[John Muir Trail] Lighweight Stoves (was hiking with children)

  • David J.
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2005
      Altitude doesn't seem to be as much a factor with isobutane
      canisters as temperarture. I probably wouldn't use them for
      winter camping, but I've never had a problem in summer or fall.
      With the MSR Pocket Rocket stove wind and stability are
      considerations. I usually set it up on the lee side of a rock. Then
      I also use the rock to help stabalize the pot and to help protect
      the pot from being accidentally knocked over. Some people carry
      lightweight windshields which wrap around the stove. Larger
      pots can be a problem on this tiny stove, but for an adult and two
      children, it will support an adequate sized pot.

      For more information see
      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves
      /MSR%20Pocket%20Rocket/

      - David J.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl
      <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
      > have you had any issues with cannisters at altitude? or just if
      its cold?
      > vera
      >
      > "David J." <dhj@i...> wrote:
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Wittkowske
      > <dwittkowske@y...> wrote:
      > First question, what type/brand of stove do you suggest? It
      > definitely needs to be light
      > >

      > I really like the MSR Pocket Rocket. It weighs only 3.2 ounces.
      > It's very small and easy to operate. It uses isobutane. An
      isopro
      > canister weighs 4 ounces.
      >
      > - David J.

      Service.

    • Vera Lehmkuhl
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2005
        I would totally agree with David concerning the stability and pot size issues iwth the MSR pocket rocket. I have used this stove for years and found that for 1/2 people and a 1400 SnowPeak Ti pot it works great...must have windscreen to block wind (dont' put it too close to the stove as the reflected heat might heat up the cannister and cause issues...can you say BOOM?... Any bigger pot and it wont perform well. Also, anything bigger and it is just to unstable. I like the Primus Trail...hmmm can't remember but will check name...it has a slightly larger burner and more stable potstand...

        I have switched to alcohol stoves and out east this is what I use however we are considering bringing the Jet Boil ....

        vera

        <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
        > have you had any issues with cannisters at altitude? or just if
        its cold?
        > vera
        >
        > "David J." <dhj@i...> wrote:
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Wittkowske
        > <dwittkowske@y...> wrote:
        > First question, what type/brand of stove do you suggest? It
        > definitely needs to be light
        > >

        > I really like the MSR Pocket Rocket. It weighs only 3.2 ounces.
        > It's very small and easy to operate. It uses isobutane. An
        isopro
        > canister weighs 4 ounces.
        >
        > - David J.

        Service.

      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2005
          Last year I went out with a friend who had purchased a Snow Peak
          Titanium stove. I liked it so much I got one myself. I have used it
          at home and it works great. I don't recall us having any problems with
          wind last year, but one can always cook behind a natural wind
          deflector. I look forward to trying it out in the field with my new
          Snow Peak Titanium Solo Cook Set. Oh, how I love the new toys!!

          Prapanna

          A vast surrender was his only strength.
          Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

        • Mike Pust
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2005
            I love the new toys too, and have used several
            different stoves. I get about four seasons out of a
            stove before problems begin to develop (I pack a lot).
            So, I've gone back to my 30 year old, bomb proof,
            Svea. No frills, no speed records, but it simmers and
            always works.
            Mike

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/WkiolB/TM

            === message truncated ===

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • Debbie Wittkowske
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7, 2005
              I would like to offer a BIG thanks to all of you for your advice. My girls are taking me out for Mother's Day to a camping store for new sleeping bags (I'm not suppose to know!) I'll check into the MSR Pocket Rocket and the Snow Peak Titanium Stove.

              The only other major gear issue I have is deciding on a water filter system. I'm not too concerned about the amount of pumping; the girls will be doing that! I just need something easy and lightweight.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 7, 2005
                Go to REI. They are having a HUGE sale right now. I just got some
                superfeet for my new Merrill's today.

                On May 7, 2005, at 5:16 PM, Debbie Wittkowske wrote:

> [...]
                >>> /MSR%20Pocket%20Rocket/
                >>>
                >>> - David J.
                >>>

                >>> --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera
                >> altitude? or just if
                >>> its cold?

                >> Wittkowske
                >> you suggest? It

                >> only 3.2 ounces.
                >> isobutane. An
                >>> isopro

                >> Yahoo! Terms of
                >>> Service.

                >> removed]

                >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                >> Yahoo! Terms of
                >>> Service.

                >> removed]
                >>>

                >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
                >>> • To visit your group on the web, go to:
                >>>
                >>> • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                >> to:
                >>>
                >>> • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

              • Paul England
                Message 7 of 14 , May 7, 2005
                  The best water filter I have used - and I've tried a bunch - is the PUR Hiker, now owned by Katadyn, but I think it is still called the Hiker. It has never clogged, unlike my friend's more expensive and heavier ceramic filter. It weighs well under a pound. If you need virus protection, you can add an iodine element, but I have never needed to worry about that.

                  On stoves - I just got a JetBoil - which I am dying to try out. In the kitchen, it boiled almost a quart of water in about four minutes! That is much faster than my SnowPeak.
                  paul

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2005
                    This is how I woke up this morning: "Happy Mother's Day! We're taking you to REI to buy new camping stuff, Mom." I guess they noticed how the REI sale catalog is beginning to tear and fade from repeated use. I'll look into the Snow Peak, MSR Pocket Rocket, Jet Boil and the Pur Hiker. I don't think I'll buy anything yet. But then again, it is Mother's Day maybe I'll ask my children ;)

                    Happy Mother's Day to All the Moms!!!