Re: [John Muir Trail] Gear notes

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
      I've used the JetBoil (solo version) for two people,  Use it with care and don't try to make too much of any one thing.  Think of using it with some sort of container-with-cozy so that you can make one dish and off-load it into the cozy and then move on to the second dish (either more of the same thing or something different).  You are only supposed to put 2 cups into the JetBoil but if you watch it carefully, you can put in more -- so long as it isn't too thick.  Bob Shattuck andI even made pasta for 2 in it that way.  Warmed up the sauce first (tomato sauce with italian sausage), and kept the sauce warm in a 16-oz specimen jar inside a bottle warmer.  Then cooked about 10 oz of a thin pasta in about 8 oz of water, poured off the excess water (most of it got absorbed into the pasta), and combined it all in the jetboil and served it in plastic bowls.  A little starchy, but it worked.  Can do the same with Indian meals in a pouch and instant rice. Etc. Etc.

      (Specimen jars are the things biologists use to store biological materials in.  A friendly scientist gave me some, and I love them because they clean up very easily and they fit my bottle insulator perfectly.)

      Specimin jars look like this
      Plastic specimin jars are hard to find, but any widemouth plastic jar that fits a cozy will work.  A Peanut butter jar might do the trick, if you can find or make and insulation sleeve that will fit it

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707

      On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

      Just spent the w/e in Joshua Tree (Mojave desert) learning navigation using map and compass with my Sierra Club group.  Lots of fun despite pouring rain for most of Saturday.  At least there was a dry 30 minutes while we got our tents up.  What I learnt (apart from awesome use of map and compass, which I loved – it’s so logical!).

      1.  If you want rainpants that work, they need to be seam taped, cover the tops of your boots or gaiters, and have quite long side zippers for ease of on and off. Rain pants in continuous cold pouring rain are good.

      2.  Orthotics don’t dry as quickly as boots.

      3.  Seirus Hyperlite weatherproof gloves, with wind/waterproof membrane, are not at all waterproof, never, no way.  It does say “seams not sealed”.  Does that mean I’m sposed to apply Sylnet?  Hmm.  Needed a better option for day long cold rain.

      4. eVent rain jacket (Integral Designs) totally awesome, does its job, no wet sweat, no leaks, great length at back, good hood, loved it, life saver.

      5.  Jetboil PCS – loved it – it may be a monster for UL people, but I had it going and water boiled in the wind and cold, long before other stove options – sipping hot coffee with warm hands and others are still trying to light their stoves, or battling winds.  Incredibly fuel efficient.  Its back on my list as a summer possibility – any ideas how to best use it for 2 people? The GPS looks too bulky?

      Cheers for now – Barbara

      PS  Bouldering is not for me!