Snow Update

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
      This is the heaviest snow year since '98. The north (Yosemite to
      Mammoth) had an especially heavy snowfall year.

      Right now it looks like all passes will be clear around mid-August.
      For those hikers going in July - plan accordingly - you will be on
      snow on several passes. Try to cross the passes when the snow is
      soft (later in the day), especially Forester Pass.

      Hopefully we will have a warm spring. Enjoy!
    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
        Yes, it will be a rather long snow season this year. The California
        Snow Pack reports are updated monthly and they are in the process of
        updating this month's data right now. You can see that information at:

        http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/COURSES.html

        On Apr 29, 2005, at 9:17 AM, dive_hike wrote:

        > This is the heaviest snow year since '98.� The north (Yosemite to
        > Mammoth) had an especially heavy snowfall year.�
        >
        > Right now it looks like all passes will be clear around mid-August.�
        > For those hikers going in July - plan accordingly - you will be on
        > snow on several passes.� Try to cross the passes when the snow is
        > soft (later in the day), especially Forester Pass.
        >
        > Hopefully we will have a warm spring.� Enjoy!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > �
        > �
        > Service.

      • dive_hike
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
          That is the site I use. I've posted this several times before over
          the years, but I've found the best sensor for the Forester Pass area
          to be Upper Tyndall Creek.
          http://cdec.water.ca.gov/selectQuery.html

          Enter UTY for Station ID, leave sensor blank and enter a recent date
          for start date.
          Click on "SNOW, WATER CONTENT(REVISED)"

          Right now the sensor is reading 39.6 inches. That sensor will most
          likely hit zero in late June or early July this year, and probably
          about 30 to 45 days later the passes will be mostly clear.

          I've used that sensor for several hikes and it works great. Hiking
          earlier is fine - just expect snow.

          Best to all!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@e...>
          wrote:
          > Yes, it will be a rather long snow season this year. The
          California
          > Snow Pack reports are updated monthly and they are in the process
          of
          > updating this month's data right now. You can see that
          information at:

          > http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/COURSES.html
          >

          > On Apr 29, 2005, at 9:17 AM, dive_hike wrote:
          >
          > > This is the heaviest snow year since '98.  The north (Yosemite
          > > Mammoth) had an especially heavy snowfall year.
          > >
          > > Right now it looks like all passes will be clear around mid-
          August.
          > > For those hikers going in July - plan accordingly - you will be
          on
          > > snow on several passes.  Try to cross the passes when the
          snow
          is
          > > soft (later in the day), especially Forester Pass.
          > >
          > > Hopefully we will have a warm spring.  Enjoy!
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > > • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
          Terms of
          > > Service.

        • Vera Lehmkuhl

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2005
              I was sondering how the snow this year compares with 81-82? I did JMT
              in '82. We started August 1 from Happy Isles and had snow on almost
              every pass. The only ones that didn't have snow were Island Pass and
              Trail Crest. We exited over Trail Crest August 25 so it had some time
              to melt. Donahue Pass was hidden from the north side. People coming
              from the south just came down the hill to the upper lake on the north
              side. I though I had the trail but lost it soon so we just headed
              straight up till we hit the top of the ridge then looked for the pass
              and found it a hundred yards or so away. Most passes had some snow
              with paths already punched out but the south side of Muir Pass was
              solid snow to below Helen Lk. We had no real troubles with the snow
              but it was there.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2005
                This year is about the same as '82 at this point. The Upper Tyndall
                Creek sensor registered 37.7" on April 30, 1982 (currently 39.6").
                The same is true at Mammoth - about the same. 1998 wasn't much
                worse at this point (46.5") but we had a very cool spring and a slow
                melt. Hopefully it will warm up soon!

                Hikers in late July / early August will probably experience similar
                conditions as your hike. You made a good point about route finding:
                although there are usually footprints to follow, it is helpful to
                have a general idea where the trail goes.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@y...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2005
                  ack...one does that by topo maps and compass and general knowledge of how to read topos, right? :)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2005
                    actually could you guys/girls blazing the trail in early/mid july just take some yellow fluorescent tape up with you and mark the trail.....?
                    :) kidding...:0

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1, 2005
                      There really wasn't a lot of guesssork when we did it. Most of the
                      trail was visible with small patchs of snow for the most part. An
                      added plus was that previous hikers had made a path through the snowy
                      parts for us to follow. It was good that we didn't have any problems
                      as my son was only 10 years old when we did it.

                    • dive_hike
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 28, 2006
                        First the bad news:

                        This year has seen record snowfall for the Northern portion of the
                        JMT. Mammoth received 664" total - an alltime record!
                        http://www.mammothmountain.com/
                        Click on Snowfall History

                        In Yosemite, Tioga Road plowing will begin on Monday (May 1st).
                        Although there is no estimated completion date, it will probably
                        open in late June (or even early July). You can follow the progress
                        here:
                        http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/tioga.htm

                        And some good news:

                        The Southern portion of the JMT had above average snowfall, but less
                        than the record years. As an example, Upper Tyndall Creek (UTY)
                        currently has 28.30" of snow water content. In 1998, UTY had 46.5"
                        on April 28th and in 1983 it had 61.7". Crabtree has 25.8" snow
                        water content, it had 52.4" in 1983.

                        And some even better news:

                        The weather has turned very warm and is forecast to stay warm for
                        the next week or more. Spring is here! It was over 80F in Yosemite
                        Valley today, and was warm in Mammoth too. Here is the NWS forecast
                        for Yosemite:
                        http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/printable_forecast.php?
                        wfo=hnx&zone=caz096&county=cac043

                        The Spring melt has started. The Merced River station at Happy
                        Isles just set a new all time flow record for an April 28th. The
                        melt is starting a couple of weeks earler than last year and might
                        really help:
                        http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/mercedStages.html

                        To watch the snow in Yosemite, I suggest this live cam of Half Dome
                        from near Sentinel Dome:
                        http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/sentinelcam.htm

                        There is still plenty of snow on Half Dome and Clouds Rest.

                        I'll be hiking San Jacinto next weekend and I'll check the snow.
                        SoCal is supposed to have a warming trend this coming week too and I
                        think San Jacinto will be clear soon.

                        Best to all.