Still more snow

    Message 1 of 3 , May 27 8:25 AM

      Statement as of 3:50 AM PDT on May 27, 2010

      ... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 5 am PDT Friday
      above 5000 feet...

      A Winter Storm Warning above 5000 feet remains in effect until
      5 am PDT Friday for the southern Sierra Nevada from Yosemite to
      Kings Canyon.

      * Impacts: travel will become hazardous above 5000 feet
      including travel into Yosemite along Highway 41... Highway
      168 from Shaver Lake to Huntington Lake... and Dinkey Creek
      Road into Wishon. Outdoor enthusiasts traveling to the
      southern Sierra should be prepared for dangerous winter
      weather conditions.

      * Snow levels: snow levels around 7000 feet this morning steadily
      dropping through today... and lowering down to 4500 feet
      tonight.

      * Snow accumulations: up to 8 inches of new snow above 7000 feet
      through tonight. The heaviest snow is likely around Yosemite
      National Park.

      * Timing: snow will increase in intensity and coverage... and
      continue through tonight.

      * Locations include: Yosemite National Park... Shaver Lake and
      Huntington Lake.

      * Winds: southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph over
      the ridges.
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 3 , May 27 12:55 PM
        On 5/27/2010 10:25 AM, John Ladd wrote:

        Statement as of 3:50 AM PDT on May 27, 2010

        ... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 5 am PDT Friday
        above 5000 feet...

        but the news here comes from the dweebs in Mammoth - and only a real nerd will fully understand their forecast discussion today, but I read "VERY WARM" in there  :)

        THE LATEST ECMWF AND ECMWF ENSEMBLES ARE CONSISTENT IN BRINGING VERY WARM WEATHER TO CALIFORNIA THE NEXT WEEKEND (SATURDAY THE 5TH) WITH HEIGHTS AT 500MB IN THE LOW TO MID 590S OVER MUCH OF THE STATE BY 00Z SUNDAY (240HR). THE HEIGHTS ARE CONTINUING TO CLIMB AS WE GO OUT IN TIME AS WELL. THIS IS ALSO IN AN AGREEMENT WITH THE IDEA OF RETROGRESSION OF THE LONG WAVE PATTERN WELL ADVERTISED FOR A WHILE. THE GFS DETERMINISTIC AND GFS ENSEMBLE ARE NOT NEARLY AS BULLISH. THE DWEEBS ARE GOING WITH THE EC UNTIL THERE IS A CHANGE IN ITS CONSISTENCY OF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS IN EXPECTING A VERY WARM FIRST WEEKEND OF JUNE.
        THAT WOULD PUSH MAMMOTH HIGHS WELL INTO THE MID TO UPPER 70S IF TRUE

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 3 , May 27 1:41 PM

          I LOVE reading the dweeb’s weather forecasts – a whole new language – but they are usually right on (as far as I can tell!).  Looks encouraging.  We were sposed to be camping at Whitney Portal and had a permit to do some of Whitney this weekend – but cancelled due to the weather today and Friday.  Heading out to the Joshua Tree desert instead – get to practice some map and compass and do some bouldering…Barbara