[John Muir Trail] Re: 2005 vs. 1982 Snow

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2005
      There really wasn't a lot of guesssork when we did it. Most of the
      trail was visible with small patchs of snow for the most part. An
      added plus was that previous hikers had made a path through the snowy
      parts for us to follow. It was good that we didn't have any problems
      as my son was only 10 years old when we did it.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
      > ack...one does that by topo maps and compass and general knowledge
      of how to read topos, right? :)

      > dive_hike <dive_hike@y...> wrote:
      > This year is about the same as '82 at this point. The Upper Tyndall
      > Creek sensor registered 37.7" on April 30, 1982 (currently 39.6").
      > The same is true at Mammoth - about the same. 1998 wasn't much
      > worse at this point (46.5") but we had a very cool spring and a slow
      > melt. Hopefully it will warm up soon!
      >
      > Hikers in late July / early August will probably experience similar
      > conditions as your hike. You made a good point about route finding:
      > although there are usually footprints to follow, it is helpful to
      > have a general idea where the trail goes.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I was sondering how the snow this year compares with 81-82? I did
      > JMT
      > > in '82. We started August 1 from Happy Isles and had snow on
      > almost
      > > every pass. The only ones that didn't have snow were Island Pass
      > and
      > > Trail Crest. We exited over Trail Crest August 25 so it had some
      > time
      > > to melt. Donahue Pass was hidden from the north side. People
      > coming
      > > from the south just came down the hill to the upper lake on the
      > north
      > > side. I though I had the trail but lost it soon so we just headed
      > > straight up till we hit the top of the ridge then looked for the
      > pass
      > > and found it a hundred yards or so away. Most passes had some snow
      > > with paths already punched out but the south side of Muir Pass was
      > > solid snow to below Helen Lk. We had no real troubles with the
      > snow
      > > but it was there.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Ack...so we'll hit the some passes with snow...we are hiking
      > mostly
      > > in Aug...will check in later in May to see how things are
      > going...is
      > > anything melting out there? Its really still cold and raining here
      > in
      > > IN ...last SAT I ran in snow flurries...blah...
      > > >
      > > > vera
      > > >
      > > > dive_hike <dive_hike@y...> wrote:
      > > > This is the heaviest snow year since '98. The north (Yosemite
      > > > Mammoth) had an especially heavy snowfall year.
      > > >
      > > > Right now it looks like all passes will be clear around mid-
      > August.
      > > > For those hikers going in July - plan accordingly - you will be
      > on
      > > > snow on several passes. Try to cross the passes when the snow is
      > > > soft (later in the day), especially Forester Pass.
      > > >
      > > > Hopefully we will have a warm spring. Enjoy!

      > Service.

    • dive_hike
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28, 2006
        First the bad news:

        This year has seen record snowfall for the Northern portion of the
        JMT. Mammoth received 664" total - an alltime record!
        http://www.mammothmountain.com/
        Click on Snowfall History

        In Yosemite, Tioga Road plowing will begin on Monday (May 1st).
        Although there is no estimated completion date, it will probably
        open in late June (or even early July). You can follow the progress
        here:
        http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/tioga.htm

        And some good news:

        The Southern portion of the JMT had above average snowfall, but less
        than the record years. As an example, Upper Tyndall Creek (UTY)
        currently has 28.30" of snow water content. In 1998, UTY had 46.5"
        on April 28th and in 1983 it had 61.7". Crabtree has 25.8" snow
        water content, it had 52.4" in 1983.

        And some even better news:

        The weather has turned very warm and is forecast to stay warm for
        the next week or more. Spring is here! It was over 80F in Yosemite
        Valley today, and was warm in Mammoth too. Here is the NWS forecast
        for Yosemite:
        http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/printable_forecast.php?
        wfo=hnx&zone=caz096&county=cac043

        The Spring melt has started. The Merced River station at Happy
        Isles just set a new all time flow record for an April 28th. The
        melt is starting a couple of weeks earler than last year and might
        really help:
        http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/mercedStages.html

        To watch the snow in Yosemite, I suggest this live cam of Half Dome
        from near Sentinel Dome:
        http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/sentinelcam.htm

        There is still plenty of snow on Half Dome and Clouds Rest.

        I'll be hiking San Jacinto next weekend and I'll check the snow.
        SoCal is supposed to have a warming trend this coming week too and I
        think San Jacinto will be clear soon.

        Best to all.