Re: [John Muir Trail] Looking for secret camping spots on JMT and more???

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 24, 2005
      thanks so much JD
      so here is my high school spanish translation with no going to the dictionary involved...laugh if you must! :)

      when the Road (of life maybe:) ends, you(I) will be a woman of experiences! ack!!

      I will ponder and use to plan your ideas...yogiing food eh? hmmmmm free BEER? cool.

      any other words of wisdom about camping? anyone, anyone?

      thanks

      JDRows <jdrows@...> wrote:
      Vera
      VVR=Vermilion Valley Ranch - Hiker hotel on Lake Edison, 1st night and
      1st beer are free - NB a lot of hikers have food shipped to them there
      and for whatever reason, those hikers never arrive; VVR eventually takes
      the food out of the package and puts it into a 55-gal drum for current
      hikers to sort through and take with them; when I was there, they were
      on their second drum. Bring your credit or debit card as the first
      thing you do after getting off the ferry is establish an account at the
      store desk. Good pies.

      Deet=100% (in late August no mosquitoes, mondo advantage)

      Favorite bear canister is like "Which do you prefer: a virus, cold,
      Giardia. . . " - My "preference" is a Bearikade Weekender with Enertia
      meals that don't have the cooking sack so you don't have to resupply
      after MTR. Often, when coming across an acronym or unknown term, going
      to the newsgroup site and using the Search feature gives lots of info;
      in the case of bear canisters, maybe more than one would want. A good
      chance they'll ask to see your canister when you get your permit, it has
      a box for the issuing ranger to say you have a canister.

      Glad your AT hike went well.

      Sometimes all the choicest camping sites are gone by 3 PM. Another way
      of saying an early start makes for the most pleasure in the afternoon
      after you get your target miles in. Always try to camp next to water,
      even if only a seep.

      Mather Pass - the Golden Staircase. Don't plan on camping before you
      get to the lakes at the top, Lord knows how the guys that blasted the
      Staircase out found somewhere to sleep. It's kind of exposed at Lower
      Lake so camp in the copse of trees next to the lake. It may be
      crowded. Just squeeze in or you may not get any sleep.
      JD
      Cuando terminas el Camino, estaras una mujer de encuentros

      Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

      >Ahhhh, JD, wow this is a cool statement...I can't wait... and please what is VVR? Ok what is everyone's feeling about deet strength? Also, favorite bear cannister...(YES I STILL AM ON THE BEAR THING..:)
      >
      >For those of you hangin out when I was talking a lot before...my AT hike went well and the knees were good so I after much consideration am going to go for the JMT hike!! cool...We had perfect weather on the AT, snow only long enuf to get my coat on, 30 mph winds with 30 degrees and crystal clear nite, SUN and heat to the point we got sunburned, thunderstorms in our tents at night and fog...typical weather. My thruhikers are hiking about 10 days up the trail now and all is well...I of course am back home dreaming of hiking...
      >
      >Thanks you guys for your ideas and advice and visual & verbal photos of the trail,
      >
      >vera
      >You will love the Trail. In the mornings while you're still digesting
      >the beauty of the day before, you start seeing so much new beauty, you
      >almost say "Wait, I'm not done remembering everything I saw yesterday
      >and the day . . ."
      >
      >If you go to VVR, when you go back to the JMT, if you start climbing
      >before crossing the river, you've gone too far. Watch the Trail past
      >Silver Lake Pass. Don't go towards the Lake.
      >JD

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • JDRows
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 24, 2005
        Hi Vera
        There are only half as many words in Spanish as in English so many words
        mean several things. Encuentros means both findings and encounters. A
        woman of encounters is someone not afraid of new experiences, new
        findings. She is open to what the Trail will show her. When you finish
        the JMT, you will be a Woman of Encounters.

        When planning the items you'll bring, make a commitment to do with
        less. You're in the wilderness. The closer you feel to the wilderness,
        the less "civilized" things you'll find you need.

        When you meet people on the Trail, they'll often ask you "Where did you
        come in?" and they'll mean "Where did you come into the wilderness",
        thus establishing a momentary bond between yourselves.

        You're smart to not be intimidated by asking questions. The only dumb
        questions are the ones not asked.

