FW: packing a canister

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
    Before and after shots. Just showing how a hammer can help with packing a
    bear canister. Sorry the focus is a bit off. :-)
  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
      Say Barbara, did you use the hammer to pound the freeze dry food(making more compact)? If so did you try to cook it, was thinking about but was worry that the dinner will turn like a soup.

      From: "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...>
      Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:30:23 -0700
      To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] FW: packing a canister [2 Attachments]

      Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010

        Yep, used the hammer exactly that way – it’s not completely pulverized!  If I don’t add too much water it should be fine….

        Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
          Cool that will free up more space in my canister. Thanks for that tip

          From: "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...>
          Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:44:48 -0700
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

          From: "Barbara Karagosian" < barbara@mkpe. com >

          Sender: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

          Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:30:23 -0700

          To: <johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com>

          Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
            Barbara, this is one photo a nd one txt file.  Is there another photo?

            On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:
            <*>[Attachment(s) from Barbara Karagosian included below]

            Before and after shots.  Just showing how a hammer can help with packing a
            bear canister.  Sorry the focus is a bit off.  :-)

            <*>Attachment(s) from Barbara Karagosian:

             <*> photo.jpg

             <*> ATT00168.txt

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 6 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010

              Just one photo.  My weird iPhone.

              On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe. com> wrote:

              <*>[Attachment( s) from Barbara Karagosian included below]

              Before and after shots.  Just showing how a hammer can help with packing a
              bear canister.  Sorry the focus is a bit off.  :-)

              <*>Attachment(s) from Barbara Karagosian:

              <*> 1 of 1 Photo(s) http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/johnmuirtr ail/attachments/ folder/789625172 /item/list
               <*> photo.jpg

              <*> 1 of 1 File(s) http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/johnmuirtr ail/attachments/ folder/789625172 /item/list
               <*> ATT00168.txt

            • jellen1517
              Message 7 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
                Hi all - Here's what we do:

                Take all but ONE of your freeze-dried meals out of the silver foil hard to squeeze into canister packaging. I buy Ziploc "expandable bottom" plastic bags (I found mine in costco in a 3-box set - and they are gallon size, though you could use a smaller size). These bags will accept boiling water - I tried it at home before leaving to make sure.

                So - I open the original packaging, pour the freeze-dried meal into plastic bag, write instructions on outside, and that's it. Easy to store in bear canister. The ONE original silver foil package is used as a "cozy" to keep the food warm. I don't get it dirty - just put the plastic bag with the meal inside the silver foil bag, add boiling water, close, and wait. You should remember to pack one extra plastic ziploc bag - for the one meal that's in the original packaging.

                This works for a week - after a week the original foil "cozy" gets kind of "used up" - so I make sure my re-supply is packed accordingly for the next week.

                Jane
              • targetdoggmechanic
                Message 8 of 8 , Jun 22, 2010
                  That's exactly what I do. I can fit 12-13 days in my bearicade expedition cannister this way. I repackage ALL of the MH meals I get from a #10 can, then include 1 regular pouch that is also repackaged into ziplock. I reuse the pouch over and over as a cozy until the next resupply and I get a new one. Works great and all you have to do is throw the used ziplock into your trash bag and thats it.