Re: [John Muir Trail] --> when to hike

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
      August/September is a great time to be in the High Sierra. My then 10
      year old son a friend and I started our JMT trip Aug 1 1982. It had
      been a heavy snow year and we had some snow on almost every pass.
      Island Pass was the only one with no snow. My friend had knee
      problems and dropped out at Devil's Postpile. My son and I continued
      on and finished Aug 25. In '93 my friend and I did JMT from South Lk.
      to Whitney leaving around the 28th of August and we had great weather
      the whole time ane no really cold nights. Our last night at Hitchcock
      Lks. gave us a warmer morning than I had experienced in early August a
      couple of years earlier. We often did trips in mid October and had
      good weather with chilly (really chilly)nights. On one of those Fall
      trips we went from South Lk. to Florence Lk. (LeConte - Evolution)and
      ran across a few people doing JMT thru hikes. I thought October might
      be a bit late for such a long hike as the weather could intervene
      slowing or ending the trip.

      > My partner is convinced it will snow and be too cold end of Aug into
      Sept.
    • Vera Lehmkuhl
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
        thanks for the info...I am not too concerned about cold below 30 to about 20 but snow and lower temps are a concern...I am allergic to down and have a pretty old polarguard bag...so guess we are sticking to the Aug dates...:)

        hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        August/September is a great time to be in the High Sierra. My then 10
        year old son a friend and I started our JMT trip Aug 1 1982. It had
        been a heavy snow year and we had some snow on almost every pass.
        Island Pass was the only one with no snow. My friend had knee
        problems and dropped out at Devil's Postpile. My son and I continued
        on and finished Aug 25. In '93 my friend and I did JMT from South Lk.
        to Whitney leaving around the 28th of August and we had great weather
        the whole time ane no really cold nights. Our last night at Hitchcock
        Lks. gave us a warmer morning than I had experienced in early August a
        couple of years earlier. We often did trips in mid October and had
        good weather with chilly (really chilly)nights. On one of those Fall
        trips we went from South Lk. to Florence Lk. (LeConte - Evolution)and
        ran across a few people doing JMT thru hikes. I thought October might
        be a bit late for such a long hike as the weather could intervene
        slowing or ending the trip.

        > My partner is convinced it will snow and be too cold end of Aug into
        Sept.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
          For low temp (below 0F) consider taking a
          tent,thermorest mattress, 20 degree above zero bag and
          a liner. I did that last winter to save on weight and
          bulk (I have a 40 below bag) and was perfectly warm at
          7 below zero while camped off glacer point road. The
          weather service had predicted 10 above!

          =====
          Best regards,

          Thomas

          Thomas Taylor
          tgtaylor7@...
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
        • Vera Lehmkuhl
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
            Thomas,
            thanks for the reply...well I hate to tell you but this is exactly what I do and my silly bag (8 years old and seen some miles and polarguard at that) just doesnt' keep me warm. Again anyone have suggests on decent polarguard bags that are true to degree rating?
            vera

            thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
            For low temp (below 0F) consider taking a
            tent,thermorest mattress, 20 degree above zero bag and
            a liner. I did that last winter to save on weight and
            bulk (I have a 40 below bag) and was perfectly warm at
            7 below zero while camped off glacer point road. The
            weather service had predicted 10 above!
            --- Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to: