resupply?

  • blackbirdmedic
    Message 1 of 24 , May 17 12:05 PM
      My friend and I will be starting from the south this year and was wondering what is the best first resupply spot. From what I have read it looks like Kearsarge pass with pack stock. Any suggestions as to how you handled it when starting from the south.
      Message 2 of 24 , May 17 12:13 PM
        I intend to do a NOBO next year but to build up to altitude, I'll be starting from Kennedy Meadows and my first restock will be at HorseShoe Meadows TH (using MtWhitneyShuttle Services), 2nd at OnionValley TH or Kearsarge Lakes depending on terms with the Packers there.  Have you emailed Denice (Dee) at the packers there?  I can send you contact info.

        On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 2:05 PM, blackbirdmedic <blackbirdmedic@...> wrote:
        My friend and I will be starting from the south this year and was wondering what is the best first resupply spot.  From what I have read it looks like Kearsarge pass with pack stock.  Any suggestions as to how you handled it when starting from the south.

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
           johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • blackbirdmedic
        Message 3 of 24 , May 17 12:49 PM
          I have not and would appreciate the info ty.

          Message 4 of 24 , May 17 1:11 PM
            Info for resupply at HorseShoe Meadows TH is here.  I bet you could ship supplies to them and they'd deliver for a fee at the TH or you could shuttle into Lone Pine, stay overnight at Dow villa motel (enjoy the spa), pick up supplies in morning, then shuttle back in the morning.

          • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 24 , May 17 1:14 PM
              I would suggest you go in town (Independence) enjoy a hot meal and shower and a warm bed. Once you exit you can hitch a ride into town or you can always call the shuttle service to give a ride into town. Happy trails

              From: "blackbirdmedic" <blackbirdmedic@...>
              Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:49:42 -0000
              To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] resupply?

              I have not and would appreciate the info ty.

              > I intend to do a NOBO next year but to build up to altitude, I'll be
              > starting from Kennedy Meadows and my first restock will be at HorseShoe
              > Meadows TH (using MtWhitneyShuttle Services), 2nd at OnionValley TH or
              > Kearsarge Lakes depending on terms with the Packers there. Have you emailed
              > Denice (Dee) at the packers there? I can send you contact info.
              >
              > On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 2:05 PM, blackbirdmedic <blackbirdmedic@...>wrote:
              >
              > > My friend and I will be starting from the south this year and was wondering
              > > what is the best first resupply spot. From what I have read it looks like
              > > Kearsarge pass with pack stock. Any suggestions as to how you handled it
              > > when starting from the south.

            • Greg Dasse
              Message 6 of 24 , May 17 1:16 PM
                Would that be via Baxter pass trail?

                From: "blackbirdmedic" <blackbirdmedic@yahoo.com>
                Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:49:42 -0000
                To: <johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com>

                Message 7 of 24 , May 17 1:21 PM
                  That will be Kearsarge pass

                  From: Greg Dasse <blackbirdmedic@...>
                  Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:16:32 -0700 (PDT)
                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com<johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                  From: "blackbirdmedic" <blackbirdmedic@yahoo.com>
                  Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:49:42 -0000
                  To: <johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com>

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 17 1:22 PM
                    I heard rumor that one or more of the motels/hotels in Independence might offer a shuttle service to OnionValley TH.  contact them.

                    http://www.mtwilliamsonmotel.com/393002.html        -- no email method of contact

                    http://www.winnedumah.com/                                   -- in 2009, I think the owner said they were thinking of offering the service in 2010 or later once their oldest son got to be of driving age or something

                    Mt Whitney Shuttle services this trailhead though.
                  • blackbirdmedic
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 17 1:26 PM
                      Got it was looking at the wrong town on the map. Other than leaving the trail what are the options?

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

                      > That will be Kearsarge pass

                    • Peter Burke
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 17 1:28 PM
                        On 5/17/2010 3:16 PM, Greg Dasse wrote:

                        Would that be via Baxter pass trail?

                        have fun on Baxter (and add an extra day ;-)) - it is one of the hardest passes to Owens Valley.

                        I'm sure he meant via Kearsarge and hitch hike to town from there. I'd have food up at the trailhead. Many ways to organize. Example - reserve a camp site for the approximate time window you plan to be there, then have friends or Bob Ennis of Whitney Shuttle service bring up your food, put it in the bear locker a day before you get there. You hike down, get it, camp, hike up, or just do a U-turn and go straight back up, which is what I usually do. The pack station at Kearsarge, if open at the time you get there, will also hold food (and I think you can mail it to them), for a fee. I used them way back in the 80s once and it worked out perfectly, but in recent years there was always a big question mark if that pack station would actually be in business. Last year it was.

