Looking for secret camping spots on JMT and more???

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 23 7:40 AM
      I'm new to this group. I hang out mostly at backpacking light@ yahoo
      groups...to glean ideas on lighting my load as I plan on going solo
      unless my friend changes their mind…I think it's a bear issue =;-O,
      I'm doing the JMT southbound Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney portal mid
      August I plan on hiking 15 to 18 miles a day. I will hike the Happy
      Isles to Tuolumne Meadows with my niece earlier in the season and do a
      side trip up to half dome.

      So my first question is to all of you pro. JMTers are... I'm looking
      for secret/special camping spots recommendations on the JMT???...Seems
      like a lot of camping areas now are illegal, or well trodden or it's a
      bear hang out. I love those special spots and appreciate you sharing
      some with me, so thanks in advance. Feel free to contact me offlist.

      Second question, in case of emergency, coordinate food drop, pickup,
      etc. I would like to have a phone with me, does cellular work? I have
      "Sprint" and is it worth the weight to take, or should I go with a
      rented satellite phone and does it work? as I have never used one.

      Third question is who's doing the JMT starting August 10th out of
      Tuolumne Meadows; it's always nice to know a yahoo group member?

      Looking forward to my thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber time
      on the JMT… Wildflower

      "Wonderful how completely everything in wild nature fits into us, as
      if truly part and parent of us. The sun shines not on us but in us.
      The rivers flow not past, but through us, thrilling, tingling,
      vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies, making
      them glide and sing. The trees wave and the flowers bloom in our
      bodies as well as our souls, and every bird song, wind song, and
      tremendous storm song of the rocks in the heart of the mountains is
      our song, our very own, and sings our love." JM
    • JDRows
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 23 8:03 AM
        Debbie
        98% of the JMT is a camping spot. Having a selected spot is too
        restricting. The Trail affects each one of us differently so I'd suggest
        you camp where it feels "right" to you.

        A satellite phone is a nice backup but then you really haven't gotten
        away from "civilization", have you? It boils down to comfort and maybe
        this time you take it and find out you didn't really need it so the next
        trek you don't carry that unnecessary weight. I'm not looking to impose
        my viewpoint on anyone, just present it for consideration. My feeling
        about phones is I'd be afraid they'd encourage behavior that one
        wouldn't normally take unless you can rationalize it saying to yourself
        "Oh, if I get lost or hurt, I can always call for a rescue". Remember
        that rescues can be charged to you and may cost in the 1000s.

        That said, there are rangers along the Trail. If you run into any, ask
        them for their favorite spots.

        You will love the Trail. In the mornings while you're still digesting
        the beauty of the day before, you start seeing so much new beauty, you
        almost say "Wait, I'm not done remembering everything I saw yesterday
        and the day . . ."

        If you go to VVR, when you go back to the JMT, if you start climbing
        before crossing the river, you've gone too far. Watch the Trail past
        Silver Lake Pass. Don't go towards the Lake.
        JD

        Debbie wrote:

        >I'm new to this group. I hang out mostly at backpacking light@ yahoo
        >groups...to glean ideas on lighting my load as I plan on going solo
        >unless my friend changes their mind…I think it's a bear issue =;-O,
        >I'm doing the JMT southbound Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney portal mid
        >August I plan on hiking 15 to 18 miles a day. I will hike the Happy
        >Isles to Tuolumne Meadows with my niece earlier in the season and do a
        >side trip up to half dome.
        >
        >So my first question is to all of you pro. JMTers are... I'm looking
        >for secret/special camping spots recommendations on the JMT???...Seems
        >like a lot of camping areas now are illegal, or well trodden or it's a
        >bear hang out. I love those special spots and appreciate you sharing
        >some with me, so thanks in advance. Feel free to contact me offlist.
        >
        >Second question, in case of emergency, coordinate food drop, pickup,
        >etc. I would like to have a phone with me, does cellular work? I have
        >"Sprint" and is it worth the weight to take, or should I go with a
        >rented satellite phone and does it work? as I have never used one.
        >
        >Third question is who's doing the JMT starting August 10th out of
        >Tuolumne Meadows; it's always nice to know a yahoo group member?
        >
        >Looking forward to my thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber time
        >on the JMT… Wildflower
        >
        >"Wonderful how completely everything in wild nature fits into us, as
        >if truly part and parent of us. The sun shines not on us but in us.
        >The rivers flow not past, but through us, thrilling, tingling,
        >vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies, making
        >them glide and sing. The trees wave and the flowers bloom in our
        >bodies as well as our souls, and every bird song, wind song, and
        >tremendous storm song of the rocks in the heart of the mountains is
        >our song, our very own, and sings our love." JM
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 23 9:15 PM
          Ahhhh, JD, wow this is a cool statement...I can't wait... and please what is VVR? Ok what is everyone's feeling about deet strength? Also, favorite bear cannister...(YES I STILL AM ON THE BEAR THING..:)

