JMT for 10 days, need exit strategys

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2005
      Unfortunetly I can now only hike 9 to 10 days on the JMT and wanted to
      get some in-put on were to get out, I plan on leaving August 10th
      leaving out of Toulume Meadows and hiking 15 to 18 miles a day with
      out a resupplying, maybe with a stop at Reds Meadows for a
      hamburger/shower, and do you think it's possible for me to get to or
      exit Kersage pass in that time or should I exit sooner at Muir Ranch?
      Or is there another possible exit on the east side which will give me
      a little relaxing time?

      Thanks for any in-put, Debbie
    • Greg Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2005
        Debbie,

        Tuolumne to Onion Valley (over Kearsarge) is about 165 miles. That would be your best
        early exit strategy, since Onion Valley is only about 8 miles from the JMT. Ten days would
        be impressive, given all the high passes, nine days even more so. People do it, but I don't
        think they're typical backpackers. As a frame of reference, I'm a strong hiker with many
        years of experience. I don't dawdle, but I'm not obssessed with geting there in a hurry. I fly
        fish and photograph every day. I don't think I could (or would want to) do Tuolumne to
        Onion Valley in 10 days.

        The other possible east-side walk-outs between Muir Ranch and Onion Valley are over
        Bishop, Taboose, Sawmill, and Baxter passes, and all are 12-15-mile routes from the JMT.
        Bishop pass, through Dust Basin, is probably the best walk of the bunch, but it has the
        same drawback as an exit at Muir Ranch: You'll miss the high passes of the JMT, Muir,
        Mather, Pinchot, Glen, and Forester. Each successive escape route costs you about one
        pass. A Bishop Pass exit would at least get you Evolution Valley, Muir Pass and part of Le
        Conte Canyon.

        I also have time constraints this summer and have decided to go from Lake Edison to
        Whitney Portal. I'm planning for 12 days without resupply. (I don't know of any easy or
        inexpensive resupply options south of Muir Ranch.) For me, the southern section of the
        trail captures the high and wild Sierra more than the area around Mammoth. For my sweat
        and time, it's the best part of the JMT.

        Enjoy,

        Greg

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <dpomerantz@g...> wrote:
        > Unfortunetly I can now only hike 9 to 10 days on the JMT and wanted to
        > get some in-put on were to get out, I plan on leaving August 10th
        > leaving out of Toulume Meadows and hiking 15 to 18 miles a day with
        > out a resupplying, maybe with a stop at Reds Meadows for a
        > hamburger/shower, and do you think it's possible for me to get to or
        > exit Kersage pass in that time or should I exit sooner at Muir Ranch?
        > Or is there another possible exit on the east side which will give me
        > a little relaxing time?
        >
        > Thanks for any in-put, Debbie
      • Singewald
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2005
          Debbie,

          If you exit out over Bishop Pass you will have the opportunity to hit Muir
          Pass, but you will miss the other high passes that Greg mentioned. Given
          the current conditions in the Sierra and the anticipation of a late melt, I
          think many would be wise to reduce the daily mileage estimates for a JMT
          hike this summer. You will encounter snow and you will encounter much
          heavier run-off that may slow your average pace.

          Have you considered the possibility of entering at Red's Meadow and going
          south from there? From Red's it is 118 miles to Kearsarge. If time permits
          once you reach this trailhead, it is only another 23 miles to Crabtree
          Meadows and the Whitney cut-off.

          Jeff

          Tuolumne to Onion Valley (over Kearsarge) is about 165 miles. That would be
          your best
          early exit strategy, since Onion Valley is only about 8 miles from the JMT.
          Ten days would
          be impressive, given all the high passes, nine days even more so. People do
          it, but I don't
          think they're typical backpackers. As a frame of reference, I'm a strong
          hiker with many
          years of experience. I don't dawdle, but I'm not obssessed with geting there
          in a hurry. I fly
          fish and photograph every day. I don't think I could (or would want to) do
          Tuolumne to
          Onion Valley in 10 days.

          The other possible east-side walk-outs between Muir Ranch and Onion Valley
          are over
          Bishop, Taboose, Sawmill, and Baxter passes, and all are 12-15-mile routes
          from the JMT.
          Bishop pass, through Dust Basin, is probably the best walk of the bunch, but
          it has the
          same drawback as an exit at Muir Ranch: You'll miss the high passes of the
          JMT, Muir,
          Mather, Pinchot, Glen, and Forester. Each successive escape route costs you
          about one
          pass. A Bishop Pass exit would at least get you Evolution Valley, Muir Pass
          and part of Le
          Conte Canyon.

