Re: packers, impact etc

  • John
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 5, 2010
      Yep, impacts are impacts and the more we can reduce ours the better we leave the place. And since many of you have children, perhaps you would like to leave the place in as good or better shape for them. In 35 years of working in the backcountry I've yet to find anyone TOO concerned about leaving impact.

      There used to be a saying in backpacking; "watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves". In some ways this can also be applied to minimum impact.

      During my patrols I have seen first hand the result from people sitting on a log, rock, tent etc. with heavy soled boots, unwittingly grinding their heels into plants and soil. Watch this day after day, week after week summer after summer and the impacts become quite apparent (and measurable), especially in and around camp.

      I'm not saying everyone needs to go out and buy camp shoes, or hike in running shoes, I'm merely stating the facts.

      All of the above has nothing to do with horses, dogs, bikes, motorcycles; it has to do with us, hikers.

      If we want to talk about horses we can do that, but I don't think there are many people on this forum using them.

      Lastly, yes, we are all hypocrites, the only species on earth that are.

      JD
      www.johndittli.com