Re: [John Muir Trail] Looks like at least an average snowpack year

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
      We have just finished the March 1st snow surveys, the unofficial results; Kern R 126%, Kings 99%, SJ 107%, Tuolumne 111%.  These are all percentages TO DATE.  April 1st is the average that is used for what is usually the MAXIMUM water content in the snow pack in a given winter. While it may (and usually does) snow in April and May, more snow/water is lost during these months than gained.

      As Peter mentioned, an "average" snow winter doesn't necessarily mean an average summer snowpack. We may get a long cold spring that prolongs the runoff, or a very hot one that floods. In some cases we get heavy snow winters that are interspersed with long warm, dry spells that create deep snow on north slopes and early melt off on southerly aspects.

      In any case, on the average, an average snow pack leads to average runoff leading to average summer snow... on the average.

      If anyone is interested in how snow surveys are done, I put up a couple of videos I did last month.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfu6IPsJvho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzrFcUpqn9s

      JD