Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Logistics Question - Camping the first night in the valley

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 30, 2010
      Tim - that's brilliant!  Good thinking out of the box.  Just chose a trail that won't go overlimit (so your unused permit does not deny one to someone who will really use it) and use the hiking permit to allow use of the backpackers camp.  Some trails (e.g., Beehive Meadows,Four Mile Trail and Mirror Lake to Snow Creek) almost never get over-subscribed so you could probably feel comfortable with claiming a permit you won't use.  Just don't claim a permit where you will be frustrating another hiker.

      Visit this URL to distinguish between popular and unpopular trailheads/destinations

      http://www.yosemite.org/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/rptFullTrailheadDates.htm

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
      415-648-9279

      On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Vickie and Tim <vickieandtim@...> wrote:

      Another option would be to get a permit from the park for an open route such as May Lake to Snow Creek. The email confirmation gives you authorization to spend the night before and the night after in the BP campground.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 30, 2010

        I agree, fantastic solution.  I marked this as a must save email.  As it is now, I booked accomodations 8 months ahead of time for Friday night, July 16, in Yosemite Valley, even though I could not apply for the permit until 6 months (or 24 weeks, I forget which) ahead of the Planned July 18 TH start date, and I was able to get accomodations for Friday night and 2 months later I was able to get a permit reservation.  However, the year before we did not have an arrangement for that Friday night and we stayed up all night waiting in the permit office line for the 2 extra walk-in permits and the rangers kept stopping by to make sure none of us were asleep -- they are adamant about overnight line-waiters that none of them sleep while waiting in line.

      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 30, 2010
          Here is the link to the backpacker campground http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm. Tim hit the nail on the head but you may run into a problem in what time you get to Yosemite and the time the wilderness office close

          From: Greg Kittridge <kittrg@...>
          Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:36:51 -0400
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Logistics Question - Camping the first night in the valley

          Thanks for the heads up, Sam. I will see what it turns up.

          Thanks,
          Greg

          On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Sam Rohlfs <samrohlfs@gmail. com> wrote:

          Have you tried craigslist for reservations?  Try this http://sfbay. craigslist. org/sby/tix/ 1816176591. html

          On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM, <ed_rodriguez52@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          Greg I heard people getting in line(camping out) at the Wilderness Office as early as 2 am. Also not sure that you want to do this but I put this out here, go to campers and ask them if you can pitch your tent in their sit (given them some money) good luck

          From: Greg Kittridge <kittrg@gmail. com>
          Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:55:56 -0400

          Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I think Camp 4 is out of the question as we won't be arriving until the evening.

          Bob (or anyone else), just to clarify, I do not have a permit reservation and was planning on getting a walk-up permit the next morning. Under these circumstances, are we still allowed to camp in the backpacker's campground? Sorry to beat a dead horse to death, but I still am confused on our options.

          Thanks!
          Greg

          On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM, <ed_rodriguez52@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          Hi Greg, here is a link where in Yosemite you can find a camping spot in the valley http://www.nps. gov/yose/ planyourvisit/ nrcamping. htm. Camp 4 maybe be your best bet. The only thing I suggest is arrive in the morning. To find a camping spot.

          From: Greg Kittridge <kittrg@gmail. com>
          Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:36:14 -0400

          Hello all:

          First off, let me apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I spent some time looking through previous messages and didn't find anything.

          Here is my dilemma: my Dad and I are flying into Merced, CA from Philadelphia on July 24th (connecting in Vegas), and we are planning on catching a YARTS bus that gets us to the valley somewhere in the 8PM hour. We are planning on getting a walk-up permit the next morning, but as such we won't have a permit that evening to camp in the backpackers camp. Anyone have any suggestions on what we should do about this first night in the park in terms of a place to lay our head?

          Thanks so much!
          Greg K.