Bear canister

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 12 11:54 AM

      Hi all,

      Just dealing with a pepper tree in our pool from last night’s storm…

      However – I ordered my rental Expedition Bear Canister from Wild Ideas, online.  The flat fee for the JMT is $55.  There is no space on the online form to put that you are doing a thru hike, but I put it in the 2nd address line, in block letters.  The form quotes you a fee based on the days you are hiking, but you then get an e-mail from wild Ideas telling you to ignore that and that you are being charged the flat fee for the JMT.

      Onwards….

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 12 12:12 PM

          Yep, I did it online – just wrote “JMT THRU HIKE RATE PLEASE” in any available empty box!

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 12 1:49 PM
            just got junk mail from the place where I bought my bulk freeze dried
            food last year. Looks like I need to order up this month. It's not like
            these things spoil in the cans ;-)

            http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_62_A_name_E_Mountain%20House%20Freeze%20Dried%20Entrees

            BTW - of what's on sale there, we like

            Chicken Teriyaki
            Spaghetti with meat sauce
            Beef Stroganoff
            Sweet & Sour Pork
            Chicken a la King
            Chili Mac (used to be our favorite but I think we OD's on it last year ;-))

            hated the scrambled eggs with bacon bits, and haven't tried any of the
            other things. We use these meals about 30% of the time, rest we make
            ourselves from other sources, and then enhance those with freeze dried
            chicken or beef, or dried vegetable protein, which you get there, too.
            Not on sale right now, though, e.g. freeze dried white chicken

            http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FN C120

            peter
          • Don Amundson
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 12 2:18 PM
              Another source which is also having a sale and have free shipping on #10 cans is

              http://theepicenter.com/freeze_dried_and_dehydrated.html?gclid=CKy5z7yy8KACFQQTawodNVDQFg

              I recently tried the Mountain House freeze dried beef and recommend it.  It rehydrates well and tastes great. Like Peter, I also burned out on the Chili Mac (as well as the Lasagna).  I guess eventually I'll go the full route, buy a dehydrator and make all my own stuff.

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 12 2:40 PM

                I just rushed off to survey my 2009 leftovers – sadly there is too much of it to allow me to purchase more…but it includes Enertia Foods (highly recommended as a change to Mountain House), not just the usual variations of pasta and red sauces.

                Another source which is also having a sale and have free shipping on #10 cans is

                http://theepicenter .com/freeze_ dried_and_ dehydrated. html?gclid= CKy5z7yy8KACFQQT awodNVDQFg

                I recently tried the Mountain House freeze dried beef and recommend it.  It rehydrates well and tastes great. Like Peter, I also burned out on the Chili Mac (as well as the Lasagna).  I guess eventually I'll go the full route, buy a dehydrator and make all my own stuff.

              • Dale Stuart
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 12 3:08 PM
                  I have enjoied the MH products in the past but have switched to Knorr side dishes.  I find Knorr sides as filling as the MH for 2 people meals.  They are dehydrated (not freeze dried) and do not have meat .  They say to boil, but I cook then in freezer bags like I would the MH. (just add boiling water and slip into a cozy).  If you are looking for foods to fill you up and not spend too much, check them out.  Best part is - they are WAY cheap. (Some times on sale for <$1.00 )

                  -Dale

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 12 3:23 PM
                    On 4/12/2010 5:08 PM, Dale Stuart wrote:

                    I have enjoied the MH products in the past but have switched to Knorr side dishes.  I find Knorr sides as filling as the MH for 2 people meals.  They are dehydrated (not freeze dried) and do not have meat .  They say to boil, but I cook then in freezer bags like I would the MH. (just add boiling water and slip into a cozy).  If you are looking for foods to fill you up and not spend too much, check them out.  Best part is - they are WAY cheap. (Some times on sale for <$1.00 )

                    -Dale

                    Knorr makes up about half of my main meal supply, too - I use the MH as variantions. However, I add freeze dried meats or vegetable protein to these meals, since they just aren't big enough for the three of us. Only about half the Knorr meal flavors available are fast cooking (boil-let-stand type) so read the label carefully before you choose a flavor. Also recommended is to cook at home and try them. They aren't that great in some cases.

                    Another food source I buy a lot of is found in the Organic isle of the supermarket - they have instant taco filling (add cheap long lasting tortillas), instant sloppy joe (tofu based), instant hummus, instant refried beans, and a few other flavors I like. Their instant chili did not pass our home testing, though. $2.50 a pack and easily feeds three hungry hikers. Amazon has this stuff, too, but only in large 12-packs:

                    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_grocery?ie=UTF8&search-alias=grocery&field-brandtextbin=Fantastic%20Foods

                    the instant hummus and a few crackers are fantastic and no-cooking at all!

                  • nancyfichtner
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 23, 2014
                      bear canisters---which one?
                      If you were going to buy one today, what would you purchase and why...how large/small? There will be two of us hiking next summer, 5-6 days.
                    • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 23, 2014
                        It depends on how often you plan on using it in the future. If you hike in areas such as the Sierras on a regular and yearly basis, I recommend 'biting the bullet' and investing in a Bearikade. If you only need it for a one time JMT hike, than either rent a Bearikade or go with the much cheaper Bear Vault.