                        Resupply at Kearsarge is the only reasonable location between Whitney and Muir Trail Ranch, either by packer or hiking to the trailhead and picking up food there. I don't go to any town ever until I am done with my hike. I see no point in wanting something mid-hike that I actually am trying to get away from. Why would I want to go to  Independence when I could be spending time in the mountains? If bed and shower are so important, why even go on the JMT?

                        Peter

                        From: "blackbirdmedic" <blackbirdmedic@yahoo.com>
                        Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:49:42 -0000
                        To: <johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com>

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 17 1:42 PM
                          What would your estimated distance and time needed to travel to and from on a uturn trip you descirbed from TH to onion valley?

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 17 1:57 PM
                            On 5/17/2010 3:42 PM, blackbirdmedic wrote:

                            What would your estimated distance and time needed to travel to and from on a uturn trip you descirbed from TH to onion valley?

                            Onion Valley is the trailhead. if that is what you mean by TH.

                            Round trip time from the JMT - head east after Vidette and go past Bullfrog Lake on the northbound, down to the road, back up, cut across high to the JMT above charlotte Lake in 2 miles from there. Total time, probably about 4-6 hours on top of a direct JMT bypassing Kearsarge, depending on your usual speed and how much stuff you're packing, not counting your time to repack food. I did this once southbound, came down jogging in about an hour, back up in 2 maybe, met the other guys at Bullfrog. I had an empty pack because the others took all my gear so I could focus on getting down and up as quickly as possible. If you are in a group, you could do the same.

                            Peter

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 17 2:01 PM
                              Great thanks for the info.

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 17 2:04 PM
                                From the JMT/Kearsarge Pass Junction, it is about 2 miles to the Easternmost Kearsarge Lake.  If your day's goal has you camping there that night, the next day you can go up and over the Kearsarge Pass down to Onion Valley TH, pick up your supplies and back over the pass to the Kearsage Lakes for camp that night and it won't be that bad of a day at all.

                                If you are doing a SOBO JMT hike, the night before first get to Kearsarge Lakes, you could be at one of the rae lakes, such as Arrowhead.  If doing a NOBO JMT hike, the night before you could be at the Northern base of Forester Pass.
                              • robert shattuck
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 17 2:46 PM
                                  Just to muddle it up here, but why are you starting from the south?

                                  Have you already done it north to south?

                                  Is it just more convenient for you. driving-wise?

                                  Are you just trying to get the high passes knocked out first?

                                  Are you and your friend both in good shape to nail all the high stuff in the very beginning? (without having to make that first right turn to 395 and once you hit that soft hotel bed, think to yourselves . . . did we start at the right end of this thing?)

                                  Just curious.

                                  As has been noted, there's Kearsage, but that's only going to be what, two or three days out, depending . . . the next one is Taboose Pass and I've no idea if packers come in there, but why not?

                                  http://climber.org/driving/TaboosePass.html

                                  http://www.lonewolfephotos.com/The-Eastern-Sierras-with-the/Taboose-Pass-Backpack-August-2/1797901_MkFTy#90046337_QtByT

                                  http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/153960/cardinal-mountain.html

                                  Just me––personally––I always find it curious that for other than convenience anyone would want to end their trip––something that they've been planning for a few months or a year, or it's the dream backpack trip of a lifetime . . . to end up walking into Yosemite Valley.

                                  Not that Yosemite ain't great, except for about a few thousand folk running around, yelling and trying to feed the bears :) but I just see it as this adventure you are seldom given the chance to take . . . you start low gradually rise, higher and higher and harder and . . . eventually you cap out on the summit of Whitney––You've made your Epic journey and now you can stand there, surveying all that you've done––all the many peaks and memories that salute you to the north . . . all the many miles . . .

                                  . . . and then, like any summit, you have to come down . . . I'd just much rather come down Whitney, Fresh from the grandness that is the summit, than get in line with a bunch of yelling teenagers, hobbling husbands, tired wives and other dazed tourists, finding their way back to yosemite valley.

                                  South to North, Never!!!

                                  bob

                                  sparklefart.blogspot.com

                                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: blackbirdmedic@...
                                  Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:05:58 +0000
                                  Subject: [John Muir Trail] resupply?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 17 2:59 PM
                                    2011 will be my 4th year on the JMT, Robert.  I've done SOBO each time.

