Re: [John Muir Trail] Permits

  • jmaddog1082@charter.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 2 9:35 AM
      So far, I'm 0 for 2 on the permit thing.

      Faxed in my request for 8/16 entry on Sunday night - ALL 3 choices denied.

      Faxed in my request for 8/17 entry on Monday night - ALL 3 choices denied.

      I'll try again tonight...

      Here's my request for both attempts with a party of 4:
      1st: HI to LYV (or beyond)
      2nd: HI to Sunrise
      3rd: GP to LYV (or beyond)

      Perhaps I should just go through a packer enterprise...sorry couldn't resist

      ---- jmaddog1082@... wrote:
      > For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?
      >
      > My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.
      >
      > A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for the suggestions,
    • engelpct1981
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 2 10:07 AM
        You are probably aware of this, but they do show what dates are already filled..... http://www.yosemite.org/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/rptfulltrailheaddates.htm

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

        > So far, I'm 0 for 2 on the permit thing.
        >
        > Faxed in my request for 8/16 entry on Sunday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
        >
        > Faxed in my request for 8/17 entry on Monday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
        >
        > I'll try again tonight...
        >
        > Here's my request for both attempts with a party of 4:
        > 1st: HI to LYV (or beyond)
        > 2nd: HI to Sunrise
        > 3rd: GP to LYV (or beyond)
        >
        > Perhaps I should just go through a packer enterprise...sorry couldn't resist

        > ---- jmaddog1082@... wrote:
        > > For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?
        > >
        > > My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.
        > >
        > > A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for the suggestions,

      • Herb
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 2 12:52 PM
          J--

          I would think the GP to LYV would be your best bet. Last year we had a reservation for HI to LYV. When we arrived 2:00 pm the day before to pick up the permit we asked "can you get us in today?" They had plenty of walk-ins for GP, and we got started that day.

          I actually like GP as a TH. Wonderful views of the valley and you miss the climb. Yes, its pretty hiking up from HI but that is easily done as a day trip some other time.

          Herb
          ---- jmaddog1082@... wrote:
          > So far, I'm 0 for 2 on the permit thing.
          >
          > Faxed in my request for 8/16 entry on Sunday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
          >
          > Faxed in my request for 8/17 entry on Monday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
          >
          > I'll try again tonight...
          >
          > Here's my request for both attempts with a party of 4:
          > 1st: HI to LYV (or beyond)
          > 2nd: HI to Sunrise
          > 3rd: GP to LYV (or beyond)
          >
          > Perhaps I should just go through a packer enterprise...sorry couldn't resist

          > ---- jmaddog1082@... wrote:
          > > For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?
          > >
          > > My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.
          > >
          > > A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for the suggestions,

        • kw_aston
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3 4:10 PM
            I called, didn't get my first choice but they told me what was available about that time I wanted to go, and so I am going 2 days ealier. Worked for me.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "engelpct1981" <ed@...> wrote:

            > You are probably aware of this, but they do show what dates are already filled..... http://www.yosemite.org/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/rptfulltrailheaddates.htm
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@> wrote:
            > >
            > > So far, I'm 0 for 2 on the permit thing.
            > >
            > > Faxed in my request for 8/16 entry on Sunday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
            > >
            > > Faxed in my request for 8/17 entry on Monday night - ALL 3 choices denied.
            > >
            > > I'll try again tonight...
            > >
            > > Here's my request for both attempts with a party of 4:
            > > 1st: HI to LYV (or beyond)
            > > 2nd: HI to Sunrise
            > > 3rd: GP to LYV (or beyond)
            > >
            > > Perhaps I should just go through a packer enterprise...sorry couldn't resist

            > > ---- jmaddog1082@ wrote:
            > > > For those of you finding early success in obtaining your first (or second) choices with your JMT permits, would you care to share any trailhead combinations that seem to be working best with the NPS this year?
            > > >
            > > > My work schedule will limit my trip this year to a section trip only, ideally HI to RM. Reducing my/our success for an HI to RM permit will be the fact that I'll be faxing a request for 4 in our group. We're shooting for mid-August, so I'm warming up the fax machine now.
            > > >
            > > > A TM to RM trip is an option, but I'd rather start from HI. I know it's a popular option, but we're not interested in going downhill from TM to HI, then shuttle back to TM to continue the trip on to RM either.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks in advance for the suggestions,

          • lilkeeney
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 23, 2010
              Greetings-

              Thanks for all the great advice as I have been silently listening. I hit the trail in 4 weeks and getting ready.

              I have a two person permit from Yosemite Valley to Whitney. If my friends wants to bail out at Tuolumne Meadows is that okay? If they get stopped by a ranger between the trail head and the trail junction with JMT they won't have a permit as I will have it. Will this be okay? I assume they might ask them to leave which they would be doing anyways, but I wouldn't want them to get a fine. I could always join my friend to the trailhead if need be and time allows.

              Secondly the same friend will likely join me at the end by joining me at Kearasage pass and then climbing Whitney and out to the portal.

              Is this legal and/or ethical? Can/should I make a copy of my permit?

              Thanks,
              Jeff

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 23, 2010
                  I've always written the permit info on the back of the map I carry, so
                  if a Ranger quizzes me, I can pull it out and give the full permit info
                  to them. I also tell them if our leader is ahead or behind me on the
                  trail. This has always worked so far....

                  I think they're amused that I'm ready for their question about a permit. ;-)

                  Ernie
                • swm_bikrun
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 3, 2013
                    Hi guys. New to this site and never have done the John Muir trail before.
                    Want to solo from Yosemite to Whitney starting in July of 2014. What permits do I need? Thank you
                    Ken
                    Bakersfield, CA.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 3, 2013
                        Thank you :)