Re: [John Muir Trail] Red's Meadow Re-supply?

  • Jim Martin
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 29 6:57 PM
      I hiked the JMT late summer 2003. We only had one
      resupply at Vermillion which is a fun place to stop
      and I highly recommend it. I would skip Red's and
      Muir Ranch in favor of Vermillion.

      Do keep the Kearsarge Pass resupply if possible since
      you have a friend doing all the work. With only one
      resupply, we were running low toward the end of the
      trip and resorted to begging for food and fuel which
      worked surprising well since most weekenders tend to
      bring too much. Plus, some of the backcountry ranger
      stations have hiker boxes where you can leave or take
      food as you need.

      Have a great trip !!!!

      WVhikerdude
      http://209.238.151.128/johnmuirtrail2003.htm

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/5iY7fA/6WnJAA/Y3ZIAA/WkiolB/TM

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 29 7:08 PM
        If you are able to resupply at Kearsarge without
        having to go into Lone Pine, you have it made. While
        I have had luck hitching from Lone Pine, there is a
        good chance of a long wait for a ride.

        I wouldn't count on the bear boxes at the Kearsarge
        parking lot as I have had items 'misappropriated' from
        them in the past.

        Thomas

        --- Jim Martin <anasazipottery@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > >
        > > > Thomas Taylor
        > > > tgtaylor7@...
        > > > http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

        > Yahoo!
        > > Terms of
        > > > Service.

        > > removed]
        > > >

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > > > � To visit your group on the web, go to:
        > > >
        > > > � To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
        > > to:
        > > >
        > > > � Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        > > Yahoo! Terms of
        > > > Service.

        > > removed]
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > removed]
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > removed]

        > > --------------------~-->
        > > Give the gift of life to a sick child.
        > > Support St. Jude Children's Research Hospital's

        === message truncated ===

        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 29 8:40 PM
          cool, don't think we will see you at all...hope all goes well...:)
          where did you see that Muir Ranch allows you to use the Hot Springs? can you just go out into the field and use the one out there? :)

          Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
          I'm heading out of Yosemite on July 7. I'm taking my time this year
          and plan to enjoy the JMT for 31 days. Snow conditions permitting I
          may detour to Lakes Basin for a couple to days as well. Sure hope the
          elements are working on the snow by now.

          On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:46 AM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

          > thanks for the info and AGAIN sorry about the repost of this very
          > question....:)
          > you are on top of it Prapanna...how soon are you leaving?
          > vera
          >
          > Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
          > There is a backpackers camp at Red's Meadow where you can stay for
          > night while you get your package and have a hot spring bath. I am sure
          > you can prepare and eat your own meals in the camp. There is also a
          > cafe right next to the store where you can have fair to good
          > breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. In fact, in my own meal planning for
          > the JMT this summer I have factored in two meals (dinner and breakfast)
          > at Red's Meadow and also at Vermillion Valley resort, that makes four
          > meals I won't have to carry in my pack!!
          >
          > Prapanna

          > A vast surrender was his only strength.
          > Savitri Book 3, Canto 2
          >

          > On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:26 AM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:
          >
          >> thanks Paul for asking this as I was about to ask the same thing and
          >> add Vermillion Valley. I think I did read that Muir Ranch will hold
          >> packages but will not let you eat or anything there is that correct?
          >> vera
          >>
          >> Paul England
          > wrote:
          >> Does anyone know if Red's Meadow Resort will hold small re-supply
          >> packages? Several years ago, some friends of mine used Red's, but I
          >> have read that they do not accept mailed packages. Maybe they only
          >> take hand-delivered packages. I am doin the JMT beginning in late
          >> August and was hoping to pick up some stuff there.
          >>
          >> Thanks.
          >> paul

          >> Service.

          >> � To visit your group on the web, go to:
          >>
          >> � To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          >>
          >> � Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          >> Service.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Vera Lehmkuhl
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 29 9:08 PM
            sweet but I think prolly we'll just move on after pick up food. It looks to me like MR is just off the trail...a friend recently said that she didn't go there cuz it was WAY off the trail...
            vera

            Rene Aguilar <reneaguilar@...> wrote:
            regarding Muir Ranch, I picked up a resupply there in July 2003 and the horse masseuse/caretaker there said that it is up to the group staying at the ranch, whether or not you can have a meal with them. I take it that many times, they like to hear trail stories, so a meal might be possible!

            Rene

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 29 9:09 PM
              cool paul...now can your friend bring our stuff too? :) I am sure that there are Frozen Custard booths at every pass don't you...using the snow pack...:) oh no that's just a dream dang...
              vera

              Paul England <pengland@...> wrote:
              Thanks Vera - I have gotten plenty of info - looks like you can re-supply everywhere!! I'm figuring on three - Red's, Camp Muir and a friend who is joining me at Kearsarge Pass. My pack is getting lighter with each email.
              paul

              Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:
              thanks..

              Prapanna Smith

              wrote:
              > > Does anyone know if Red's Meadow Resort will hold
              > > small re-supply packages? Several years ago, some
              > > friends of mine used Red's, but I have read that
              > > they do not accept mailed packages. Maybe they only
              > > take hand-delivered packages. I am doin the JMT
              > > beginning in late August and was hoping to pick up
              > > some stuff there.
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > > paul

              > > removed]
              > >

              > Best regards,
              >
              > Thomas
              >
              > Thomas Taylor
              > tgtaylor7@...
              > http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

              > Service.

              > Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Vera Lehmkuhl
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 29 9:12 PM
                well that was my plan ..to carry just a couple of days of food to get us to Tuolumne and pick up package there...I ASSUME that the Post Office is in the complex somewhere? Guess I will spend some time searching the web...:)
                think that is an awesome Idea. Unfortunatley we easterners don't have too many friends out there in CA...:) but we'll figure it out...
                thanks for the info

                dive_hike <dive_hike@...> wrote:
                In '98, when I hiked the JMT, a friend drove us (3 in our group) up
                to Yosemite. He took us up to Tuolumne and we stashed enough food
                to get to Red's in one of the many bear lockers off the parking lot.

                Leaving the Valley the next morning, we only carried enough food to
                get to Tuolumne. It sure made that first day light! A nice trick
                if you can arrange it (and you don't have to get there in time for
                the Post Office to be open).

                Have a great hike!

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Paul England <pengland@p...>

              • Prapanna Smith
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 29 10:49 PM
                  I believe that technically the hot springs are not a part of the ranch
                  property. Anyone can go there.

                  On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

                  > cool, don't think we will see you at all...hope all goes well...:)
                  > where did you see that Muir Ranch allows you to use the Hot Springs?
                  > can you just go out into the field and use the one out there? :)
                  >
                  > Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
                  > I'm heading out of Yosemite on July 7. I'm taking my time this year
                  > and plan to enjoy the JMT for 31 days. Snow conditions permitting I
                  > may detour to Lakes Basin for a couple to days as well. Sure hope the
                  > elements are working on the snow by now.

                  A vast surrender was his only strength.
                  Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

                  > On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:46 AM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:
                  >
                  >> thanks for the info and AGAIN sorry about the repost of this very
                  >> question....:)
                  >> you are on top of it Prapanna...how soon are you leaving?
                  >> vera
                  >>
                  >> Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
                  >> There is a backpackers camp at Red's Meadow where you can stay for
                  >> night while you get your package and have a hot spring bath. I am sure
                  >> you can prepare and eat your own meals in the camp. There is also a
                  >> cafe right next to the store where you can have fair to good
                  >> breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. In fact, in my own meal planning for
                  >> the JMT this summer I have factored in two meals (dinner and
                  >> breakfast)
                  >> at Red's Meadow and also at Vermillion Valley resort, that makes four
                  >> meals I won't have to carry in my pack!!
                  >>
                  >> Prapanna
                  >>
                  >> *******************************************************
                  >> A vast surrender was his only strength.
                  >> Savitri Book 3, Canto 2
                  >>

                  >> On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:26 AM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> thanks Paul for asking this as I was about to ask the same thing and
                  >>> add Vermillion Valley. I think I did read that Muir Ranch will hold
                  >>> packages but will not let you eat or anything there is that correct?
                  >>> vera
                  >>>
                  >>> Paul England
                  >> wrote:
                  >>> Does anyone know if Red's Meadow Resort will hold small re-supply
                  >>> packages? Several years ago, some friends of mine used Red's, but I
                  >>> have read that they do not accept mailed packages. Maybe they only
                  >>> take hand-delivered packages. I am doin the JMT beginning in late
                  >>> August and was hoping to pick up some stuff there.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks.
                  >>> paul

                  >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  >>> Service.

                  >>> � To visit your group on the web, go to:
                  >>>
                  >>> � To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  >>>
                  >>> � Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                  >>> Service.

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Vera Lehmkuhl
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 2, 2005
                    Could some of you weigh in on the most expedient and least expensive way to get from one or the other airports to the Yarts station in Merced... right now flight into LAX is most attractive as it is cheaper and non stop....

                    I've spent an hour on line trying to make heads out of it and can't figure it out....

                    thanks for helping me figure this out...I am going to the PCT website to see what they say too...you guys rock...

                    vera

                  • dive_hike
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 2, 2005
                      Vera, I suggest calling Amtrak 1-800-872-7245

                      They offer a train / bus to Merced from Union Station ($31 one
                      way). Ask them how you get from LAX to Union Station.

                      Have fun!
                      P.S. Let me know if this works out.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...>