Re: [John Muir Trail] Best late season dates?

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
      Curtis wrote:

      > Yeah, resupply is always the fly in the ointment, eh? I'm lucky I like
      > trout so much. I'll be doing a loop through the Golden Trout
      > Wilderness(shh, there's never any crowds down there) early on to
      > figure out how many days worth of food I can carry; after that, I
      > guess it's just shut up, enjoy the jerky, and keep moving.

      you can easily resupply at Mammoth - as long as there is no snow, you
      should be able to hitch a ride to town. VVR is usually open until
      October 15, possibly later. Then there's Mono Hot Springs Post office
      near VVR that may be another option for even later supply, but it takes
      you off the trail so far that you will probably hike past it to Florence
      Lake and cut out the Bear Ridge to Muir Ranch section of the JMT. I've
      done that once and it works well, even if you can't hitch-hike (in
      October after VVR closes you won't see a lot of cars up there).

      The one thing I didn't like last September and which will keep me from
      doing many more late season hikes was the lack of daylight. Days are so
      short that you have to do a lot of stuff in the dark. It also gets
      pretty cold at elevation, although nothing serious if you have the
      proper gear. Layering your clothes becomes an art - last September temps
      went from 25 in the morning to 75 in the afternoon and then dropped down
      to 40 at 7pm as soon as the sun was behind the western ranges. Ice on
      the tent at 6am, still totally dark, water frozen in the canteen...
      I'd bet that many of the higher lakes will freeze in October and remain
      frozen all day, so your trout fishing options could be more limited.
    • Curtis
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
        Thank you for the reminder about the shortening days. I hadn't thought about that. The older I get, the longer it takes me to get moving.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

        > Curtis wrote:
        > >

        > > Yeah, resupply is always the fly in the ointment, eh? I'm lucky I like
        > > trout so much. I'll be doing a loop through the Golden Trout
        > > Wilderness(shh, there's never any crowds down there) early on to
        > > figure out how many days worth of food I can carry; after that, I
        > > guess it's just shut up, enjoy the jerky, and keep moving.
        > >

        > you can easily resupply at Mammoth - as long as there is no snow, you
        > should be able to hitch a ride to town. VVR is usually open until
        > October 15, possibly later. Then there's Mono Hot Springs Post office
        > near VVR that may be another option for even later supply, but it takes
        > you off the trail so far that you will probably hike past it to Florence
        > Lake and cut out the Bear Ridge to Muir Ranch section of the JMT. I've
        > done that once and it works well, even if you can't hitch-hike (in
        > October after VVR closes you won't see a lot of cars up there).
        >
        > The one thing I didn't like last September and which will keep me from
        > doing many more late season hikes was the lack of daylight. Days are so
        > short that you have to do a lot of stuff in the dark. It also gets
        > pretty cold at elevation, although nothing serious if you have the
        > proper gear. Layering your clothes becomes an art - last September temps
        > went from 25 in the morning to 75 in the afternoon and then dropped down
        > to 40 at 7pm as soon as the sun was behind the western ranges. Ice on
        > the tent at 6am, still totally dark, water frozen in the canteen...
        > I'd bet that many of the higher lakes will freeze in October and remain
        > frozen all day, so your trout fishing options could be more limited.

      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
          One thing to consider in October, it can be more than the "fly" that's stuck. Mid October 2004; a storm started on the 14th and by the 18th there was four feet of snow here in the backcountry.
          As I remember it over two dozen people were hauled out of the backcountry by various agencies.
          The storm was forecasted well ahead of time.
          On extended trips in late fall it is worth while having some sort of equipment to receive forecasts; weather radio, sat phone etc.

          JD
          www.johndittli.com
        • Curtis
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
            Thanks. I think it's going to be mid-September at the latest. I don't want to spend three weeks watching the sky. Stars, yes; cold fronts, no. Besides, our 20th anniversary is this October, and if I mess that up, I'm done for.

            By the way, I saw some of your pictures (I think they were yours) of people skating tarns. Aren't we just the funniest critters around?

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
              On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:51 AM, John <shop@...> wrote:

              On extended trips in late fall it is worth while having some sort of equipment to receive forecasts; weather radio, sat phone etc.

              Not as good an idea as John's but FYI:

              If you have cell phone reception (rare on the JMT), you can text

              w 93546

              to 466-453 (Google in numbers)

              and Google will send you a text message with a 3-day weather forecast for Mammoth Lakes (zip code 93546).

              Or try these zip codes instead

              95389 - Yosemite NP
              93633 - Kings Canyon
              93262 - Seqoia NP
              93545 - Lone Pine

              Weather forecast will, of course, not necessarily be accurate for your elevation.  Zip codes in this part of the State cover a lot of territory.

              San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
              415-648-9279

            • Curtis
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                Thanks for all the great intel. Some folks on another board set me up with a lot of information about satellite phone rentals. Here's a link to the thread:

                http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=73180&page=1#Post73180

                > On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:51 AM, John <shop@...> wrote:
                >
                > On extended trips in late fall it is worth while having some sort of
                > equipment to receive forecasts; weather radio, sat phone etc.
                >
                > Not as good an idea as John's but FYI:
                >
                > If you have cell phone reception (rare on the JMT), you can text
                >
                > w 93546
                >
                > to 466-453 (Google in numbers)
                >
                > and Google will send you a text message with a 3-day weather forecast for
                > Mammoth Lakes (zip code 93546).
                >
                > Or try these zip codes instead
                >
                > 95389 - Yosemite NP
                > 93633 - Kings Canyon
                > 93262 - Seqoia NP
                > 93545 - Lone Pine
                >
                > Weather forecast will, of course, not necessarily be accurate for your
                > elevation. Zip codes in this part of the State cover a lot of territory.
                >

                > John Curran Ladd
                > 1616 Castro Street
                > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                > 415-648-9279

              • hmdsierra
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                  When we did it we planned only one resupply at Red's Mdw. Took enough from HI to get there. When my friend dropped out my 10 year old son and I took two weeks worth to get us to Vidette. My friend planned to rejoin us there. He was unable to finish but did bring us enough food for my son and I to finish. He met us at Vidette on Friday and picked us up at WP the following Wednesday. We were on the heavy side leaving Red's but soon ate our way to a lower weight. That was in '82 so I could likely lighten the load a bit now. Frozen over lakes in October will be very rare. I've only seen two, one that didn't thaw over the summer with slushy ice and another just starting to get ice in late October.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                    Fantastic! Thanks so much. What a great group. I've gotten more useful beta in 3 days then I could from a bagful of books. Thanks to you all.