Spot -user share-

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2010
      I don't owen a spot, but I was reading in someone PCT journal and a section hiker had to get air lifted off the trail and I was wondering, if you had a spot and came to my add and push the 911 button how will that effect you the owner. Is it like AAA as long you are with a the group that group is cover. At the end of your member ship do you have to pay extra because you push the 911 button
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2010
        It doesn't matter who the Spot is pushed for - the alarm is activated and
        help will come if it can. The issue is whether the evacuee will get charged
        once s/he is rescued. There is an insurance one can get when one gets a
        Spot, but from everything I have read, evacuees tend NOT to be charged. So
        if I push my 911 button for you Ed, you'll be OK!

        I don't owen a spot, but I was reading in someone PCT journal and a section
        hiker had to get air lifted off the trail and I was wondering, if you had a
        spot and came to my add and push the 911 button how will that effect you the
        owner. Is it like AAA as long you are with a the group that group is cover.
        At the end of your member ship do you have to pay extra because you push the
        911 button
        Sent on the SprintR Now Network from my BlackBerryR

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2010
          Cool thanks Barbara now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Let hope that the evacuees don't get charge. Over the past 2 years I hear a lot about spot before there was no need for one in my pack but now my feeling has change.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2010
            Good question, Spot lets everyone in your group signup for rescue cost insurance at about $12 a head.  We did that last year, our group, even though only one was a spot owner.  So in the event the authorities seek cost reimbursement, the insurance is there that might help you (provided fine print terms are met, etc., as I'm sure our good lawyer friend, John will comment -- he did some research on this).

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2010
              As Roleigh says, I think your risk of any rescue charges is so small that rescue cost insurance is unnecessary.  American S&R agencies have a strong policy of NOT charging rescue costs (because they don't want to discourage requests for help).  Also, there were also so many exclusions in the policy language that I was annoyed with Spot for offering it.  If anyone is interested, I'll forward the posting. (Let me know off-board and I'll send it to you)

              San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
              415-648-9279
            • John
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 13, 2010
                Current NPS policy in SEKI as I understand it, is to evacuate if there is a "danger to (losing) life or limb". This is left to the discretion of the attending Ranger.

                If you activate your SPOT, most likely there isn't a Ranger present. In the case of Yosemite and SEKI I believe a spot call will end up being eventually routed to the NPS (which has jurisdiction over rescues in these parks).

                A Park Service helicopter (or contract ship) will be dispatched. IF the incident IS life or limb threatening you won't be charged for the service.

                This is all very different if you are in National Forest Wilderness. There, local counties are responsible for search and rescue. They usually do not have helicopters around. It takes a bit more effort to find a ship in these cases and counties are strapped for cash.

                That being said, I still don't know of a "life or limb" patient that has been charged for evac in the Sierra.

                JD
                www.johndittli.com