RE: [John Muir Trail] Please explain the logistics of getting from SF Intl Airport to Yosemite Valley

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 44 , Apr 5, 2010
      It all seems to be a pretty even deal––you can fly into San Francisco, Sacramento, San Jose, or Fresno and for pretty much the same cost and amount of easy transfers, get into yosemite about the same time.

      So it all comes down to, where do you want to spend time--the evening--before you catch the train in the morning. One more thing to consider is how far is the local REI, or a trader joe for supplies.

      I know that from downtown SF, REI (as well as TJ's) is an easy five minute cab ride, or a fifteen minute walk. We also have Lombardi Sports and Sports Basement––a great shop . . . and if you have the time, Marmot Mountain Works, in Berkeley, for the deep-pocket gear junkie.*

      http://www.marmotmountain.com/

      *dare I forget to mention the patagonia shop

      bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: doyle6767@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 06:07:11 -0700
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Please explain the logistics of getting from SF Intl Airport to Yosemite Valley

      I know the question was about the SF airport, but have you consideredf flying into Sacramento?  I did that last year and plan to do it again this summer; the hotels offer a free shuttle ride to their lodgings from the airport, plus to the Amtrak station in the morning which can take you to Yosemite. If you take the morning train, you'll be at Yosemite around noon.  Train part way, bus the last leg of the journey. Was an easy trip and I think total cost from Sacramento to Yosemite was about $35 or so. Seemed easier to me because of fewer transfers.
      Bob

      Message 44 of 44 , Apr 11, 2010
        By the way, expedia.com supports multiple-destination flight booking.  If you talk to a ticket agent, such a booking is also known as an "open jaw" ticket.  I do such a booking each year, as I fly back from Phoenix, because my sister and brother live there.  I take a bus or hitchike or bum a ride to Ontario CA where a friend lives (sometimes he hikes with me too) and I bus over to Phoenix from there.