NWS flood watch Yosemite Valley this weekend

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
      Not that this probably affects any of us directly, but a good reminder of the impact of deep snow on stream crossings:

      .. Flood Watch in effect from Saturday evening through Monday
      morning for Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park...

      The National Weather Service in Hanford has issued a

      * Flood Watch specifically for Yosemite Valley in Yosemite
      National Park.

      * From Saturday evening through Monday morning

      * above normal temperatures this weekend combined with melting
      snow over the higher elevations will create rises in water
      levels along the Merced River in Yosemite National Park during
      the next several nights. The Merced River at pohono bridge is
      expected to crest near flood stage early Sunday morning then
      peak just above flood stage early Monday morning and probably
      again early Tuesday morning.

      * Even when the upper Merced River remains below flood stage...
      there are dangers imposed by the high water levels and the swift
      cold current.

      * Residents... campers and hikers should closely monitor water
      levels along the upper Merced River and heed the advice of park
      officials when and if evacuations become necessary.

    • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
        Thanks John that just crazy guess the good thing is what melts (run off) to day is less than what we have to deal with later

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010

          OK I can't stand it anymore. I am heading out to Yosemite and heading up towards Merced Lake or maybe Clouds Rest. I am thinking some of the rest of you might be as antsie to get out ther as I am so.......I am going to wear my JMTgroup badge in hopes of meeting up with anyone. Worst cast scenario I will get stuck up there if it floods. Oh dear. Happy trails.
          Linda

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010
            Wish I could join you, I feel the same way!

            Barbara

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010
              Wish you could! I only live about 3 1/2 hours away so it is really hard to resist. Browsing through these messages when I can't get out sure helps. Thanks for the group whoever got this started and for all of you for keeping it going.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010
                Linda Reitz wrote:

                > Wish you could! I only live about 3 1/2 hours away so it is really
                > hard to resist. Browsing through these messages when I can't get out
                > sure helps. Thanks for the group whoever got this started and for all
                > of you for keeping it going.

                I'm 40 hours away, but I'm going... in 20 days....
              • Sam Rohlfs
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010
                  If there is a flood warning, can you imagine how awesome the Mist Trail must be...so awesome. I went there in mid May and the stream gauge was 1500cfs. Now it must be around 3000.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2010
                    Gosh its getting close...the anticipation will get worse once we all start hitting the trail. Hope to see some of you out there...enjoy and be safe!

                    Barbara