        Pick your tent site very, very carefully. Get down on your haunches and
        look at where you want to put your tent from different angles. If it
        rains in the middle of the night, will the rain come into your because
        of the adjacent ground surface slope? If you clear pine cones and rocks
        off the site you choose to avoid puncturing your sleeping mat, push the
        stuff you swept away back in the morning. Leave No Trace! Try to never
        dig a channel around your tent but if you do, always restore the ground
        after you break camp in the morning. Just good stewardship.

        My all-time tip for getting your miles in every day is, instead of
        taking breaks when you get tired, just go slower until you catch your
        breath and then pick up the pace again. I figured I saved over a
        half-hour a day that way which allowed me to bathe after getting to camp
        while it was warmer out, to rinse today's dirty clothes sooner and make
        myself a cuppa earlier. Don't forgo those scenery breaks. We want to
        see those photos!

        If you haven't gotten the Tom Harrison JMT Trail Map package yet
        (essential!), get them at *http://tinyurl.com/44jft . Last piece of
        advice: ALWAYS know where you are on the map! *If you don't know, ask
        the next person you see. Learn to recognize topographical features.
        They'll assist in a heightened sense of security. Will you have an
        altimeter?
        JD

      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 24, 2005
          JD,
          thank you again..you know thats what I originally thought woman of encounters...its so true to be open to new things you learn much...JMT will certainly be more wilderness than I've been out east...I have not been too afraid of wilderness and have become over the last years a willing student of the outdoors...just something that started when I was young. You remind me of me on the AT list as one never knows what level of awareness newbies have so I will assure you that I am a former LNT trainer...no trenches for this girl...:) again tho thank you for your kind and helpful words...you remind me of things that I sometimes forget like LOOKING for water flows...:)

          I have been working for several years on getting my "needs" down to smaller list. I do like to carry 2 headlamps (no extra batteries) and 2 flame things and I do carry a pillow, oh I hear you all yelling and throwing up your hands now...but have you tried to sleep on the ground? :)I am experimenting with alternatives......but most everything else is little. I would appreciate a gear list from some of you experienced western hikers. Or maybe I'l post what I think I am bringing and you can tuckerize it...Clothing and food are my worst areas...when I am short term hiking I usually carry a small book...I think I will continue to do that and I mean journal, book, pen are all less than a pound. but I may just read the maps and trail book for next day and write in journal leave book...I normally do leave it. ACK...it is so hard being a newbie when I am an oldy on the east coast!! :0 yet it is such fun having the tables turned on me...

          I will comment more below....

          ****truely what a wonderful thing it is to get in a car after a long hike and freak out because 10 mph feels like light speed!! :)

          ****out east we ask this and then generally identify ourselves with a silly name...a trail name ...a name that takes us out of the normal into the "wilderness" ...mine is the missing kink...:)

          You're smart to not be intimidated by asking questions. The only dumb
          questions are the ones not asked.

          Pick your tent site very, very carefully. Get down on your haunches and
          look at where you want to put your tent from different angles. If it
          rains in the middle of the night, will the rain come into your because
          of the adjacent ground surface slope? If you clear pine cones and rocks
          off the site you choose to avoid puncturing your sleeping mat, push the
          stuff you swept away back in the morning. Leave No Trace! Try to never
          dig a channel around your tent but if you do, always restore the ground
          after you break camp in the morning. Just good stewardship.

          ***Absolutely...and very important thank you for reminding us...there are other things out west that are more delicate then out east...what should I look for and NOT do because its LNT out west? does this make sense?

          My all-time tip for getting your miles in every day is, instead of
          taking breaks when you get tired, just go slower until you catch your
          breath and then pick up the pace again. I figured I saved over a
          half-hour a day that way which allowed me to bathe after getting to camp
          while it was warmer out, to rinse today's dirty clothes sooner and make
          myself a cuppa earlier. Don't forgo those scenery breaks. We want to
          see those photos!

          ***good advice...bathe..you can bathe in camp? wow cool...it feels so good...and I can't wait to see the scenary!! how is water is it generally available ie in stream form, lake, runoff, spring, mud hole? What kind of water purification do people use?

          If you haven't gotten the Tom Harrison JMT Trail Map package yet
          (essential!), get them at *http://tinyurl.com/44jft .

