Re: [John Muir Trail] Better GPS Coverage On The Way

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2010
      Roleigh Martin wrote:

      > Good news.
      >

      > Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:
      >

      > Better GPS Coverage On The Way
      > <http://www.backpacker.com/better_pscoverage_sattelite/blogs/daily_dirt/1677>

      I never had GPS coverage issues in the Sierra, but I guess this may get
      you a few feet closer to actual position in some situations. In some
      narrow canyons like Le Conte, you are sometimes down to7 or 8 satellites
      and accuracy is down to a "mere 150 feet."

      In related "overlooked news" - here's something that may be a total game
      changer for backcountry communications - slated to be available from
      AT&T first half of this year. They launched the satellite last summer
      and have been testing, and according to their news section they are all
      set with roaming conracts for Europe, etc - this is definitely not just
      a proof of concept but something that will soon be available. Probably a
      little late for this season (who wants to be a first generation user of
      anything?)

      http://www.terrestar.com/

      cell phone, sat phone, GPS, all in one. Obviously, the key questions are
      unanswered on that web site: cost of phone, cost of minutes when using
      it off the cellular network via the satellite...