          For those of you hangin out when I was talking a lot before...my AT hike went well and the knees were good so I after much consideration am going to go for the JMT hike!! cool...We had perfect weather on the AT, snow only long enuf to get my coat on, 30 mph winds with 30 degrees and crystal clear nite, SUN and heat to the point we got sunburned, thunderstorms in our tents at night and fog...typical weather. My thruhikers are hiking about 10 days up the trail now and all is well...I of course am back home dreaming of hiking...

          Thanks you guys for your ideas and advice and visual & verbal photos of the trail,

          vera

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 23 10:53 PM
            Vera
            VVR=Vermilion Valley Ranch - Hiker hotel on Lake Edison, 1st night and
            1st beer are free - NB a lot of hikers have food shipped to them there
            and for whatever reason, those hikers never arrive; VVR eventually takes
            the food out of the package and puts it into a 55-gal drum for current
            hikers to sort through and take with them; when I was there, they were
            on their second drum. Bring your credit or debit card as the first
            thing you do after getting off the ferry is establish an account at the
            store desk. Good pies.

            Deet=100% (in late August no mosquitoes, mondo advantage)

            Favorite bear canister is like "Which do you prefer: a virus, cold,
            Giardia. . . " - My "preference" is a Bearikade Weekender with Enertia
            meals that don't have the cooking sack so you don't have to resupply
            after MTR. Often, when coming across an acronym or unknown term, going
            to the newsgroup site and using the Search feature gives lots of info;
            in the case of bear canisters, maybe more than one would want. A good
            chance they'll ask to see your canister when you get your permit, it has
            a box for the issuing ranger to say you have a canister.

            Glad your AT hike went well.

            Sometimes all the choicest camping sites are gone by 3 PM. Another way
            of saying an early start makes for the most pleasure in the afternoon
            after you get your target miles in. Always try to camp next to water,
            even if only a seep.

            Mather Pass - the Golden Staircase. Don't plan on camping before you
            get to the lakes at the top, Lord knows how the guys that blasted the
            Staircase out found somewhere to sleep. It's kind of exposed at Lower
            Lake so camp in the copse of trees next to the lake. It may be
            crowded. Just squeeze in or you may not get any sleep.
            JD
            Cuando terminas el Camino, estaras una mujer de encuentros

            Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

            >Ahhhh, JD, wow this is a cool statement...I can't wait... and please what is VVR? Ok what is everyone's feeling about deet strength? Also, favorite bear cannister...(YES I STILL AM ON THE BEAR THING..:)
            >
            >For those of you hangin out when I was talking a lot before...my AT hike went well and the knees were good so I after much consideration am going to go for the JMT hike!! cool...We had perfect weather on the AT, snow only long enuf to get my coat on, 30 mph winds with 30 degrees and crystal clear nite, SUN and heat to the point we got sunburned, thunderstorms in our tents at night and fog...typical weather. My thruhikers are hiking about 10 days up the trail now and all is well...I of course am back home dreaming of hiking...
            >
            >Thanks you guys for your ideas and advice and visual & verbal photos of the trail,
            >
            >vera
            >You will love the Trail. In the mornings while you're still digesting
            >the beauty of the day before, you start seeing so much new beauty, you
            >almost say "Wait, I'm not done remembering everything I saw yesterday
            >and the day . . ."
            >
            >If you go to VVR, when you go back to the JMT, if you start climbing
            >before crossing the river, you've gone too far. Watch the Trail past
            >Silver Lake Pass. Don't go towards the Lake.
            >JD