          I also have time constraints this summer and have decided to go from Lake
          Edison to
          Whitney Portal. I'm planning for 12 days without resupply. (I don't know of
          any easy or
          inexpensive resupply options south of Muir Ranch.) For me, the southern
          section of the
          trail captures the high and wild Sierra more than the area around Mammoth.
          For my sweat
          and time, it's the best part of the JMT.

          Enjoy,

          Greg

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <dpomerantz@g...> wrote:
          > Unfortunetly I can now only hike 9 to 10 days on the JMT and wanted to
          > get some in-put on were to get out, I plan on leaving August 10th
          > leaving out of Toulume Meadows and hiking 15 to 18 miles a day with
          > out a resupplying, maybe with a stop at Reds Meadows for a
          > hamburger/shower, and do you think it's possible for me to get to or
          > exit Kersage pass in that time or should I exit sooner at Muir Ranch?
          > Or is there another possible exit on the east side which will give me
          > a little relaxing time?
          >
          > Thanks for any in-put, Debbie

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2005
            I figure that should be a little over 160 miles, so you could finish
            at 16 miles a day, but it's cutting it close. On the other hand, if
            you get off at Muir Trail Ranch it will be hard to get back to
            civilization and you will miss a lot of nice country. You can go
            another 40 miles from MTR, bail out over Bishop Pass to South Lake.
            That makes it easy to hitch to Bishop where there are a lot of
            transportantion options. That way you get to see Evolution Valley,
            Evolution Lakes, Muir Pass and Leconte Canyon. If you don't make it
            that far you miss the south Sierra which is much wilder. That
            itenerary is about 125-130 miles, so it should be well within your
            timeframe. - BobR

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <dpomerantz@g...> wrote:
            > Unfortunetly I can now only hike 9 to 10 days on the JMT and wanted
            > get some in-put on were to get out, I plan on leaving August 10th
            > leaving out of Toulume Meadows and hiking 15 to 18 miles a day with
            > out a resupplying, maybe with a stop at Reds Meadows for a
            > hamburger/shower, and do you think it's possible for me to get to or
            > exit Kersage pass in that time or should I exit sooner at Muir Ranch?
            > Or is there another possible exit on the east side which will give me
            > a little relaxing time?
            >
            > Thanks for any in-put, Debbie
          • dive_hike
            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2005
              Debbie, There have been some excellent suggestions. If it was up to
              me, I'd hike from Red's Meadow to Whitney Portal (about 165 miles)
              and exit at Kearsarge Pass if you get behind schedule.

              If you are set on starting at Tuolumne Meadows, can you exit to the
              West? The first exit to Cedar Grove is about 146 miles from
              Tuolumne. My map says its another 20 miles to Cedar Groove, but it
              is all down hill on a good trail - very very fast - I did it in a
              half day when hiking the Rae lake loop. If you are making good
              time, you could hike passed Rae Lakes (very nice) and over Glen Pass
              then take the next exit to Cedar Grove (about 159 miles and the 16
              miles to Cedar Grove - also an easy exit).

              Have a great hike!

              wrote:
              > Unfortunetly I can now only hike 9 to 10 days on the JMT and
              wanted
              > get some in-put on were to get out, I plan on leaving August 10th
              > leaving out of Toulume Meadows and hiking 15 to 18 miles a day with
              > out a resupplying, maybe with a stop at Reds Meadows for a
              > hamburger/shower, and do you think it's possible for me to get to
              or
              > exit Kersage pass in that time or should I exit sooner at Muir
              Ranch?
              > Or is there another possible exit on the east side which will give
              me
              > a little relaxing time?
              >
              > Thanks for any in-put, Debbie
            • Vera Lehmkuhl
              Message 6 of 6 , May 17, 2005
                Jeff,
                do you think it will take more than the traditional 20 to 21 days to do the JMT this summer than? We have 21 days to do the whole thing from Little Yosemite to Whitney Portal.

                Also, please express opinion concerning resuppling at all 4 spots thus reducing pack weight and allowing us flatlanders time to acclimate to the thin air? :) If this sounds stupid...(be kind I am a newbie western hiker :) please give alternate ideas....
                thanks,
                74 days and counting,
                vera

                Yahoo! Groups Links