advise on muir ranch to Red's meadow needed

  • D
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11 11:03 PM
      Hi....I am starting at Muir Ranch Aug. 20th and hiking to Happy Isles.
      We have backpacked alot, but this will be our farthest yet ( 120
      miles )...could someone help me with imput : if we start walking at
      about 1:00pm, could we make it to Sallie Keys Lakes by say 5:00pm? and
      how hard is that stretch....then, the next day it is an hour to Seldon
      Pass, if that, but was wondering when we would get to Quail
      Meadows,also just how hard is that downhill?...and if going on to
      Pocket Meadow is at all possible?...then, the next day would be over
      Silver Pass, then down and finishing at Lake Virginia ( after those
      terrible switchbacks after Tully Hole )....then, from Tully Hole, could
      we make it to Red's Meadow for a shower and a meal, and then continue
      on to say, Johnson Lake to camp instead of a noisy Red's Meadow? I know
      this is a long questionaire but, we are on a tight time frame, and need
      to make plane reservations a few days later!!!...Thanks to all who
      could help here....Doug
    • JD Schaefer
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12 10:38 AM
        Have you looked at a map and figured the distance, elevation gain,
        your average speed and hours you're willing to hike each day?
        JD

      • Pukkmann@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12 12:33 PM
          yes, I want to average 16 miles a day???

        • JD Schaefer
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12 3:47 PM
            So, with that constant value and the distances on your trail map or
            sources here on the web, you should be able to extrapolate the answers
            to your questions, right?
            JD

          • Pukkmann@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12 4:25 PM
              I was hoping for some personal experiences and opinions...thanks!!

            • dive_hike
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 12 7:50 PM
                D, It is difficult to answer distance questions for another hiker.

                Can you make it to Sally Keyes Lake in 4 hours? It is all uphill
                with a gain of about 2600 feet. I'm not sure of the exact distance
                from Muir Trail Ranch, but depending on your load, how quickly you
                adjust to altitude and your conditioning ... it is probably possible.

                Don't worry about any of the downhill sections - the JMT is not that
                steep - unless you have a heavy pack and bad knees. The switch
                backs out of Tully Hole will slow you down, but Lake Virginia is
                worth it!

                From Lake Virginia to Red's Meadow is a nice easy downhill and you
                will make good time.

                My advice is to start early in the morning (I always try to be
                hiking by 6 AM - hike when it is cool) and then judge your distance
                at lunch. This is especially true if you need to stay on schedule
                to make your flight. The days are long in August and you can hike
                late to make distance.

                Oh, and my other advice - overtrain for your plan. If you want to
                do 16 miles per day, make sure you can hike 20 (work up to some
                practice hikes at that distance with your pack at the expected
                weight).

                I'm sure you will have a great trip!