Greetings and Introduction

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2005
      Greetings to All,

      I signed up for this group after reading with much interest all your
      recent postings.

      I have been hiking the High Sierra Mountains since 1982 and have
      covered virtually every major pass and trail in the Sequoia and Kings
      Canyon National Parks. I've intermittently hiked about half of the JMT
      from Mt. Whitney to the bridge on the San Joaquin River, just North of
      Evolution Valley.

      This year I'm going to hike the entire JMT (Southbound) starting from
      Happy Isles on July 7. I know there will very likely be lots of snow
      and some difficult fords. The Wilderness Office in Yosemite told me
      that most dates for the JMT out of Yosemite have been booked, so I am
      counting on some the earlier hikers to blaze the trail a bit for me.

      A couple of years ago, I went over Muir Pass when it was covered in
      snow and it was not that bad. I was among the first few people that
      year to make it over.

      I will be very interested to share and, especially to learn, from the
      collective experience of this group.

      BTW, I am using this year's hike to raise funds for the private school
      I have started in San Diego. I do not in any way expect people in this
      group to contribute, so for the record please know I offer this link to
      all for informational purposes only:

      http://www.integraleducation.org/jmt/hiking4rkis.html

      All the Best,

      Prapanna