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Vera Lehmkuhl
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 24 7:45 AM
              thanks so much JD
              so here is my high school spanish translation with no going to the dictionary involved...laugh if you must! :)

              when the Road (of life maybe:) ends, you(I) will be a woman of experiences! ack!!

              I will ponder and use to plan your ideas...yogiing food eh? hmmmmm free BEER? cool.

              any other words of wisdom about camping? anyone, anyone?

              thanks

              Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

              >Ahhhh, JD, wow this is a cool statement...I can't wait... and please what is VVR? Ok what is everyone's feeling about deet strength? Also, favorite bear cannister...(YES I STILL AM ON THE BEAR THING..:)
              >
              >For those of you hangin out when I was talking a lot before...my AT hike went well and the knees were good so I after much consideration am going to go for the JMT hike!! cool...We had perfect weather on the AT, snow only long enuf to get my coat on, 30 mph winds with 30 degrees and crystal clear nite, SUN and heat to the point we got sunburned, thunderstorms in our tents at night and fog...typical weather. My thruhikers are hiking about 10 days up the trail now and all is well...I of course am back home dreaming of hiking...
              >
              >Thanks you guys for your ideas and advice and visual & verbal photos of the trail,
              >
              >vera
              >You will love the Trail. In the mornings while you're still digesting
              >the beauty of the day before, you start seeing so much new beauty, you
              >almost say "Wait, I'm not done remembering everything I saw yesterday
              >and the day . . ."
              >
              >If you go to VVR, when you go back to the JMT, if you start climbing
              >before crossing the river, you've gone too far. Watch the Trail past
              >Silver Lake Pass. Don't go towards the Lake.
              >JD

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • JDRows
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 24 11:19 AM
                Hi Vera
                There are only half as many words in Spanish as in English so many words
                mean several things. Encuentros means both findings and encounters. A
                woman of encounters is someone not afraid of new experiences, new
                findings. She is open to what the Trail will show her. When you finish
                the JMT, you will be a Woman of Encounters.

                When planning the items you'll bring, make a commitment to do with
                less. You're in the wilderness. The closer you feel to the wilderness,
                the less "civilized" things you'll find you need.

                When you meet people on the Trail, they'll often ask you "Where did you
                come in?" and they'll mean "Where did you come into the wilderness",
                thus establishing a momentary bond between yourselves.

                You're smart to not be intimidated by asking questions. The only dumb
                questions are the ones not asked.

                Pick your tent site very, very carefully. Get down on your haunches and
                look at where you want to put your tent from different angles. If it
                rains in the middle of the night, will the rain come into your because
                of the adjacent ground surface slope? If you clear pine cones and rocks
                off the site you choose to avoid puncturing your sleeping mat, push the
                stuff you swept away back in the morning. Leave No Trace! Try to never
                dig a channel around your tent but if you do, always restore the ground
                after you break camp in the morning. Just good stewardship.

                My all-time tip for getting your miles in every day is, instead of
                taking breaks when you get tired, just go slower until you catch your
                breath and then pick up the pace again. I figured I saved over a
                half-hour a day that way which allowed me to bathe after getting to camp
                while it was warmer out, to rinse today's dirty clothes sooner and make
                myself a cuppa earlier. Don't forgo those scenery breaks. We want to
                see those photos!