                                    I see NOBO hikers and I figure they have to be in much better shape, as the following NOBO stretches are far worse than the SOBO reverses:

                                    Forester Pass NOBO -- much steeper
                                    Mather Pass NOBO   -- much steeper
                                    Muir Pass NOBO -- far longer stretch uphill
                                    Selden Pass NOBO from Muir Trail Ranch -- incredible long stretch uphill

                                    I figure I won't have time to do the whole JMT, and I figure I need to start from Kennedy Meadows to get used to the altitude, so I figure I'll either do KM to Reds Meadow or KM to TM.  Those would be easy permits to get too.

                                    One more advantage to the NOBO is you meet more people each day if you enjoy meeting people on the trail, as most people do it SOBO.

                                    Ultimately when I start taking 2 months off each year, I want to do the JMT YO YO and that will be awesome.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 17 3:05 PM
                                      Well for us its the more traditional route plus we like to be challenged. Also we are stating late in the season and don't want to be in the south in late October risking snow fall. We also don't want to go the way "everyone else" goes why be the same do something different. As for being in shape ofcourse that is the only way to live. I could go on but why. Thanks for the thought.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 17 3:10 PM
                                        oh, the Yo-Yo, I do so want (maybe #11 &#12) to do that . . . but again I might fall victim to "Dow Syndrome" . . . get down to Lone Pine for the resupply (yes, I would not bother heading out anywhere once I got in and UP) check in to the DOW VILLA, because I know one night in a bed and a long soak in the hot tub can't hurt, right. Cue the scary music and pizza.

                                        Maybe the trick to my yo-yo will be having a fresh body, eager and waiting to hit the trail, down there. Takers????

                                        Bob

                                        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 17 3:19 PM
                                          regarding northbound being harder - having done it both ways, I don't agree on some of your examples:

                                          Forester Pass NOBO -- much steeper

                                          steep is fast - I find Forester easier northbound, since only the very final stretch is tough, although getting there is very steady climbing and you start much higher up at Tyndall than on the other side at Vidette. Forester is a lot more scenic southbound, though.

                                          Mather Pass NOBO   -- much steeper

                                          Really only for a the final short stretch where the trail climbs the talus field. The rest is worse in the southbound direction, starting below the Golden Staircase. In fact Pinchot to Mather is one of the easiest pass-to-pass hikes. Southbound, Pinchot feels harder than the long slow climb into Upper Basin blow Mather, from where you gain the final stretch in a pretty quick climb.

                                          Muir Pass NOBO -- far longer stretch uphill

                                          disagree - look at your map. Southbound begins at Muir Ranch - only feels easier because you do it in two days due to the distance, and it is a climb in many steps with long level valleys spreading the climbs out, which does make it feel easier, but it's actually a much longer haul to make the same elevation southbound. North is uphill non-stop, gets you there quicker, but about the same elevation gain.

                                          Selden Pass NOBO from Muir Trail Ranch -- incredible long stretch uphill

                                          nasty one, but you get to go down Bear Ridge the next day :-)

                                          I figure I won't have time to do the whole JMT, and I figure I need to start from Kennedy Meadows to get used to the altitude, so I figure I'll either do KM to Reds Meadow or KM to TM.  Those would be easy permits to get too.

                                          If you are acclimated, there's nothing wrong with starting at Whitney Portal, provided you can get the permits. I used a walk-in - 11am permit pickup in Lone Pine, 2:30pm on the trail, 6pm tent at Trail Camp, next morning by 10:30am over Trail Crest and down you go - skipped the summit since I had to make it to Vermillion on a single bear canister.

                                          One more advantage to the NOBO is you meet more people each day if you enjoy meeting people on the trail, as most people do it SOBO.

                                          talk about it - September northbound felt like everyone was suddenly on the trail. Much lonelier in July southbound.

                                          Ultimately when I start taking 2 months off each year, I want to do the JMT YO YO and that will be awesome.

                                          make sure you strike all those trips to town off that schedule - you do not want a hot shower in Lone Pine when you turn around... need to be one very strong-minded person to go back up there that next morning before your permit re-entry window expires.

                                        • Peter Burke
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 17 3:24 PM
                                            On 5/17/2010 5:10 PM, robert shattuck wrote:

                                            oh, the Yo-Yo, I do so want (maybe #11 &#12) to do that . . . but again I might fall victim to "Dow Syndrome" . . . get down to Lone Pine for the resupply (yes, I would not bother heading out anywhere once I got in and UP) check in to the DOW VILLA, because I know one night in a bed and a long soak in the hot tub can't hurt, right. Cue the scary music and pizza.

