Tuolumne Meadows Backpacker Camp ground

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2010
      Does any one remember how many site there are in TM backpacker camp ground 1- is it first come first serve 2- how many at people can share each site 3- how many night can some one stay there. Our plan is to drop our car at Whitney Portal off either July 3 or the 4th. Then hitch into Yosemite, we would like to camp out at TM then on the 5th go to YV to start out hike on the 6th. My concern is being the 4th of July weekend is finding a place to camp out. Anyone has any suggestions or ideas. Thanks
    • Linda Reitz
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2010
        Last year at that time I stayed in TM backpackers camp and it was crowded. We all just shared bear boxes and campsites. I always enjoy staying there as all the hikers are so friendly and share trail info. But to answer your question, I believe there are only like 10 actual sites. Last year by morning there were easily 17 or so bags and tents on the ground.

        Does any one remember how many site there are in TM backpacker camp ground 1- is it first come first serve 2- how many at people can share each site 3- how many night can some one stay there. Our plan is to drop our car at Whitney Portal off either July 3 or the 4th. Then hitch into Yosemite, we would like to camp out at TM then on the 5th go to YV to start out hike on the 6th. My concern is being the 4th of July weekend is finding a place to camp out. Anyone has any suggestions or ideas. Thanks

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            johnmuirtrail-digest@yahoogroups.com
            johnmuirtrail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2010
          Thanks Linda, kinda hoping I will hear that the backpacker will look after one another.

          From: Linda Reitz <hikejmt47@...>
          Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 00:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/johnmuirtr ail/join
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              johnmuirtrail- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
              johnmuirtrail- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2010
            I think you can only stay there the night before you start
            backpacking. Or one night if you're stopping there while thru hiking.
            But I don't know if the rangers or campground host actually checks.

            Barbara

            On May 1, 2010, at 10:46 PM, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

            > Does any one remember how many site there are in TM backpacker camp
            > ground 1- is it first come first serve 2- how many at people can
            > share each site 3- how many night can some one stay there. Our plan
            > is to drop our car at Whitney Portal off either July 3 or the 4th.
            > Then hitch into Yosemite, we would like to camp out at TM then on
            > the 5th go to YV to start out hike on the 6th. My concern is being
            > the 4th of July weekend is finding a place to camp out. Anyone has
            > any suggestions or ideas. Thanks

          • engelpct1981
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2010
              I'm not sure how often the Rangers check the BP campground. I've been there when people have had ice chests, lanterns and piles of firewood with the BP campground overflowing (last summer there were 9 of us in one designated site).

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

              > I think you can only stay there the night before you start
              > backpacking. Or one night if you're stopping there while thru hiking.
              > But I don't know if the rangers or campground host actually checks.
              >
              > Barbara
              >
              > On May 1, 2010, at 10:46 PM, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:
              >
              > > Does any one remember how many site there are in TM backpacker camp
              > > ground 1- is it first come first serve 2- how many at people can
              > > share each site 3- how many night can some one stay there. Our plan
              > > is to drop our car at Whitney Portal off either July 3 or the 4th.
              > > Then hitch into Yosemite, we would like to camp out at TM then on
              > > the 5th go to YV to start out hike on the 6th. My concern is being
              > > the 4th of July weekend is finding a place to camp out. Anyone has
              > > any suggestions or ideas. Thanks
              > > Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

            • Peter Burke
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                > I think you can only stay there the night before you start
                > backpacking. Or one night if you're stopping there while thru hiking.
                > But I don't know if the rangers or campground host actually checks.

                they check, and it costs $20 just like a full site. I don't stay in the
                backpacker camp any longer, just get my own full site with my own fire
                circle and bench.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                  Oh wow Peter, thanks nice to know that

                  From: Peter Burke <pburke@...>
                  Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 15:36:54 -0500
                  To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>

                  Barbara Karagosian wrote:

                  > I think you can only stay there the night before you start
                  > backpacking. Or one night if you're stopping there while thru hiking.
                  > But I don't know if the rangers or campground host actually checks.

                  they check, and it costs $20 just like a full site. I don't stay in the
                  backpacker camp any longer, just get my own full site with my own fire
                  circle and bench.

                  > Barbara
                  >
                  > On May 1, 2010, at 10:46 PM, ed_rodriguez52@ yahoo.com
                  > <mailto:ed_rodrigue z52%40yahoo. com> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Does any one remember how many site there are in TM backpacker camp
                  > > ground 1- is it first come first serve 2- how many at people can
                  > > share each site 3- how many night can some one stay there. Our plan
                  > > is to drop our car at Whitney Portal off either July 3 or the 4th.
                  > > Then hitch into Yosemite, we would like to camp out at TM then on
                  > > the 5th go to YV to start out hike on the 6th. My concern is being
                  > > the 4th of July weekend is finding a place to camp out. Anyone has
                  > > any suggestions or ideas. Thanks
                  > > Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

                • John
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                    Actually, ALL backpacker camps (TM, YV and HH) are $5 per night, one night max, must have a valid permit for the following day.
                    When we were at TM last year the host did a walk through first thing in the morning.

                    JD
                    www.johndittli.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                      John wrote:

                      > Actually, ALL backpacker camps (TM, YV and HH) are $5 per night, one
                      > night max, must have a valid permit for the following day.
                      > When we were at TM last year the host did a walk through first thing
                      > in the morning.
                      >
                      > JD
                      > Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
                      > www.johndittli.com

                      Was that per person or tent or site? We were three people but I am
                      quite sure we paid $20 last year for one tent, sharing a site with 2
                      other tents who also paid. It was ridiculous, given there were lots of
                      open spaces in the normal campground closer to the bathrooms. The
                      person who checked us was the guy who has his big RV parked at the
                      entrance to TM campground with enough wood sacked for the entire summer.

                      Now, while we paid in the afternoon, there was a bunch of hikers who
                      came later that same day and set up camp and left in the morning,
                      without being checked. We left right after the bears went through in the
                      morning, so I don't know if they come through after sunrise for another
                      check. I guess it's a hit and miss. We just go there very early in the day.

                      Thing to remember at TM - you have to hike at least 2 miles away from
                      developed area if you want to just camp somewhere in the woods. I don't
                      think that rule applies around Reds Meadow, not being in a National Park.

                      Peter
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2010
                        Peter I think you are right, it is $5 per person (though no one looked inside our tent :).

                        Also, while the two mile rule does apply to many areas, you actually have to be four miles from TM. Cathedral Lakes North bound or Ireland Creek SoBo are the first places you can camp on the JMT.

                        JD
                        www.johndittli.com