Re: Trail Mix

  • engelpct1981
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      Once upon a time when I did the PCT, I believe my trail mixture lasted at least 5 months (unless I was so hungry I could not tell the mixture was stale:)

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

      > Have 3 lb can of cashews and peanuts. Before I open the can and mix up my trail mix, does any body might know how long this trail mix will stay fresh in a zip lock bag-Cashews, dry roasted peanuts, whole almonds and M and M plan.

    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        On 3/1/2010 3:21 PM, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:
        > Have 3 lb can of cashews and peanuts. Before I open the can and mix up my trail mix, does any body might know how long this trail mix will stay fresh in a zip lock bag-Cashews, dry roasted peanuts, whole almonds and M and M plan.

        nuts will last a lot longer if stored the freezer (the oils in it go
        rancid over time). They will go bad in the cans, too. They taste bitter
        when they have gone bad. same for peanuts, I guess. M&Ms probably last
        as long as twinkies (i.e. forever)
      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          Ok thanks, my last thing I be packing is my trail mix.

          From: "engelpct1981" <ed@...>
          Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:56:18 -0000
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Trail Mix