Re: [John Muir Trail] Introduction

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 9:04 PM
      Tony,
      we're leaving 4 days after you...actually almost left on the 27th!! :) but its too close to due date for daughter. Ack snow and cold eh? the ranger said that sometimes they have really hot spells in Mar/April and it melts all the snow...:)

      you better stop dreaming and get plannin...:)

      nite all,

      Anthony Zurowski <anthonyzurowski@...> wrote:
      Dear Vera:
      Howdy...Tony in LA...you're getting good advice from the folks in the group. I'm going solo June 27 to July something. So I expect some snow and cold still. I get my permits from the Yosemite Association(209 372 0740)--leaving from Happy Isles/Little Yosemite and, yes, they affix a special tab for the Whitney Zone...easy as pie...but do it soon for your prefered entry date. I'm hoping the resupply issues resolve themselves in a dream.

      V <vjl_47@...> wrote:

      Hello all,
      as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
      others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
      the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
      gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
      summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
      midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
      couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
      Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!

      I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
      solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
      hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
      husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
      bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
      frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
      tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...

      thanks more later,
      vera

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      \
      tony

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Anthony Zurowski
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2 4:47 AM
        Dear Vera:
        Hey, congrats...it's awsome when your plans start to coalesce. We are certain to run into each other. I'm really taking my time...hoping to poke around Mts Ritter and Lyell with some other glacier stops. Far from being a bad mum...she'll get here revenge in babysitting when you return. Coming North to South means that you'll be hitting the north faces of Muir, Forester and the other passes. So, yeah, snow. But NO NEW SNOW...and sun pockets and other trekkers work wonders on the trail, so route finding can only sometimes be tricky...but take you're time...where else you'goin'. I am not bad at snow....I'll try to leave a wide trail...lol. River's will be, well, kinda scarry. DO THEM IN THE MORNING and take a little time to really find the comfortable crossing. Don't think you're dumb to even wait a day at the worse...some one might come by in a mule train to help you cross...ugh, as if heaven sent. Remember, undo your straps, take off your socks but not your boots, and the
        WIDER the area the more likely it is to be shallow and less rapid. But little we wear is real...it all dries rather fast. But, sent some pics of my greatest concern...Forester Pass, these are the switchbacks, and these are the switchbacks on snow...ugh. But, yeah, April and May can be cruel to all standing snow...hurrah. This is a great site www.virtualparks.com look for the JMT shots...very helpful. Later,
        Tony