Half Dome permits

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010

      Hi  - Check out new Yosemite site for getting Half Dome permits for Fridays, Sats, and Sundays and federal holidays for day trips – you now get to enter a “tour time”, as well as the day you want!  Yikes!  Barbara

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 14, 2010
        Backpackers can pick up a permit when they pick up their wilderness permit. They do not need to make an advance reservation; that is for dayhikers only.

        Barbara
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 15, 2010
          Confirming BK's comment.  The following appears on the Permit webpage

          "Backpackers with an appropriate wilderness permit can receive a Half Dome permit when they pick up their wilderness permit with no additional reservation required."

          I don't know the answer about what a NoBo hiker does since s/he won't get the wilderness permit in Yosemite NP.  Anyone know?

          On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

          Backpackers can pick up a permit when they pick up their wilderness permit. They do not need to make an advance reservation; that is for dayhikers only.

          Barbara

        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 13, 2012
            Yosemite just released their policy on Half Dome permits for this year.

            http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/hdpermits5.htm
          • Kim Fishburn
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2012
              Today is the first day to apply for the Half Dome Permit Lottery.

              http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm
            • Ron Cordell
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2012
                It's not clear from the description on the site, so I have to ask. If I have a permit to hike from Happy Isles to Whitney Portal, do I still need to get a separate permit for HD?

                I realize this was discussed last season extensively, but this adds some confusion for those who are easily confused, like me!

                On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

                Today is the first day to apply for the Half Dome Permit Lottery.

              • robert shattuck
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2012
                  "do I still need to get a separate permit for HD?"

                  Ron,

                  No, you don't have to get a separate permit for HD . . . when you get into the valley and pick up your permit, they'll give you an HD ticket that you're to give to the Ranger once you hit the cables.

                  Also, it's apparently not that big an issue if you, for instance, got up to LYV and had the rest of the day to kill, but your HD permit was dated for the next day . . . you could just go up anyway.

                  This is what happened to us this past summer. After waiting in the valley for two days to get on the trail (after an early morning of waiting in line at permit office) the office rangers gave us HD permits along with our permit to go only as far as LYV the first day.

                  The permit was for hitting HD the next day, as i recall, but we were informed that there was a little stretch to it, as long as you had a ticket, you could go up within a day either way.

                  We got up to LYV around noon and I having done HD a few times, let me German pal head up alone . . . he said he had no problems and he was up and back by about 5 p.m.

                  Bob

                • Bill Cathey
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2012
                    Excerpt from the page: "Permits to hike to the top of Half Dome are required seven days per week when the cables are up."

                    I remember reading something about people climbing Half Dome earlier this winter (taking advantage of the late snow) after the cables were taken down. Where do people climb when the cables are down? At the same place where the cables would usually be located? Or, are there easier options? Is it basically a scramble? Thanks.

                    bill

                    On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:45 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

                    Today is the first day to apply for the Half Dome Permit Lottery.

                    =
                  • Barbara Karagosian

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2012
                        see this from Yosemite Forum and check out the picture too!

                        Barbara

                      • Bill Cathey

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 4, 2012
                              Last year we had permits for June 16th and the cables were still not up due to the late snow melt. After assessing the conditions we opted to go up despite the cables being down. At that time I had no previous climbing experience and did have one or two "freak-out" moments.. being that high up a slab of granite with absolutely no protection. I took it on as a personal challenge to overcome that fear and make it up. It was actually quite rewarding for me personally to make it up and down successfully.

                              That being said, would I ever do that again? Heck no! Going up without a harness was pretty a risky move on my part. In retrospect, if I were do it again while the cables are down, I would definitely bring a harness. Why take the risk? Ultimately that's a individual choice everyone has to make.

                              Here's a link to some of the photos from last year. You can see the snow on subdome as well as what the cables look like lying flat across the granite.

                              http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/photos/61443246@N07/sets/72157629513887917/

                              Thanks,

                              -Bill
                            • Barbara Karagosian