hiking with children

  • dwittkowske
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 5:10 PM
      Does anyone have any advice for hiking with children? I'm a single
      mom with two girls (5 and 7) who LOVE to hike. The youngest hiked
      the Vernal/Nevada Falls in Yosemite from Curry Village (i.e. about 8
      miles..up Mist Trail and down John Muir) the day AFTER she turned 5
      followed by a level 4 mile hike the next day! It was what she wanted
      for her birthday :)

      They want to hike Mt. Whitney and the John Muir Trail next summer.
      I need advice on camping gear (since I'll be carrying most, if not
      all, of it) and pacing them as well as practice hikes of 1-4
      days/nights. We live in Tracy,CA (South of Stockton...North of
      Fresno). We have only been car camping for less than a year.
      Therefore, we lack experience.

      We are going to Tuolumne Meadows from June 24-July 6 to do a lot of
      hiking. Let us know if we can be of assistance to anyone.

      Thank you for your help.
    • Singewald
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 7:59 PM
        You may need to look into alternative plans. From recent posts on other
        lists, it appears that the Tioga Road will not be cleared of snow until mid
        July. It is possible that the road will be cleared as far up as TM by late
        June, but it is not certain at this point.

        There was a link on the PCT-L list group last week that provided up-to-date
        info on the plowing of Tioga Road. If I can find it again, I will shoot you
        the link via email.

        Jeff

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Singewald
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 8:30 PM
          Here is a link to a website that provides up-to-date data on plowing of
          Tioga road. You should be able to track whether you will be able to get
          into TM by June 24.

          Jeff

            Message 5 of 5 , May 3 1:14 PM
              Lucky you to have kids who love hiking! My teen guys won't even go
              backpacking with me...but then I think that's primarily due to over-heavy over-difficult
              Scout experiences...a lesson to anyone here involved with scouts. Meanwhile
              I'm accumulating light gear to help persuade them to change their minds :-)

              I don't know if Paige Falk is on this list, but she hikes a lot with her
              young daughters. If she's not here, you can visit her website at
              http://sierrapaige.com/ and contact her from there.

              There are several books on hiking/camping with children. Mainly the message
              is to remember to go slower, expect them to want to explore a lot, to need
              encouragement in the way of frequent snacks, to want to stop at every place there
              is to play in water, and to expect everything to take longer.

              I don't really know how you could take all the equipment for 3...3 bags and
              pads, tent, food, clothes, bear can, etc. I would think they could at least
              carry their own bags/pads, snacks/water, and maybe some clothes. That would only
              be around 5 lb. Can you recruit another adult to come along to share some of
              the extra gear?

              Some practice overnighters close to home would be a good idea to make sure on
              equipment, clothing layers, food they'll eat, etc.

              Hope this helps! Did you know a 10 yr old girl thru-hiked the PCT last year
              with her parents? The whole way!

              Becki
              near Sacramento