                If you haven't gotten the Tom Harrison JMT Trail Map package yet
                (essential!), get them at *http://tinyurl.com/44jft . Last piece of
                advice: ALWAYS know where you are on the map! *If you don't know, ask
                the next person you see. Learn to recognize topographical features.
                They'll assist in a heightened sense of security. Will you have an
                altimeter?
                JD

              • Vera Lehmkuhl
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 24 7:44 PM
                  JD,
                  thank you again..you know thats what I originally thought woman of encounters...its so true to be open to new things you learn much...JMT will certainly be more wilderness than I've been out east...I have not been too afraid of wilderness and have become over the last years a willing student of the outdoors...just something that started when I was young. You remind me of me on the AT list as one never knows what level of awareness newbies have so I will assure you that I am a former LNT trainer...no trenches for this girl...:) again tho thank you for your kind and helpful words...you remind me of things that I sometimes forget like LOOKING for water flows...:)

                  I have been working for several years on getting my "needs" down to smaller list. I do like to carry 2 headlamps (no extra batteries) and 2 flame things and I do carry a pillow, oh I hear you all yelling and throwing up your hands now...but have you tried to sleep on the ground? :)I am experimenting with alternatives......but most everything else is little. I would appreciate a gear list from some of you experienced western hikers. Or maybe I'l post what I think I am bringing and you can tuckerize it...Clothing and food are my worst areas...when I am short term hiking I usually carry a small book...I think I will continue to do that and I mean journal, book, pen are all less than a pound. but I may just read the maps and trail book for next day and write in journal leave book...I normally do leave it. ACK...it is so hard being a newbie when I am an oldy on the east coast!! :0 yet it is such fun having the tables turned on me...

                  I will comment more below....

                  ****truely what a wonderful thing it is to get in a car after a long hike and freak out because 10 mph feels like light speed!! :)

                  ****out east we ask this and then generally identify ourselves with a silly name...a trail name ...a name that takes us out of the normal into the "wilderness" ...mine is the missing kink...:)

                  You're smart to not be intimidated by asking questions. The only dumb
                  questions are the ones not asked.

                  Pick your tent site very, very carefully. Get down on your haunches and
                  look at where you want to put your tent from different angles. If it
                  rains in the middle of the night, will the rain come into your because
                  of the adjacent ground surface slope? If you clear pine cones and rocks
                  off the site you choose to avoid puncturing your sleeping mat, push the
                  stuff you swept away back in the morning. Leave No Trace! Try to never
                  dig a channel around your tent but if you do, always restore the ground
                  after you break camp in the morning. Just good stewardship.

                  ***Absolutely...and very important thank you for reminding us...there are other things out west that are more delicate then out east...what should I look for and NOT do because its LNT out west? does this make sense?

                  My all-time tip for getting your miles in every day is, instead of
                  taking breaks when you get tired, just go slower until you catch your
                  breath and then pick up the pace again. I figured I saved over a
                  half-hour a day that way which allowed me to bathe after getting to camp
                  while it was warmer out, to rinse today's dirty clothes sooner and make
                  myself a cuppa earlier. Don't forgo those scenery breaks. We want to
                  see those photos!

                  ***good advice...bathe..you can bathe in camp? wow cool...it feels so good...and I can't wait to see the scenary!! how is water is it generally available ie in stream form, lake, runoff, spring, mud hole? What kind of water purification do people use?

                  If you haven't gotten the Tom Harrison JMT Trail Map package yet
                  (essential!), get them at *http://tinyurl.com/44jft .

                  **just ordered it today!

                  Last piece of
                  advice: ALWAYS know where you are on the map! *If you don't know, ask
                  the next person you see. Learn to recognize topographical features.
                  They'll assist in a heightened sense of security. Will you have an
                  altimeter?

                  ***do I need an altimeter..I can get one...even out east knowing where you are is a good thing...again great advice and I will follow...I used to teach orienteering so should be ok...should I bring a compass? guess so eh? on the AT one doesn't really need anything but a tiny watch compass that points N,E,S,W...

                  thanks again JD...bring on more good advice...

                  JD

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 30 5:54 PM
                    JDRows <jdrows@...> wrote:Vera

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 30 5:56 PM
                      Hey y'all...
                      we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a lb? :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to get one used?
                      Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?

                      vera

                    • Prapanna Smith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 30 6:16 PM
                        I've been told that they come up on eBay from time to time.