                        There are several advantages with the Bearikade over any other model, from the lighter weight, proven track record, more storage capacity, and a wider and easier opening. The obvious down side to the Bearikade is the cost. Again, if you plan on using it often and regularly, it's a good investment.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 23, 2014
                          If your pack will accommodate the 16 inch custom Bearikade, it's a really great canister. 999 cubic inch - 16 liter - capacity. Can handle 30,000 calories of food - enough for 10-12 days for most folks, which you may need for the stretch MTR to Whitney. If you resupply over Kearsarge Pass or at Charlotte lake it may be big enough for 2 hikers. Pricey, but your children will inherit it.

                          On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM, <nancyfichtner@...> wrote:

                          bear canisters---which one?

                          If you were going to buy one today, what would you purchase and why...how large/small? There will be two of us hiking next summer, 5-6 days.

                        • Edwardo Rodriguez

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                              I have asked rangers and and was told as long as all food and scented items fit in a bear can you both do not need one.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014

                                On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Edwardo Rodriguez <edwardo.rodriguez53@...> wrote:
                                Keep in mind that both of you need to carry your own bear can.

                                I also think that this is not required as long as the person with the bearcan actually has all the food (or more than obvious snack and lunch food)

                                I've certainly always done this when hiking with my kids on short trips - we've never carried 2 bearcans.

                                John Dittli, hopefully, will know better than  I on this.

                              • ravi_jmt2013
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                                  Even hikers who do not plan to return to the Sierra Nevada anytime soon can purchase a Bearikade and then most likely resell it for a very good price after the hike.  I suspect that the actual cost would be equal to or even less than a rental based on the interest I've seen in the resale market.  Also, it would be possible to buy a custom size and resell it.  I believe that rentals are restricted to the standard sizes.

                                  Even though I've never listed my Bearikade for sale, I've had a few people reach out to me to see if I'm interested in selling my Bearikade after I posted something about it here or on other forums.

                                  Finally, I would also add that having the canister is sometimes nice even where it isn't required.  For a weekend hike with limited food weight, I've sometimes packed the Bearikade to have a camp stool and not deal with hanging food.
                                • katyjepsen1
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                                    We are thinking of renting the Weekender, with the possibility of having to hang food for ONE night just south of MTR resupply (we read somewhere it was legal there--thought not encouraged). I'm trying to navigate the bear box page on Climber and I just don't know enough about where those line up with the JMT, if any. Does anyone know of ANY bear boxes ON the JMT between MTR and Whitney?
                                  • katyjepsen1
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                                      I should also mention we are two adults (pretty fit), planning a 12 day hike (maybe faster), with resupply on days 2 (TM grill), 4 (Red's Meadow), and 7 (MTR)--and also stuffing our faces at all of those resupply places.
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                                        No bear boxes on JMT from MTR to Woods Creek - frequent after that as far as Crabtree meadows.

                                        It is a pain to hang food (few snow-shedding trees have good branches for the purpose). I highly recommend a bear can big enough for your longest leg.

                                        I started with a weekender-sized one (BearVault) and gravitated to the biggest one (16 inch custom Bearikade) that fits my pack. The big can makes quite long legs between resupplies possible (up to 12 days, longer if I limited food variety). On shorter trips, it simplifies food planning and allows food variety.

                                        Most of the weight of the Bearikade is in the top and the bottom, so for all sizes up to the 16 incher (999 cu inch or 16 liter capacity) each added inch adds only 1.4 oz and relatively low added cost ($12)

                                        Big can does, however, require a big pack and some people don't like them.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                                          Didn't notice this post at first. If your longest leg is five days, why not share a large bearcan. Will be lots lighter than 2 small ones.

                                          On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM, <katyjepsen1@...> wrote:

                                          I should also mention we are two adults (pretty fit), planning a 12 day hike (maybe faster), with resupply on days 2 (TM grill), 4 (Red's Meadow), and 7 (MTR)--and also stuffing our faces at all of those resupply places.

                                        • Ray Rippel
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                                            A bit more on bear canisters here, including a discussion of counter-balancing and a bunch of links.

                                            Good hiking, Ray

                                          • katyjepsen1
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                                              John, We are planning to share it. we are trying to avoid carrying 2 (if we can). Since we plan on 20 mile days we are trying to keep weight down. Its frustrating trying to plan for it. Also, we have smaller packs (MYOG stuff).
                                              In a perfect world we would start the trail with a Scout and trade it in for a Weekender at Red's meadow, then trade it in again at MTR for an Expedition...if only...
                                            • Rick Martyn
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 24, 2014
                                                As John mentioned earlier, the weight of the various Bearikades does not vary that much as the size increases.  The Expedition weighs only 9 ounces more than the Scout.  If you can fit the Expedition in your pack at MTR, it should fit at HI about as well : )

                                                I know 9 ounces matters (especially if you make 5 or 6 "9 ounce" decisions), but two people sharing a Weekender from MTR sounds difficult.

                                                Rick M.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 25, 2014
                                                    Just reserved our Weekender from Wild Ideas! In the FAQ section it has directions for the JMT rate. you are supposed to email them and they give you a discount code to use on the form when you fill it out. They got back to us the same day.

                                                    Does anyone know if there is still a Bear Box at Evolution Lake? Saw some folks talk about it on a blog from a few years back...

                                                  • rnperky@sbcglobal.net
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 25, 2014
                                                      No bear box at Evolution Lake that I am aware of. Here is your best source of bear box locations:http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes.html