Trail Mix

  • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      Have 3 lb can of cashews and peanuts. Before I open the can and mix up my trail mix, does any body might know how long this trail mix will stay fresh in a zip lock bag-Cashews, dry roasted peanuts, whole almonds and M and M plan.
    • engelpct1981
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        Once upon a time when I did the PCT, I believe my trail mixture lasted at least 5 months (unless I was so hungry I could not tell the mixture was stale:)

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:

        > Have 3 lb can of cashews and peanuts. Before I open the can and mix up my trail mix, does any body might know how long this trail mix will stay fresh in a zip lock bag-Cashews, dry roasted peanuts, whole almonds and M and M plan.

      • Peter Burke
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          On 3/1/2010 3:21 PM, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote:
          > Have 3 lb can of cashews and peanuts. Before I open the can and mix up my trail mix, does any body might know how long this trail mix will stay fresh in a zip lock bag-Cashews, dry roasted peanuts, whole almonds and M and M plan.

          nuts will last a lot longer if stored the freezer (the oils in it go
          rancid over time). They will go bad in the cans, too. They taste bitter
          when they have gone bad. same for peanuts, I guess. M&Ms probably last
          as long as twinkies (i.e. forever)
        • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
            Ok thanks, my last thing I be packing is my trail mix.

            From: "engelpct1981" <ed@...>
            Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:56:18 -0000
            To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Trail Mix