sleeping pads options?

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 17, 2010

      “Indecisive” is my middle (if not first) name.  So – I have a Neoair, a Thermarest Prolite 3 and a Thermarest Prolite 4.  I’m reading up on a POE Ether Thermo 6.  Does anyone have any yeahs or nays on these?  Please don’t add any others to the mix (I know some of you like Montbell, but they don’t work for me).

      I have a Phantom 15 degree down bag.

      I’m a side sleeper and I  sleep cold.

      I know I can sleep on a Neoair and a Prolite 4 comfortably.  The Prolite 3 is not warm/comfortable enough for me.  Will the Neo or Prolite 4 be warm enough if it gets below freezing?  Or might the POE Therno Ether 6 be better?

      Thanks, Barbara

    • Bgibson
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 17, 2010
        I'm fine with the Prolite 3, but then I'm a warm sleeper. Have used mine a couple nights with icy rain and sleet peppering the tent and I was fine, comfortable also.
        Bob

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 17, 2010

          Thanks Bob.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 17, 2010
            I've used my NeoAir comfortably to about 15-20 degrees but in cold weather I I double it up with a closed cell pad in lieu of a groundsheet under my bivy.

            Ridgecrest Pad (closed cell)

            http://www.rei.com/product/708520

            I've used it to about 35 degrees without the second pad.  I've been comfortable - but people are way different.

            The second pad is cheap ($25 - less for a shot one) and provides redundency and is very comfortable and very warm when combined with the NeoAir.

            14 oz. of extra weight will turn off the ultralight among us, but for me its worth it, at least until I trust my NeoAir more than I do now.  I love the NeoAir but it does look susceptible to total failure.

            I'd take a repair kit if I were to go with only the NeoAir.

            http://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-Repair-Sleeping-Accessory/dp/B001RRAQO0

            Can't comment on your other options other than the obvious comment that I've found the Prolite is nice and warm.

            You'll see that REI spec pages usually provide R-values on sleeping pads - gives you some standard of comparison.

            San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
            415-648-9279

          • ned@mountaineducation.org
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 17, 2010
              On our most recent Snow Course, one of our students used a down air mattress made by Warmlite:
              http://warmlite.com/down-air-mattress-alone. Considering the ambient temps were down to 12-degrees, when it wasn't snowing, he was warm and insulated from the ground. The rest of us used doubled-up summer pads and some were still cold.

              I don't know if this product is the next new mousetrap out on the market, but it worked for him for winter camping!

              Ned Tibbits, Director
              Mountain Education
              P.O. Box 1477
              South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96156
                  P: 888-996-8333
                  F: 530-541-1456

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 17, 2010

                Thanks Ned!

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 28, 2010
                  Hi Barbara,

                  I know you are a regular here, I seem to come and go with the seasons. I have done the JMT twice and the HST once. I have had many self inflating pads over the years, they all worked and kept me warm but never overly comfortable. 4 years ago I discovered the Big Agnes insulated Air Core pad. I absoulutely love it! Yes, I do have to spend 2 short minutes blowing it up, but for an all night warm comfortable sleep it is all worth it.

                  http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

                  > "Indecisive" is my middle (if not first) name. So - I have a Neoair, a
                  > Thermarest Prolite 3 and a Thermarest Prolite 4. I'm reading up on a POE
                  > Ether Thermo 6. Does anyone have any yeahs or nays on these? Please don't
                  > add any others to the mix (I know some of you like Montbell, but they don't
                  > work for me).
                  >
                  > I have a Phantom 15 degree down bag.
                  >
                  > I'm a side sleeper and I sleep cold.
                  >
                  > I know I can sleep on a Neoair and a Prolite 4 comfortably. The Prolite 3
                  > is not warm/comfortable enough for me. Will the Neo or Prolite 4 be warm
                  > enough if it gets below freezing? Or might the POE Therno Ether 6 be
                  > better?
                  >
                  > Thanks, Barbara

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 28, 2010

                    Oohh, thank you.  I’ve been reading up on that one too.  There were a couple of comments about puncture failures – but sounds like it’s a winner for you.  I’m checking it out – any special model?  Barbara

                    I know you are a regular here, I seem to come and go with the seasons. I have done the JMT twice and the HST once. I have had many self inflating pads over the years, they all worked and kept me warm but never overly comfortable. 4 years ago I discovered the Big Agnes insulated Air Core pad. I absoulutely love it! Yes, I do have to spend 2 short minutes blowing it up, but for an all night warm comfortable sleep it is all worth it.

                    http://www.bigagnes .com/Products/ Detail/Pad/ InsulatedAirCore

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@... > wrote:

                    > "Indecisive" is my middle (if not first) name. So - I have a
                    Neoair, a
                    > Thermarest Prolite 3 and a Thermarest Prolite 4. I'm reading up on a POE
                    > Ether Thermo 6. Does anyone have any yeahs or nays on these? Please don't
                    > add any others to the mix (I know some of you like Montbell, but they
                    don't
                    > work for me).
                    >
                    > I have a Phantom 15 degree down bag.
                    >
                    > I'm a side sleeper and I sleep cold.
                    >
                    > I know I can sleep on a Neoair and a Prolite 4 comfortably. The Prolite 3
                    > is not warm/comfortable enough for me. Will the Neo or Prolite 4 be warm
                    > enough if it gets below freezing? Or might the POE Therno Ether 6 be
                    > better?
                    >
                    > Thanks, Barbara

                  • eaglepdub
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 28, 2010
                      I like the insulated Air core.... rectangular and a little longer than I am tall because for some reason when we lay flat we get LONGER!

