5 things to know about Foot Repair

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 29, 2010
      Great short piece.

      Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:

      via Brett on Stuff by brettm on 6/28/10

      Nothing ruins a backpacking trip more than a foot full of blisters.

      tim-foot

      Whether you’re a traditionalist with heavy leather boots, going the Ultralight way with trail runners, or breaking new ground with funny rubber feet, you will benefit from a little preventative maintenance on the trail to ensure fond memories.

      Here are five great tips for keeping your feet nice and healthy on the trail:

      1. Pay Attention
      Before blister form you will start to feel little hot-spots in your feet. If you start to get the tiniest sensation of this then STOP IMMEDIATLEY and apply prevention to the affected area. Don’t just ignore it and hope it will go away in a mile or two.

      2. Lube Up
      A recent discovery for me is Hydropel. It’s a thick Vaseline-like foot lubricant that goes on thick and provides and excellent barrier between your feet and socks. I find that one application of Hydropel each morning lasts all day and keeps the doctor away.

      hydropel-L[1]

      3. Leukotape
      Forget moleskin and messy tincture of benzoin. Leukotape welcomes you to the twenty first century. This is a very strong rigid tape that is easily torn to size. Once applies the zinc oxide adhesive makes sure it’s not going anywhere. No matter if you have freshly bathed stream feet or sweaty hydropel stink feet, this sucker isn’t going to come off in a hurry. Does a great job at preventing further irritation and friction on a developing blister.

      In a pinch, duct-tape works surprisingly well also.
       BSN_LeukotapeTape _LG

      4. Soothing stream foot baths
      Hot tired feet at the end of the day? Make sure you clean then really well each night. Dip them in a nearby river and wash away all that grime. With ultralight shoes, the quick-drying mesh means that a lot of dust and soil penetrates both shoes and socks, so filthy feet ensue.

      5. Toe Socks
      Injinji makes some pretty cool toe socks. Designed to separate your toes with a special anti-friction membrane that is light and breathable. These suckers are actually surprisingly comfy. If you’re prone to blisters between your toes – these could be just the ticket.

      injinji_performance_mini-crew_toe-sock_celery-green300[1]

      Things you can do from here:

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2010
          More on this topic at:

          http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Taping

          It is from a runner's perspective, but applies to us as well.

          Both Leukotape (in Roleigh's post) and Mastisol (noted at the link above) sound like interesting products.

          I like Tincture of Benzoin for securing bandages/dressings anywhere (not just related to blisters) and Mastisol sounds like an upgrade.  And Leukotape sounds like an upgrade from other forms of anti-blister taping.

          Anybody had personal experience with either product?

          San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
          415-648-9279

          On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Roleigh Martin <marti124@...> wrote:

          > Great short piece.
          >

          > Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:
          >

          > 5 things to know about Foot Repair

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 29, 2010
            I use Leukotape, works well for me. Latest use was securing broken pinky toe to it's neighbor. When my podiatrist saw it he was amazed that I knew about it. I guess it's very popular with podiatrists but he didn't realize it was known of by "amateurs."

            Barbara

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 29, 2010
              I've used Leuckotape with Tincture of Benzoin for 2 years now and starting last year I added this tape

              Omnifix Dressing Retention Tape - 2" x 10 yards http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ANS1YS/ref=oss_product

              This tape is favored by some PCT hikers and it is far more breathable and lightweight than LeuckoTape.  I bring both tape along and use different tape for different situations.  I will bring both types in 2010 as well.

            • Barb
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
                Where can this Leuckotape be bought? I apologize if this has been answered but I am mobile and don't have the chance to read all posts.
                Thanks!
                Barb
                Sent from my iPhone
              • Don Amundson
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
                  Backpackinglight.com,  Amazon,  Medical supply houses  Just Google Leukotape and take your pick.

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
                    Thanks Don. Since I am on the road was hoping someone knew of an
                    actual store where this is available as it would be difficult to order
                    online.

                    Barb

                    Sent from my iPhone
                  • Don Amundson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010

                      Barb--You should be able to find a medical equipment/supply store in just about any city.  There are 4 of them within 5 miles of where I live.

                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
                        On 7/2/2010 12:00 PM, Barb wrote:
                        > Thanks Don. Since I am on the road was hoping someone knew of an
                        > actual store where this is available as it would be difficult to order
                        > online.

                        amazon has it - not sure whats easier than to buy online unless you need
                        it today

                        http://www.amazon.com/BSN-BR76168-Leukotape-P-Single/dp/B002C9KRKA
                      • Connie
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
                          Drugstores and big box stores carry these.
                          As for foot repair, duct tape works well, too.  The only issue is the heavy weight of one roll.
                          That stuff also works well on hotspots. I've taped my toes before running marathons and never got a blister where there was duct tape.  Special Forces use duct tape for this reason, too.  The stuff also acts as a decent splint on broken or sprained ankles.

                          To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
                            I just went to Walgreens, (in Maryland)  today looking for it and they didn't have it, actually the woman at the pharmacy counter looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for it and showed her the name.  I'm going on line now to order it, think it will be easier and faster.

                            Cheri

                            To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 2, 2010
                              Thanks for the suggestions everyone. As mentioned I am on the road so
                              the problem is not having an address to mail to but I'll look around
                              at some of the places mentioned.
                              Grazie
                              Barb

                              Sent from my iPhone