                        Prapanna

                        A vast surrender was his only strength.
                        Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

                        On Mar 30, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

                        > Hey y'all...
                        > we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't
                        > believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a lb?
                        > :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to get
                        > one used?
                        > Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?
                        >
                        > vera
                        >

                        > ����� �����
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                        > <l.gif>
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > �
                        > �
                        > Service.

                      • Vera Lehmkuhl
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 30 7:37 PM
                          thanks I'll check...

                          Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                          I've been told that they come up on eBay from time to time.

                          Prapanna

                          A vast surrender was his only strength.
                          Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

                          On Mar 30, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

                          > Hey y'all...
                          > we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't
                          > believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a lb?
                          > :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to get
                          > one used?
                          > Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?
                          >
                          > vera

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          > <22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > Service.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 30 7:38 PM
                            The bearikade can be rented from the manufacturer. I almost bought the
                            weekender, but just couldn't spend an additional $110 to save 5 ounces.
                            I bought the Bear Vault which is bigger than the weekender, but smaller
                            than the Expedition. If you need the capacity of the Expedition, look
                            into the rental.

                            Dave
                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                            > Hey y'all...
                            > we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't
                            believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a
                            lb? :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to
                            get one used?
                            > Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?
                            >
                            > vera

                          • JDRows
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 30 8:19 PM
                              Vera
                              If you pay the postage both ways, you can borrow my weekender. We've
                              already had conversations about bear canister use. I still use it for
                              food caching. Got a trip in May from South Rim to North Rim and west
                              thru the Park, down to the River again, boulder hopping along it and
                              then up to Utah. Will have to cache twice. Mostly 7.5 minute map
                              navigation without trails and no post offices. For the other cache I
                              use a 5-gallon bucket and wrap cayenne laden duct tape around the lid
                              seal. Let me know.
                              JD

                              Dave wrote:

                              >The bearikade can be rented from the manufacturer. I almost bought the
                              >weekender, but just couldn't spend an additional $110 to save 5 ounces.
                              >I bought the Bear Vault which is bigger than the weekender, but smaller
                              >than the Expedition. If you need the capacity of the Expedition, look
                              >into the rental.
                              >
                              >Dave
                              >--- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
                              >

                              >>Hey y'all...
                              >>we just looked at the PRICE of the Expedition bearikade...and I can't
                              >>

                              >believe it costs that much!!! is it really taht much better for a
                              >lb? :) Would anyone have one they want to sell? anyone know where to
                              >get one used?
                              >

                              >>Help!!! other suggestions for a good bear cannister?
                              >>
                              >>vera

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Vera Lehmkuhl
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 31 6:15 AM
                                cayenne laden duct tape eh? wow that works?!! cool. I sure do appreciate your offer and we may take you up on it ...let us get a little farther into the planning process and see how big and where we are doing the drops etc. We would of course pay postage...We have a regular plastic bear cannister that aside from being a pound heavier would be fine...for 2 people we wonder if we will need the larger bear cannister...so let us get going ..will spend this weekend planning...

                                does anyone hire someone to drop stuff for you? If so who? we will not have a car as we will be flying in.

                                thanks so much JD...
                                vera

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 31 7:09 AM
                                  Vera
                                  I resupplied at Red's and MTR (application forms & info recently
                                  uploaded at this newsgroup's site) only. Although I experienced a bit
                                  of caloric deficit, for the 9 1/2 days from MTR to Whitney Portal, I was
                                  able to put everything in the Bearikade Weekender and not go off trail
                                  or pay a resupply service.

                                  I traveled for a few days with a guided group and the owner of the
                                  guided group brought in a resupply package. You might consider
                                  contacting a few of them (a lot in Mammoth) and seeing if you could
                                  combine a drop off with one they already have scheduled. Otherwise it
                                  would be several hundred dollars, although the bring solar showers so
                                  you could have that luxury intra-trek.
                                  JD