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

                      > Oohh, thank you. I've been reading up on that one too. There were a couple
                      > of comments about puncture failures - but sounds like it's a winner for you.
                      > I'm checking it out - any special model? Barbara
                      >

                      > _____

                    • Kevin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29, 2010
                        Take the NeoAir. It's comfortable, very light, and takes up almost no space in your backpack when rolled up.
                      • Barbara Burns
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 29, 2010
                          I'll cast my vote for the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad, as well. I used it on the JMT last year and slept like a baby, warm and cushy!
                          Karpani

                          Oohh, thank you.  I’ve been reading up on that one too.  There were a couple of comments about puncture failures – but sounds like it’s a winner for you.  I’m checking it out – any special model?  Barbara

                          I know you are a regular here, I seem to come and go with the seasons. I have done the JMT twice and the HST once. I have had many self inflating pads over the years, they all worked and kept me warm but never overly comfortable. 4 years ago I discovered the Big Agnes insulated Air Core pad. I absoulutely love it! Yes, I do have to spend 2 short minutes blowing it up, but for an all night warm comfortable sleep it is all worth it.

                          http://www.bigagnes .com/Products/ Detail/Pad/ InsulatedAirCore

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@... > wrote:

                          > "Indecisive" is my middle (if not first) name. So - I have a Neoair, a
                          > Thermarest Prolite 3 and a Thermarest Prolite 4. I'm reading up on a POE
                          > Ether Thermo 6. Does anyone have any yeahs or nays on these? Please don't
                          > add any others to the mix (I know some of you like Montbell, but they don't
                          > work for me).
                          >
                          > I have a Phantom 15 degree down bag.
                          >
                          > I'm a side sleeper and I sleep cold.
                          >
                          > I know I can sleep on a Neoair and a Prolite 4 comfortably. The Prolite 3
                          > is not warm/comfortable enough for me. Will the Neo or Prolite 4 be warm
                          > enough if it gets below freezing? Or might the POE Therno Ether 6 be
                          > better?
                          >
                          > Thanks, Barbara

                        • LEBRUN
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                            Ditto

                            On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM, eaglepdub <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                            Hi Barbara,

                            I know you are a regular here, I seem to come and go with the seasons. I have done the JMT twice and the HST once. I have had many self inflating pads over the years, they all worked and kept me warm but never overly comfortable. 4 years ago I discovered the Big Agnes insulated Air Core pad. I absoulutely love it! Yes, I do have to spend 2 short minutes blowing it up, but for an all night warm comfortable sleep it is all worth it.

                            http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian" <barbara@...> wrote:

                            > "Indecisive" is my middle (if not first) name. So - I have a Neoair, a
                            > Thermarest Prolite 3 and a Thermarest Prolite 4. I'm reading up on a POE
                            > Ether Thermo 6. Does anyone have any yeahs or nays on these? Please don't
                            > add any others to the mix (I know some of you like Montbell, but they don't
                            > work for me).
                            >
                            > I have a Phantom 15 degree down bag.
                            >
                            > I'm a side sleeper and I sleep cold.
                            >
                            > I know I can sleep on a Neoair and a Prolite 4 comfortably. The Prolite 3
                            > is not warm/comfortable enough for me. Will the Neo or Prolite 4 be warm
                            > enough if it gets below freezing? Or might the POE Therno Ether 6 be
                            > better?
                            >
                            > Thanks, Barbara

                          • Peter Burke
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 3, 2010
                              here's the pad I've used for the last 3 JMTs

                              http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Pacific-Outdoor-Equipment-Peak-Oyl-Lite-Sleeping-Pad/POE0093M.html

                              light, and the bulges along the dides keep you from rolling off it at
                              night. Since there's no foam in the edges, it packs pretty small, too,
                              and no leaks in 3 JMTs and counting. Also a lot cheaper than the latest
                              and greatest Thermarests.

                              Only issue I had with it was in fall when the cold nights would cause
                              the pressure to drop enough overnight that you either touch the ground
                              in the morning or go for an awkward mid-night re-inflation. That's a
                              problem with all inflatables and the reason why in cold climate, many
                              use a foam pad below the inflatable to insulate it from the ground. Not
                              a big problem in mid summer on the JMT, though. I may add a really thin
                              foam pad this year for the first days and see if that is worth the added
                              weight. If not I'll mail that home from Tuolumne. Sleeping comfortably
                              is almost as important as having the right shoes and eating well if
                              you're up there for a long time.