                                            mail your food to the portal - shower up there, do NOT go to the DOW if you want to do the yo-yo. Want pizza so badly? Have it delivered by Bob Ennis, but I say try Doug's Mooseburger at the portal store first and then consider if you still want more fat in your system ;-)

                                            We will have food at the portal this year - absolutely no way we will go to Lone Pine at the turnaround point. Depending on time of day, we may not even camp at the portal but head back up to Bighorn Park so we can do the crest and summit easier the next day with pretty full packs. Thing is, once you get there from Yosemite, your daily max distance really increases by 50% or more. we plan at least two days less northbound this summer, also because there'll be less snow to deal with in that direction.

                                            Peter

                                          • Don Amundson
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 17 7:02 PM

                                              I used Sequoia Kings Pack Trains last year for a resupply.  The experience was "interesting."  I tried to make arrangements to pick up my resupply at their facility at Onion Valley.  All was going well until the end when I couldn't reach Dee by phone or email to finalize the arrangements.  I ended up driving to their Pine Creek facility to deliver my resupply in person.  Dee remembered my name which was progress.  I asked about showers and camping arrangements at Onion Valley and Dee said the camping was at the campground and the shower door was open at their place.  Their place is actually a
                                              couple of decrepit wood structures and is only used when they have a resupply to run over Kearsarge pass.
                                              The good news is that my resupply was actually there when I hiked out.  The bad news was the shower door was locked.
                                              As indicated by others on this topic the Berner's seem to be advertising a bit more service at Onion Valley for this year and I hope that is the case for those using their service.
                                              As an aside, having been disappointed in missing a hot shower, an attempt to hitch a ride into Independence proved futile and after a hour I gave up.

                                            • jellen1517
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 17 10:57 PM
                                                We used Sequoia Kings Pack Station in 2007. We dropped our box at their Pine Creek facility, and were met by the packers exactly as planned and on time at the N. Kearsarge Pass trail junction with JMT.

                                                As for hiking out to town for shower, etc. - we would have been happy to stay out forever - no need at all for a town stop. In fact - on our last day down from Whitney to the Portal, we elected to sleep out one last night only 2 hours from the Portal rather than getting out in the early evening and driving to town.. just did not want this hike to end!

                                                ENJOY!!

                                                Jane

                                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

                                                > I used Sequoia Kings Pack Trains last year for a resupply. The experience was "interesting." I tried to make arrangements to pick up my resupply at their facility at Onion Valley. All was going well until the end when I couldn't reach Dee by phone or email to finalize the arrangements. I ended up driving to their Pine Creek facility to deliver my resupply in person. Dee remembered my name which was progress. I asked about showers and camping arrangements at Onion Valley and Dee said the camping was at the campground and the shower door was open at their place. Their place is actually a
                                                > couple of decrepit wood structures and is only used when they have a resupply to run over Kearsarge pass.
                                                > The good news is that my resupply was actually there when I hiked out. The bad news was the shower door was locked.
                                                > As indicated by others on this topic the Berner's seem to be advertising a bit more service at Onion Valley for this year and I hope that is the case for those using their service.
                                                > As an aside, having been disappointed in missing a hot shower, an attempt to hitch a ride into Independence proved futile and after a hour I gave up.

                                              • Matt Ruby
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 17 11:15 PM
                                                             I am not sure if this was mentioned, but the best way to resupply around onion valley is to recruit a friend or groups of friends to resupply you.  Sell them on the beautiful hike up and over kearsarge pass, and the potential for a nice 2-3 day trip.  Hell, I might hike in your resupply if the timing is right.  Pack trains ruin the trail and overgraze the meadows.  You know your on the muir trail and not lost, if you smell manure.
                                                  Cheers,
                                                                Matt

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , May 18 5:20 AM
                                                    Matt Ruby wrote:

                                                    > I am not sure if this was mentioned, but the best way to
                                                    > resupply around onion valley is to recruit a friend or groups of
                                                    > friends to resupply you. Sell them on the beautiful hike up and over
                                                    > kearsarge pass, and the potential for a nice 2-3 day trip. Hell, I
                                                    > might hike in your resupply if the timing is right. Pack trains ruin
                                                    > the trail and overgraze the meadows. You know your on the muir trail
                                                    > and not lost, if you smell manure.
                                                    > Cheers,
                                                    > Matt

                                                    will you be my Owens Valley based friend in late July? We already seem
                                                    to be on the same wave length when comes to pack animals on the JMT ;-)