still allowed to camp in the backpacker's campground? Sorry to beat a dead horse to death, but I still am confused on our options.

      Thanks!
      Greg

      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM, <ed_rodriguez52@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      Hi Greg, here is a link where in Yosemite you can find a camping spot in the valley http://www.nps. gov/yose/ planyourvisit/ nrcamping. htm. Camp 4 maybe be your best bet. The only thing I suggest is arrive in the morning. To find a camping spot.

      From: Greg Kittridge <kittrg@gmail. com>
      Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:36:14 -0400

      Hello all:

      First off, let me apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I spent some time looking through previous messages and didn't find anything.

      Here is my dilemma: my Dad and I are flying into Merced, CA from Philadelphia on July 24th (connecting in Vegas), and we are planning on catching a YARTS bus that gets us to the valley somewhere in the 8PM hour. We are planning on getting a walk-up permit the next morning, but as such we won't have a permit that evening to camp in the backpackers camp. Anyone have any suggestions on what we should do about this first night in the park in terms of a place to lay our head?

      Thanks so much!
      Greg K.