Great Web Page provides History of the JMT Trail itself

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2010
      Hey, I found a great web page that goes into the history of  the JMT.

      http://jmt.sierra-hikes.com/JMT.html

      History of the John Muir Trail

      In 1884, Theodore Solomons was the first to have the vision of a high-elevation trail, passable by stock, which followed the spine of the Sierra from Yosemite Valley to Kings Canyon. He was only 14. "The idea of a crest-parallel trail through the High Sierra came to me one day while herding my uncle's cattle in an immense, unfenced alfalfa field near Fresno," he wrote in the Sierra Club Bulletin in 1940.

      ....[visit the link to read the whole narrative]

      © copyright 2010 Sierra Hikes
      Design by: Steve Singkofer

      Sources

      Much of the info on this site was extracted from John Muir Trail: The essential guide to hiking America's most famous trail by Elizabeth Wenk with Kathy Morey.
      Copyright © 2007 by Wilderness Press. Please purchase the book for some of the best detailed information about the JMT.

      The remainder of the text was written by Steve Singkofer with information gleaned from various sources.

    • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2010
        Thanks found that one to

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2010
          There is a trail to the west of JMT referred to as the Theodore Solomons Trail. It starts in Yosemite and ends at Horseshoe Mdw. Along the way it goes through Tehipite Valley. Roads's End. and Mineral King.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13, 2010
            What I found interesting about this is how the and where they got all their names that you see on the maps

            From: hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 19:33:18 -0000
            To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>