Best late season dates?

  • Curtis
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
      Hi y'all. I'm brand new to the group, and I haven't had time to sort through all the previous posts yet, and this has probably been covered before, but here it comes again. How late can I start, and (giving myself three-ish weeks) make it to Lone Pine before I get snowed in? If Trail Crest is the most problematic point, that's cool, because I prefer Cottonwood Pass anyway. In the same vein, what sort of nighttime temperatures might I expect? I've got good gear, and I'm o.k. with freak early snowstorms as long as it's not a couple of feet. I know there's always a lot of variables (that's why I dig doing this stuff), but whaddya think? Thank you.
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
        I've made many week long trips in October. Usually the second week but a couple of times the third week. You can expect a light, two or three day, storm the first week of October. Came out once the 26th in perfect weather. Another time the 25th in sunshine that turned to 6 inches of snow by late afternoon. Fortunately that was at Road's End in KC where my wife picked me up. Daytime temps in the 50s but nightime below freezing. One trip in late October gave us the mantra that "the creek froze over". So I would think that September would be fine but cold at night and the best weather but you could go late September and finish in October.

      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
          Hi Curtis, say have you work out where you are going to re supply yourself at remember TM, Reds Meadows, VVR, MTR will be close the later you wait. That leave you with Mammoth Lakes, Bishop and Independence

          From: "Curtis" <amiable_skeptic@...>
          Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 02:51:46 -0000
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Best late season dates?

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
            Thank you kindly. My birthday is 13 September, and now I know the perfect gift!

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
              Yeah, resupply is always the fly in the ointment, eh? I'm lucky I like trout so much. I'll be doing a loop through the Golden Trout Wilderness(shh, there's never any crowds down there) early on to figure out how many days worth of food I can carry; after that, I guess it's just shut up, enjoy the jerky, and keep moving.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

              > Hi Curtis, say have you work out where you are going to re supply yourself at remember TM, Reds Meadows, VVR, MTR will be close the later you wait. That leave you with Mammoth Lakes, Bishop and Independence

            • Peter Burke
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
                I've been up on top of peaks in mid October in a t-shirt, but the
                weather gets unpredictable that late. The key issue for the JMT is
                when the resupply locations close, which in most years is pretty much at
                the end of September. Last year the Muir Ranch closed earlier.

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                  Curtis wrote:

                  > Yeah, resupply is always the fly in the ointment, eh? I'm lucky I like
                  > trout so much. I'll be doing a loop through the Golden Trout
                  > Wilderness(shh, there's never any crowds down there) early on to
                  > figure out how many days worth of food I can carry; after that, I
                  > guess it's just shut up, enjoy the jerky, and keep moving.

                  you can easily resupply at Mammoth - as long as there is no snow, you
                  should be able to hitch a ride to town. VVR is usually open until
                  October 15, possibly later. Then there's Mono Hot Springs Post office
                  near VVR that may be another option for even later supply, but it takes
                  you off the trail so far that you will probably hike past it to Florence
                  Lake and cut out the Bear Ridge to Muir Ranch section of the JMT. I've
                  done that once and it works well, even if you can't hitch-hike (in
                  October after VVR closes you won't see a lot of cars up there).

                  The one thing I didn't like last September and which will keep me from
                  doing many more late season hikes was the lack of daylight. Days are so
                  short that you have to do a lot of stuff in the dark. It also gets
                  pretty cold at elevation, although nothing serious if you have the
                  proper gear. Layering your clothes becomes an art - last September temps
                  went from 25 in the morning to 75 in the afternoon and then dropped down
                  to 40 at 7pm as soon as the sun was behind the western ranges. Ice on
                  the tent at 6am, still totally dark, water frozen in the canteen...
                  I'd bet that many of the higher lakes will freeze in October and remain
                  frozen all day, so your trout fishing options could be more limited.
                • Curtis
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                    Thank you for the reminder about the shortening days. I hadn't thought about that. The older I get, the longer it takes me to get moving.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

                    > Curtis wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Yeah, resupply is always the fly in the ointment, eh? I'm lucky I like
                    > > trout so much. I'll be doing a loop through the Golden Trout
                    > > Wilderness(shh, there's never any crowds down there) early on to
                    > > figure out how many days worth of food I can carry; after that, I
                    > > guess it's just shut up, enjoy the jerky, and keep moving.
                    > >

