Reds to Iva Bell distance?

  • T Quan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
      Hello,

      I'm planning a backpacking trip with the goal of reaching a hot springs. The ideal distance is about 30 mi on trail. I've been reading up on Iva Bell Hot Springs out of Red's Meadows. I've come across trail reports that puts the distance at 14 mi. When I look at my JMT Tom Harrison map, it seems like it's 20+ mi on trail. Is the 14 mi assuming cross-country travel? I would appreciate if anyone can shed some details about this hike. Thank you.

      Tung
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
        My son and I went via JMT to Purple Lk then down to Fish Ck. Followed down to the hot springs. From there to Island Crossing took maybe a couple hours. From Island Crossing we walked out, uphill, to R4ed'a in about half a day. It's been a while and I estimated it would take us longer than it did so it's likely around 8 miles to Island Crossing and maybe 4 more to the hot springs. All this is an experience guess on my part because I don't have access to my notes right now.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, T Quan <pnw1992@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm planning a backpacking trip with the goal of reaching a hot springs. The ideal distance is about 30 mi on trail. I've been reading up on Iva Bell Hot Springs out of Red's Meadows. I've come across trail reports that puts the distance at 14 mi. When I look at my JMT Tom Harrison map, it seems like it's 20+ mi on trail. Is the 14 mi assuming cross-country travel? I would appreciate if anyone can shed some details about this hike. Thank you.
        >
        > Tung

      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
          I left out thee part about seeing a backpacker on crutches about 4 or 5 mules from Red's. It's all trail too.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > My son and I went via JMT to Purple Lk then down to Fish Ck. Followed down to the hot springs. From there to Island Crossing took maybe a couple hours. From Island Crossing we walked out, uphill, to R4ed'a in about half a day. It's been a while and I estimated it would take us longer than it did so it's likely around 8 miles to Island Crossing and maybe 4 more to the hot springs. All this is an experience guess on my part because I don't have access to my notes right now.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, T Quan <pnw1992@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I'm planning a backpacking trip with the goal of reaching a hot springs. The ideal distance is about 30 mi on trail. I've been reading up on Iva Bell Hot Springs out of Red's Meadows. I've come across trail reports that puts the distance at 14 mi. When I look at my JMT Tom Harrison map, it seems like it's 20+ mi on trail. Is the 14 mi assuming cross-country travel? I would appreciate if anyone can shed some details about this hike. Thank you.
          > >
          > > Tung

        • targetdoggmechanic
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
            That mileage sounds pretty close. I left from Red's meadow and missed
            the red cones part of the JMT and went towards fish creek by mistake.
            By the time I realized what I did about 4 miles from the junction, I
            just kept going, but it was a nice detour. I made it from Red's to Iva
            Bell Hotsprings in about 5-6 hrs and it was mostly downhill. The trail
            takes you through the rainbow fire area, then onto some nice slabs
            overlooking the San Joaquin canyon. It is hard to see the trail here
            and it is marked with ducks. Finally, you go down some hot dusty
            exposed switchbacks to a place called Island Crossing (a bridge here).
            From here, it is a few miles east up fish creek to the turnoff to the
            hotspring, where you cross on a log and go north. Right away, you come
            to some good campsites, but go uphill a bit, veer slightly right off the
            main trail and you will find some more good sites at the outer edge of a
            long-grass meadow nearer to the hotsprings, which are in the meadow,
            just follow the hot water trickles that come out of it. There are 2
            pools, nice temperature. There is a faint use trail through the meadow
            that leads to them. Kind of easy to miss but look around and you will
            find them.

