Re: [John Muir Trail] Food Drops

  • Dan Kronstadt
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 2 8:19 PM
      People often avoid putting their email address directly into messages, to make it harder for them to be picked up by software that scans the net and harvests email addresses, to be used for spam. That's why they might spell out "at" rather than using the @.

      I don't think it matters much - our email addresses are all over the place - for example, in the message headers, on web sites (altho those can be protected), etc - but people do want to feel they have some control in the battle with the bad guys. :-)

      Dan

      Todd Sharp wrote:
       BuehlerBulkFoods

      I pulled the whole string off of the Whitneyportalstore.com website.

      By looking at it I will have to say that the correct address would be

      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    • Todd Sharp
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 3 5:10 AM
        This is the message I received from Mellisa last night

        Todd,

        I will do drops at a trailhead or road crossing.  I am located at Mammoth Lakes, so you could also meet me here.  I am willing to pop over a pass to meet you, but I will have to decide that on a case by case basis.  I am in the process of making a list of the different meeting spots and prices, but it mainly depends on how far from Mammoth and accessibility of the meeting spot.

        I also want hikers to send me a tentative list of food for the resupply, so I can get inventory ordered.

        What do you have in mind?

        Sincerely,
         Melissa Buehler

      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 3 7:10 AM
          Thanks Todd for that up date. Guess for me I stay with the P.O.

          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 3 7:54 AM
            On 3/3/2010 7:10 AM, Todd Sharp wrote:

            This is the message I received from Mellisa last night

            Todd,

            I will do drops at a trailhead or road crossing.  I am located at Mammoth Lakes, so you could also meet me here.  I am willing to pop over a pass to meet you, but I will have to decide that on a case by case basis.

            ...there goes my Taboose Pass resupply :-)
          • Jack Young
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 3 8:21 AM
              "The rangers frown heavily on this type of volunteerism. "

              Hum, I don't believe this.  I've met and number of the rangers and know a retired one very well.  They have encouraged me to do this especially over Kearsarge Pass...which many people of course do.
              Be well,
              Jack Young
              530-219-7900

            • yountvlmom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 3 8:28 AM
                Hi all:  I am sure this is not a volunteer trail anger.  My take is you hire her to meet you and bring supplies.
                Darlene

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 3 5:47 PM
                    a quick google search turned up this info posted on the Adventure on the PCT website. Another is on Hidg Sierra Topix forum.

                    High Sierra Food Drops
                    Buehler's Bulk Foods is a new business that caters to the needs of backpackers on the PCT, JMT and in the Eastern Sierras. We are located out of Mammoth Lakes, California. The mission of Buehler's Bulk Foods is to provide the users of the Eastern Sierras the highest quality of bulk food for the fairest price to the producers, consumers and to the Earth.

                    I will have on stock: spices and herbs, teas, coffees, baking needs, nuts, dried fruits and vegetables, grains and cereals, and beans and seeds. Only organic fruits and vegetables will be used for dehydration. Other supplies (i.e. duct tape, snicker bars, tasty bites, water purifying tablets) will be available for the food drop service.

                    Send me an email or call me with a food order, I will fill the order, and drop it off at a designated destination along the PCT from Lone Pine to Bridgeport.

                    Contact Information:
                    Melissa Buehler
                    Phone: (707)832-9719
                    email: melissa.buehler@...--- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, yountvlmom@... wrote:

                    > Hi all: I am sure this is not a volunteer trail anger. My take is you hire her to meet you and bring supplies.
                    > Darlene

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4 8:26 PM

                      > I find it ironic that people here are concerned about wearing rigid
                      > boots in camp, when on the next day a group of 10 horses and pack
                      > animals can make camp in the same area, giving camp erosion a whole new
                      > meaning.

                      Chances are, if you are smart, you won't be camping in a "horse" camp. Therefore in a hikers camp, the impacts are all ours.

                      Just because pack trains cause more damage than hikers do, isn't a valid reason not to care about our impact.

                      JD
                      www.johndittli.com
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4 8:48 PM
                        As an ex bc ranger I think I can safely say that rangers don't frown on "volunteerism" as it is not illegal. What they do frown on is commercial activities that are carried out without a commercial permit.

                        If this concerns you, you may wish to ask whom ever is taking your money, if they have a permit to work it the given location (ie. National Forests or National Park)

                        JD
                        www.johndittli.com

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jack Young <auctionjack@...> wrote:

                        > "The rangers frown heavily on this type of volunteerism. "
                        >
                        > Hum, I don't believe this. I've met and number of the rangers and know a retired one very well. They have encouraged me to do this especially over Kearsarge Pass...which many people of course do.
                        > Be well,
                        > Jack Young
                        > 530-219-7900

                      • Peter Burke
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 5 11:01 AM
                          On 3/4/2010 10:26 PM, John wrote:

                          > I find it ironic that people here are concerned about wearing rigid
                          > boots in camp, when on the next day a group of 10 horses and pack
                          > animals can make camp in the same area, giving camp erosion a whole new
                          > meaning.

                          Chances are, if you are smart, you won't be camping in a "horse" camp. Therefore in a hikers camp, the impacts are all ours.

                          so it is ok for horses to tear up another area? this makes no sense to me. Impact is impact.

                          Just because pack trains cause more damage than hikers do, isn't a valid reason not to care about our impact.

                          agreed, but I don't see how the type of my footwear will make any measurable difference anywhere, while cutting back on stock will dramatically change trail erosion and get rid of those ridiculous stock gates on the trail.  Also, if everyone was so concerned about their own impact to go as far as to pick footwear based on soil erosion potential, we should all just stay home - nothing better for the wilderness than your complete absence. But then we are selfish and want to be there, and that comes with impact. We accept that, and don't deal with that very basic initial choice we make. Once we arrive at that point, we suddenly care and make these band-aid fixes to feel like we are doing all we can. We are such hypocrites :-)

                          Peter

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 5 6:43 PM
                            Yep, impacts are impacts and the more we can reduce ours the better we leave the place. And since many of you have children, perhaps you would like to leave the place in as good or better shape for them. In 35 years of working in the backcountry I've yet to find anyone TOO concerned about leaving impact.

                            There used to be a saying in backpacking; "watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves". In some ways this can also be applied to minimum impact.

                            During my patrols I have seen first hand the result from people sitting on a log, rock, tent etc. with heavy soled boots, unwittingly grinding their heels into plants and soil. Watch this day after day, week after week summer after summer and the impacts become quite apparent (and measurable), especially in and around camp.

                            I'm not saying everyone needs to go out and buy camp shoes, or hike in running shoes, I'm merely stating the facts.

                            All of the above has nothing to do with horses, dogs, bikes, motorcycles; it has to do with us, hikers.

                            If we want to talk about horses we can do that, but I don't think there are many people on this forum using them.

                            Lastly, yes, we are all hypocrites, the only species on earth that are.

                            JD
                            www.johndittli.com