                    > you can easily resupply at Mammoth - as long as there is no snow, you
                    > should be able to hitch a ride to town. VVR is usually open until
                    > October 15, possibly later. Then there's Mono Hot Springs Post office
                    > near VVR that may be another option for even later supply, but it takes
                    > you off the trail so far that you will probably hike past it to Florence
                    > Lake and cut out the Bear Ridge to Muir Ranch section of the JMT. I've
                    > done that once and it works well, even if you can't hitch-hike (in
                    > October after VVR closes you won't see a lot of cars up there).
                    >
                    > The one thing I didn't like last September and which will keep me from
                    > doing many more late season hikes was the lack of daylight. Days are so
                    > short that you have to do a lot of stuff in the dark. It also gets
                    > pretty cold at elevation, although nothing serious if you have the
                    > proper gear. Layering your clothes becomes an art - last September temps
                    > went from 25 in the morning to 75 in the afternoon and then dropped down
                    > to 40 at 7pm as soon as the sun was behind the western ranges. Ice on
                    > the tent at 6am, still totally dark, water frozen in the canteen...
                    > I'd bet that many of the higher lakes will freeze in October and remain
                    > frozen all day, so your trout fishing options could be more limited.

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                      One thing to consider in October, it can be more than the "fly" that's stuck. Mid October 2004; a storm started on the 14th and by the 18th there was four feet of snow here in the backcountry.
                      As I remember it over two dozen people were hauled out of the backcountry by various agencies.
                      The storm was forecasted well ahead of time.
                      On extended trips in late fall it is worth while having some sort of equipment to receive forecasts; weather radio, sat phone etc.

                      JD
                      www.johndittli.com
                    • Curtis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                        Thanks. I think it's going to be mid-September at the latest. I don't want to spend three weeks watching the sky. Stars, yes; cold fronts, no. Besides, our 20th anniversary is this October, and if I mess that up, I'm done for.

                        By the way, I saw some of your pictures (I think they were yours) of people skating tarns. Aren't we just the funniest critters around?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                          On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:51 AM, John <shop@...> wrote:

                          On extended trips in late fall it is worth while having some sort of equipment to receive forecasts; weather radio, sat phone etc.

                          Not as good an idea as John's but FYI:

                          If you have cell phone reception (rare on the JMT), you can text

                          w 93546

                          to 466-453 (Google in numbers)

                          and Google will send you a text message with a 3-day weather forecast for Mammoth Lakes (zip code 93546).

                          Or try these zip codes instead

                          95389 - Yosemite NP
                          93633 - Kings Canyon
                          93262 - Seqoia NP
                          93545 - Lone Pine

                          Weather forecast will, of course, not necessarily be accurate for your elevation.  Zip codes in this part of the State cover a lot of territory.

                          San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
                          415-648-9279

                        • Curtis
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                            Thanks for all the great intel. Some folks on another board set me up with a lot of information about satellite phone rentals. Here's a link to the thread:

                            http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=73180&page=1#Post73180

                            > On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:51 AM, John <shop@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > On extended trips in late fall it is worth while having some sort of
                            > equipment to receive forecasts; weather radio, sat phone etc.
                            >
                            > Not as good an idea as John's but FYI:
                            >
                            > If you have cell phone reception (rare on the JMT), you can text
                            >
                            > w 93546
                            >
                            > to 466-453 (Google in numbers)
                            >
                            > and Google will send you a text message with a 3-day weather forecast for
                            > Mammoth Lakes (zip code 93546).
                            >
                            > Or try these zip codes instead
                            >
                            > 95389 - Yosemite NP
                            > 93633 - Kings Canyon
                            > 93262 - Seqoia NP
                            > 93545 - Lone Pine
                            >
                            > Weather forecast will, of course, not necessarily be accurate for your
                            > elevation. Zip codes in this part of the State cover a lot of territory.
                            >

                            > John Curran Ladd
                            > 1616 Castro Street
                            > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                            > 415-648-9279

                          • hmdsierra
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                              When we did it we planned only one resupply at Red's Mdw. Took enough from HI to get there. When my friend dropped out my 10 year old son and I took two weeks worth to get us to Vidette. My friend planned to rejoin us there. He was unable to finish but did bring us enough food for my son and I to finish. He met us at Vidette on Friday and picked us up at WP the following Wednesday. We were on the heavy side leaving Red's but soon ate our way to a lower weight. That was in '82 so I could likely lighten the load a bit now. Frozen over lakes in October will be very rare. I've only seen two, one that didn't thaw over the summer with slushy ice and another just starting to get ice in late October.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                                Fantastic! Thanks so much. What a great group. I've gotten more useful beta in 3 days then I could from a bagful of books. Thanks to you all.