            If you want, on the way back you can head back out the way you came back
            to Red's, or you can go up the trail from the hotspring that will take
            you to Purple Lake and loop back to Red's, or better yet back track to
            the fish creek trail across the log, head up fish creek to Lake of the
            Lone Indian, down to Squaw lake, Tully's Hole, Lake Virginia, Purple
            Lake, Duck Creek, Deer Creek, Red Cones, then back to Red's for a bit
            longer loop. Not sure the mileage on the last one but I think it's
            close to your 30 mile goal and is a great hike with plenty of scenery
            that the JMT has to offer.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, T Quan <pnw1992@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm planning a backpacking trip with the goal of reaching a hot
            springs. The ideal distance is about 30 mi on trail. I've been reading
            up on Iva Bell Hot Springs out of Red's Meadows. I've come across trail
            reports that puts the distance at 14 mi. When I look at my JMT Tom
            Harrison map, it seems like it's 20+ mi on trail. Is the 14 mi assuming
            cross-country travel? I would appreciate if anyone can shed some details
            about this hike. Thank you.

            > Tung

          • b b
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
              Not sure of the distance, 12 miles sounds about right... I record times, and in 2000, I recorded it as a six hour hike; in 2004 I've got leaving Red's Meadow at 08:30 and reaching Fish Creek / Iva Bell Hot Springs before 16:00. The desire to reach camp before afternoon thunderstorms likely quickened my pace on the first trip.

              The trail is steep, hot and dusty. If you're looking to loop it with Purple Lake then it's better to go down from Reds Meadow, then up Fish Creek towards Purple and back down to Reds.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
                I'm pretty sure that the distance between Reds Meadow (measured from the junction of the JMT and Fish Creek Trial) and Iva Bell, and then to rejoin the JMT at Purple Lake in the vicinity of 17+ miles.  We had a Wilderness Press PCT Guidebook when we (me, my daughter and some of her friends) did it in 2008 and thought it under-emphasized the effort required.

                If you leave the SoBo JMT near Reds Meadow on Fish Creek Trail and, after visiting the Spring, rejoin it at Purple Lake, you will go thru a burned-over area which isn't particularly attractive. The last part of the climb up to Iva Bell is up a very pretty narrow stream valley, but there is a long, ugly (and hot) stretch first along the Cascade Valley Trail.

                BTW, here's the location of the Springs

                Latitude: 37.53167 : Longitude: -119.02444

                I found the co-ordinates on a reliable site and confirmed it with the Spot signal I sent home in 2008.

                http://www.placenames.com/search/

                I made a map, while trying to understand my trail notes

                http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=102626430010297754856.00048863048012db46e50&ll=37.572066,-118.997726&spn=0.202724,0.299034&t=p&z=12

                Here's my brief description of the route

                Hiking SoBo from the John Muir Trail near Reds Meadow, it is about 12 miles to Iva Bell with a drop of 1,500 ft and then a climb of 1,000. To rejoin JMT after a visit to the Springs, go about 5 miles and climb 2,700 ft.  The first section South of the JMT on Fish Creek Trail can be exposed and hot and passes thru a burn area.  The rest of the sidetrip is pretty.  Best way to find the Springs is to notice runoff from the Springs as it crosses Fish Creek Trail.  The runoff from the springs will be noticeably warmer than other water crossing the trail. Total mileage is similar to staying on the JMT, but there is more elevation change.

                San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
                415-648-9279

                On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:17 AM, T Quan <pnw1992@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I'm planning a backpacking trip with the goal of reaching a hot springs.  The ideal distance is about 30 mi on trail.  I've been reading up on Iva Bell Hot Springs out of Red's Meadows.  I've come across trail reports that puts the distance at 14 mi.  When I look at my JMT Tom Harrison map, it seems like it's 20+ mi on trail.  Is the 14 mi assuming cross-country travel?  I would appreciate if anyone can shed some details about this hike.  Thank you.
                >
                > Tung

                > <*> Your email settings:
                >    Individual Email | Traditional
                >
                > <*> To change settings online go to:
                >    (Yahoo! ID required)
                >
                > <*> To change settings via email:
                >    johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
                >    johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                >    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • T Quan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2010
                  Thank you all for the feedback.  After reading your comments, I do see a different Southbound trail that passes by Rainbow Falls and is ~12-14 mi to Iva Bell.  For some reason, I was solely focused on taking the JMT down to the springs, which is a longer hike.

                  This is truly a fantastic community!  Thank you again for your input.