Re: [John Muir Trail] questions

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 1, 2005
      JD,
      thanks so much for the info...we got the permit today on the phone...they did not ask for itinerary..I assume this is something that happens when you pick it up...and yes we will have it with a couple of people probably...thanks for the calling ideas too.

      I would love to get your itinerary etc...gee I feel like a newbie on the AT...:) cept its the JMT..haven't felt that way for a while...:)

      send stuff to vjl_47@...
      will go see your pics...while on that subject would you all like to wax poetic on digital cameras....size, good photos, battery life...which camera? need all purpose one which will take great grandbaby photos too!! :)

      vera

      JD Schaefer <jdrows@...> wrote:
      Vera
      You go to the NPS reservation site. Link in the archives somewhere.
      That covers you for Yo, Adams and SeKi. When picking up your permit
      (West Portal Yo?), they'll ask you where you plan on staying each night
      on the entire trail. Hopefully you have an itinerary that a responsible
      friend also has. I suggest you might call that friend at TM, at Red's,
      (VVR?) and MTR (assuming you aren't going off-trail to resupply).

      Late Aug is better since the creek crossings will be easier and fewer
      moskies. Still plenty of water but your itinerary might have water
      stops included for an added sense of security. Nights are a bit cooler
      and days a tad shorter but days aren't as hot.

      When planning your days' distances, take into account elevation changes.

      If you want my itinerary with passes, elevations, water and camp sites.
      I'll send it separately.

      My JMT pics start at http://community.webshots.com/album/132955185Iayrxp

      Happy trails,
      JD

      V wrote:

      >Ok here go the questions.
      >
      >My hiking partner has said for sure she wants to do it!! woohoo.
      >however, we are already having date issues. What are the permit rules
      >for Yosmite? Do you have to have a permit for the first couple of
      >nights in the park if you are going to thru hike it? Sunrise &
      >Cathedral & Little Yosemite Valley?
      >
      >Also, for those of you who are experienced JMT hikers and live out
      >there...whats your take on a good time to start for this year? Do you
      >think snow late/snow early? We are having date issues and wonder if
      >it would be better to go early July or late Aug this year? I noticed
      >someone is going Labor Day? that seems awfully late....
      >
      >vera
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Kevin Aston
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 13, 2008
        I just did this trail this summer. It is closer to 20 miles. We did 4.5 on a Sunday, and then 15.8mi on the Monday to get to the Bridge at the Junction. It is a 22 mile drive from Bishop to North Lake. I have pictures and most of the story of my hike at www.kevinaston.com
        Kevin Aston

        Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote: Bob, is this the bridge over Piute Creek where the Piute Pass trail meets
        the JMT? According to the Lizzy Wenk book, she says it is 15.6 miles from
        Piute Pass Trailhead to the JMT. That is about a 1.5 day hike then for
        someone starting out at a 10 mile a day pace. Is the trail pretty much
        half-up, half-down (up and over the Pass) to the JMT?

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/2839125510/in/set-72157607171459740/

        It has two signs, one on each end of the bridge (the first sign has two
        sides to it)
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/2838293511/in/set-72157607171459740/
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/2838293607/in/set-72157607171459740/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/2838292963/in/set-72157607171459740/