Protecting Your Food

  • Greg Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
      First time poster here. I'm doing the trail by myself starting around August 10. The thread
      about food in the sleeping bag prompts this question. It seems so obvious that it's a little
      embarrassing, but you never know...

      Bears have a phenomenal sense of smell, but can they small freeze dried? I can carry
      enough food in my pack for the run from Vermillion to Whitney Portal, but I can't carry it
      all in that damn black plastic monster. So I'm thinking the freeze dried and the few, very
      few, cans that I take can go in a stuff sack well hidden or in the tent. I'm sure habituated
      bears have learned to recognize cans and freeze dried packaging by sight, but those
      things can't really have a food odor, can they? If the packaging is porous enough to emit
      odor, it's porous enough to absord air, and that would cause spoilage. Since freeze dried
      doesn't spoil...

      What do others do for that long stretch of the trail?

      Greg
    • Vera Lehmkuhl
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
        There are other bags you can put them in that are supposed to block odor made by a company called Alosac or Alousac...instead of using just ziplock...
        vera

        Greg Williams <gregoryw@...> wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • JD Schaefer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
          Aloksak in various sizes
          http://tinyurl.com/4swgw

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
            An alternative to sleeping with your food or depending on scent
            minimizing is to rent the larger size Bearikade. By repackaging
            your food you can probably get 11 days worth of food in + one day's
            food in your pack to be eaten on your first day after resupplying.
            I have gotten nine days of food in the Weekender. Depending on your
            mileage, if you resupply at the Muir Trail Ranch, you should be able
            to make it to Whitney Portal without too much trouble. The issue of
            sleeping with food in your tent inspires a lot of controversy, which
            I don't want to play into. Some believe that the practice may not
            only endanger yourself, but others as well if bears begin to
            interpret tents as pantries. If you're a highly experienced stealth
            camper, you might sail through without any problem, particularly if
            you finish your hike before July 1.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Williams"
            <gregoryw@c...> wrote:

            > First time poster here. I'm doing the trail by myself starting
            around August 10. The thread
            > about food in the sleeping bag prompts this question. It seems so
            obvious that it's a little
            > embarrassing, but you never know...
            >
            > Bears have a phenomenal sense of smell, but can they small freeze
            dried? I can carry
            > enough food in my pack for the run from Vermillion to Whitney
            Portal, but I can't carry it
            > all in that damn black plastic monster. So I'm thinking the freeze
            dried and the few, very
            > few, cans that I take can go in a stuff sack well hidden or in the
            tent. I'm sure habituated
            > bears have learned to recognize cans and freeze dried packaging by
            sight, but those
            > things can't really have a food odor, can they? If the packaging
            is porous enough to emit
            > odor, it's porous enough to absord air, and that would cause
            spoilage. Since freeze dried
            > doesn't spoil...
            >
            > What do others do for that long stretch of the trail?
            >
            > Greg
          • hmdsierra
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
              I know a bear at Guitar Lake squeezed a can of tuna till it was empty.
              I had a dog that chewed a can of dog food bear style until it was
              essentially empty. I'm sure he smelled it because he never chewed a
              can of green beans. Apparently bears can smell quite well so any
              food, canned or freeze dried, probably smells quite strong to them.
              My question tho is that I cook in bacon grease and only wash the pan
              when I've fried fish, so how come the bear has never licked my fry pan
              clean?