          **just ordered it today!

          Last piece of
          advice: ALWAYS know where you are on the map! *If you don't know, ask
          the next person you see. Learn to recognize topographical features.
          They'll assist in a heightened sense of security. Will you have an
          altimeter?

          ***do I need an altimeter..I can get one...even out east knowing where you are is a good thing...again great advice and I will follow...I used to teach orienteering so should be ok...should I bring a compass? guess so eh? on the AT one doesn't really need anything but a tiny watch compass that points N,E,S,W...

          thanks again JD...bring on more good advice...

          JD

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 30, 2005

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 30, 2005
              Hey y'all...
              we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a lb? :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to get one used?
              Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?

              vera

            • Prapanna Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 30, 2005
                I've been told that they come up on eBay from time to time.

                Prapanna

                A vast surrender was his only strength.
                Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

                On Mar 30, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

                > Hey y'all...
                > we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't
                > believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a lb?
                > :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to get
                > one used?
                > Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?
                >
                > vera
                >

                > ����� �����
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                > <l.gif>
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > �
                > �
                > Service.

              • Vera Lehmkuhl
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 30, 2005
                  thanks I'll check...

                  Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                  I've been told that they come up on eBay from time to time.

                  Prapanna

                  A vast surrender was his only strength.
                  Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

                  On Mar 30, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

                  > Hey y'all...
                  > we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't
                  > believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a lb?
                  > :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to get
                  > one used?
                  > Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?
                  >
                  > vera

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Service.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 30, 2005
                    The bearikade can be rented from the manufacturer. I almost bought the
                    weekender, but just couldn't spend an additional $110 to save 5 ounces.
                    I bought the Bear Vault which is bigger than the weekender, but smaller
                    than the Expedition. If you need the capacity of the Expedition, look
                    into the rental.

                    Dave
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                    > Hey y'all...
                    > we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't
                    believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a
                    lb? :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to
                    get one used?
                    > Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?
                    >
                    > vera

                  • JDRows
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 30, 2005
                      Vera
                      If you pay the postage both ways, you can borrow my weekender. We've
                      already had conversations about bear canister use. I still use it for
                      food caching. Got a trip in May from South Rim to North Rim and west
                      thru the Park, down to the River again, boulder hopping along it and
                      then up to Utah. Will have to cache twice. Mostly 7.5 minute map
                      navigation without trails and no post offices. For the other cache I
                      use a 5-gallon bucket and wrap cayenne laden duct tape around the lid
                      seal. Let me know.
                      JD

                      Dave wrote:

                      >The bearikade can be rented from the manufacturer. I almost bought the
                      >weekender, but just couldn't spend an additional $110 to save 5 ounces.
                      >I bought the Bear Vault which is bigger than the weekender, but smaller
                      >than the Expedition. If you need the capacity of the Expedition, look
                      >into the rental.
                      >
                      >Dave
                      >--- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>Hey y'all...
                      >>we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't
                      >>

                      >believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a
                      >lb? :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to
                      >get one used?
                      >

                      >>Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?
                      >>
                      >>vera

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Vera Lehmkuhl
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
                        cayenne laden duct tape eh? wow that works?!! cool. I sure do appreciate your offer and we may take you up on it ...let us get a little farther into the planning process and see how big and where we are doing the drops etc. We would of course pay postage...We have a regular plastic bear cannister that aside from being a pound heavier would be fine...for 2 people we wonder if we will need the larger bear cannister...so let us get going ..will spend this weekend planning...

                        does anyone hire someone to drop stuff for you? If so who? we will not have a car as we will be flying in.

                        thanks so much JD...
                        vera

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 31, 2005
                          Vera
                          I resupplied at Red's and MTR (application forms & info recently
                          uploaded at this newsgroup's site) only. Although I experienced a bit
                          of caloric deficit, for the 9 1/2 days from MTR to Whitney Portal, I was
                          able to put everything in the Bearikade Weekender and not go off trail
                          or pay a resupply service.

                          I traveled for a few days with a guided group and the owner of the
                          guided group brought in a resupply package. You might consider
                          contacting a few of them (a lot in Mammoth) and seeing if you could
                          combine a drop off with one they already have scheduled. Otherwise it
                          would be several hundred dollars, although the bring solar showers so
                          you could have that luxury intra-trek.
                          JD