Re: [John Muir Trail] Entry permits dates for July/Aug 2005

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2005
      --- Dana Clemensen <dclemensen@...> wrote:

      > I was told I only need an entry permit in order to
      > hike the JMT. Can
      > anyone confirm this for me. Are any other permits
      > needed?? Whitney??

      I believe that's correct. The determining factor is
      status of the entry trailhead's quota for that day.
      If you enter from Happy Isles listing an exit at
      Whitney Portal, the determining factor will be the
      entry days quota at Happy Isles. As long as you have
      Whitney Portal listed as the exit, you won't ave any
      problem on Whitney. Keep in mind that the park
      reeserves a certain percentage for walk-on's. At
      least that is what they use to do.

      =====
      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor
      tgtaylor7@...
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
    • Anthony Zurowski
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2005
        totally right--- go through the Yosemite Association
        thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
        --- Dana Clemensen <dclemensen@...> wrote:

        > I was told I only need an entry permit in order to
        > hike the JMT. Can
        > anyone confirm this for me. Are any other permits
        > needed?? Whitney??

        I believe that's correct. The determining factor is
        status of the entry trailhead's quota for that day.
        If you enter from Happy Isles listing an exit at
        Whitney Portal, the determining factor will be the
        entry days quota at Happy Isles. As long as you have
        Whitney Portal listed as the exit, you won't ave any
        problem on Whitney. Keep in mind that the park
        reeserves a certain percentage for walk-on's. At
        least that is what they use to do.

        =====
        Best regards,

        Thomas

        Thomas Taylor
        tgtaylor7@...
        http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        \
        tony

      • Catra Corbett
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2005
          I fast packed the JMT last year, did a Yo Yo. I went to the permit office in Yosemite the day before and got my permit. Didn't seem to be a problem. 2003 I did the JMT started at Whitney Portals. Went the day of my trip. Got a permit that morning no problem. It was on a Wed. I think.
          Was planning on fast packing the PCT. I have changed my plans. I will go next year when my schedule is more flexible for a later start date if need be. I was planning on starting May 13th. I was planning on finishing in 80 days. I feel it will be impossible to go that fast with all the snow. If I could go later in June it would work, but can't. I have plans in September.

          I will be doing a Yo Yo Yo on the JMT. I hope to do it in 20 days or less. I plan on just heading to the ranger station in Lone Pine the day I want to start. Mid week seems best to get a permit.
          Hey does anyone know of a person fast packing a triple on the JMT??????
          It should be fun.
          I will start the third week of July..

          Cheers,
          Catra "Dirt Diva"

          Dana Clemensen <dclemensen@...> wrote:

          I recently called to get my entry permit (Happy Isl - Pass through)
          for my JMT trip starting Aug 5, 2005 and was told I was the last one
          to get an entry permit for that day. After talking to the Yosemite
          Wilderness Permit Office I found out that most of the July and a
          good part of August for entry permits out of Happy Isl is already
          full. Anyone who has not called to secure their entry permit to
          start their JMT trek out of Happy Isl better do so now.

          I was told I only need an entry permit in order to hike the JMT. Can
          anyone confirm this for me. Are any other permits needed?? Whitney??

          Dana Clemensen
          JMT 2005 Treker N-S
          Aug 5 - Aug 26

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Vera Lehmkuhl

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2005
              When I went a day early, they made a phone call and changed the entry
              date. Maybe things have changed but a friendly attitude always works
              wonders. When you start out saying "I hear you're the best Ranger in
              the whole Park." They either bar the door or sigh and ask what special
              accomodation you need.
              JD

              Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

              >they told me the same thing that 1 permit was all you needed...dang...we have a permit for July 31 that I had hoped to trade for Aug 3, 4 or 5 ...bummer oh well. My daughter is having a baby very close to that date and it was a compromise date with our work/store schedule...:) I am such a bad mother...
              >vera
              >
              >Dana Clemensen <dclemensen@...> wrote:
              >
              >I recently called to get my entry permit (Happy Isl - Pass through)
              >for my JMT trip starting Aug 5, 2005 and was told I was the last one
              >to get an entry permit for that day. After talking to the Yosemite
              >Wilderness Permit Office I found out that most of the July and a
              >good part of August for entry permits out of Happy Isl is already
              >full. Anyone who has not called to secure their entry permit to
              >start their JMT trek out of Happy Isl better do so now.
              >
              >I was told I only need an entry permit in order to hike the JMT. Can
              >anyone confirm this for me. Are any other permits needed?? Whitney??
              >
              >Dana Clemensen
              >JMT 2005 Treker N-S
              >Aug 5 - Aug 26
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Vera Lehmkuhl

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2005
                  JD,
                  I suppose I HAVE to do that with eye batting too eh? :) good idea...we will have come so far that I think we will want to have it all settled ahead of time...ie if we can't change our permits now then we'll just have to force that baby to come so we can come on the 31st...:) dang kids...I tell you what...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2005
                    > Catra Corbett <catrarunner@...> wrote:
                    > I will be doing a Yo Yo Yo on the JMT.

                    With all due respect to your love of the Sierra, going
                    up, down, and then back up the SAME Sierra trail
                    consecutatively is the most unimagative and boring
                    thing I can think of. With all the great scenery out
                    there, most of which is off the JMT, I'd opt for
                    different routes.

                    =====

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2005
                      Trust me Thomas.. I know all about the other trails. I have run many of them. It's just the challenge of doing something no one has done. Trust me it's not boring and it's safe for me since I will have to supply drops that I can access 2 times each way. I will also do the Tahoe rim trail this summer going to break my womens record of 72 hours. I will try and do it in 51 hours. There are also a couple other projects I will try and do like climbing El Cap, well making to the top this time without breaking my arm again.
                      I also have 6 more 100 mile trail race's to run before the end of the year.

                      Oh, and I have friends who will be doing the JMT on direction who I will pass to times along the way.
                      I was suppose to attempt the PCT was shooting for under 80 days. The timing isn't right. I would have to star on May 13th to be back in time for a 100 mile trail race. With all the snow, my friends helped me decide to wait until next year. I agree with them, the PCT will be my main focus and I won't try and run 30 trail race's next year..

                      I do love the JMT....

                      Cheers,
                      Catra "Dirt Diva"