Re: early season camping at TM

  • cjoslyn99
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2010
      Thanks, John.

      Figured they wouldn't "advertise" it. Question about the car part. I assume this means you can't park in TM Campground but you can leave it at one of the nearby trailhead lots (e.g, Lembert).

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <shop@...> wrote:

      > From a very reliable source (TM permit station supervisor). Camping IS allowed at the BP camp prior to opening of the Campground. You must have a permit, cannot have a car, and MUST use the toilets at Lembert Dome picnic area.
      >
      > JD
      > Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
      > www.johndittli.com

    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2010
        >. Question about the car part. I assume this means you can't park in TM Campground but you can leave it at one of the nearby trailhead lots (e.g, Lembert).<

        I'm not sure about parking at Lembert as it is a day use area. Wilderness parking lot, Soda Springs, or Cathedral are probably your best bet.

        JD
        www.johndittli.com
      • Peter Burke
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2010
          there's a long term parking lot right at the Ranger Station in Tuolumne Meadows, 10 mins walking from the backpacker camp area, bear boxes and everything so you can clear out the car. Room for probably 100 cars. We parked there last summer for over 3 weeks.

          The TM campground also opens well before the July 1 in most years. Once the campground is open, pick any site you like - backpacker camp is the same fee as any other site and at the very far edge of the campground.  Just get your own regular site closer to bathrooms and the Meadow Grill instead ;-)