Re: [John Muir Trail] --> when to hike

  • Rick Beebe
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
      Sounds like business timing has driven your decision, which is fine, but I'd just like to be one more person recommending (for readers to come) a late summer hike. Late August/September is the best weather of the year in the Sierras. The evenings may start to get a little chilly (down to freezing or slightly below) at 10,000+ feet but the daytimes are usually very comfortable for walking. Usually by then the snow and the mosquitos are long gone and getting across streams is no problem. I think a late hike will make even more sense this year if the snowmelt goes on into mid-summer as it is likely to. Only problem with a late hike is that most of the flowers are past.

      Rick
      JMT '04
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        Personally, Rick, i would have started a little later than we are mainly because of the daughter and the snowmelt situation. My partner is convinced it will snow and be too cold end of Aug into Sept. I would have maybe started about 22 Aug. ... but its ok..its really her hike and I am just going along for the ride...I won't miss the cold and I don't mind hot as I am an eastern summer hiker, I've done GA/NC in July/Aug...so its pretty hot and humid ...hot good, cold bad...:)

        Anyone have any good recomendations for a lightweight Polarguard Sbag 20 deg? I am allergic to down...sigh...

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2005
          August/September is a great time to be in the High Sierra. My then 10
          year old son a friend and I started our JMT trip Aug 1 1982. It had
          been a heavy snow year and we had some snow on almost every pass.
          Island Pass was the only one with no snow. My friend had knee
          problems and dropped out at Devil's Postpile. My son and I continued
          on and finished Aug 25. In '93 my friend and I did JMT from South Lk.
          to Whitney leaving around the 28th of August and we had great weather
          the whole time ane no really cold nights. Our last night at Hitchcock
          Lks. gave us a warmer morning than I had experienced in early August a
          couple of years earlier. We often did trips in mid October and had
          good weather with chilly (really chilly)nights. On one of those Fall
          trips we went from South Lk. to Florence Lk. (LeConte - Evolution)and
          ran across a few people doing JMT thru hikes. I thought October might
          be a bit late for such a long hike as the weather could intervene
          slowing or ending the trip.

          > My partner is convinced it will snow and be too cold end of Aug into
          Sept.
        • Vera Lehmkuhl
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
            thanks for the info...I am not too concerned about cold below 30 to about 20 but snow and lower temps are a concern...I am allergic to down and have a pretty old polarguard bag...so guess we are sticking to the Aug dates...:)

            hmdsierra <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            August/September is a great time to be in the High Sierra. My then 10
            year old son a friend and I started our JMT trip Aug 1 1982. It had
            been a heavy snow year and we had some snow on almost every pass.
            Island Pass was the only one with no snow. My friend had knee
            problems and dropped out at Devil's Postpile. My son and I continued
            on and finished Aug 25. In '93 my friend and I did JMT from South Lk.
            to Whitney leaving around the 28th of August and we had great weather
            the whole time ane no really cold nights. Our last night at Hitchcock
            Lks. gave us a warmer morning than I had experienced in early August a
            couple of years earlier. We often did trips in mid October and had
            good weather with chilly (really chilly)nights. On one of those Fall
            trips we went from South Lk. to Florence Lk. (LeConte - Evolution)and
            ran across a few people doing JMT thru hikes. I thought October might
            be a bit late for such a long hike as the weather could intervene
            slowing or ending the trip.

            > My partner is convinced it will snow and be too cold end of Aug into
            Sept.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
              For low temp (below 0F) consider taking a
              tent,thermorest mattress, 20 degree above zero bag and
              a liner. I did that last winter to save on weight and
              bulk (I have a 40 below bag) and was perfectly warm at
              7 below zero while camped off glacer point road. The
              weather service had predicted 10 above!

              =====
              Best regards,

              Thomas

              Thomas Taylor
              tgtaylor7@...
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
            • Vera Lehmkuhl
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2005
                Thomas,
                thanks for the reply...well I hate to tell you but this is exactly what I do and my silly bag (8 years old and seen some miles and polarguard at that) just doesnt' keep me warm. Again anyone have suggests on decent polarguard bags that are true to degree rating?
                vera

                thomas taylor <tgtaylor7@...> wrote:
                For low temp (below 0F) consider taking a
                tent,thermorest mattress, 20 degree above zero bag and
                a liner. I did that last winter to save on weight and
                bulk (I have a 40 below bag) and was perfectly warm at
                7 below zero while camped off glacer point road. The
                weather service had predicted 10 above!
                --- Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to: