Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [John Muir Trail] Introduction

Expand Messages
  • pdahl2@netscape.net
    Vera: I solo hiked the JMT in 2003. The Sierras have had more snow this year than in several recent years. Mammoth Mountain received 18 feet of snow in
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Vera:
      I solo hiked the JMT in 2003. The Sierras have had more snow this year than in several recent years. Mammoth Mountain received 18 feet of snow in January alone. I would anticipate quite a bit of snow on the trail at the higher elevations through July.

      I got my back country permit though Yosemite's web site. In 2003 you could reserve a permit request 24 weeks in advance. I requested a permit exactly 24 weeks prior to hitting the trail. A week later no further permits were available for that date.

      I resupplied food at Red's Meadow, Vermillion Valley Resort (a great place that welcomes hikers) and Muir Trail Ranch.

      Good luck

      Patrick

      Anthony Zurowski <anthonyzurowski@...> wrote:

      >Dear Vera:
      >Howdy...Tony in LA...you're getting good advice from the folks in the group.  I'm going solo June 27 to July something.  So I expect some snow and cold still.  I get my permits from the Yosemite Association(209 372 0740)--leaving from Happy Isles/Little Yosemite and, yes, they affix a special tab for the Whitney Zone...easy as pie...but do it soon for your prefered entry date.  I'm hoping the resupply issues resolve themselves in a dream.  
      >
      >
      >V <vjl_47@...> wrote:
      >
      >Hello all,
      >as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
      >others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
      >the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
      >gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
      >summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
      >midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
      >couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
      >Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!
      >
      >I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
      >solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
      >hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
      >husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
      >bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
      >frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
      >tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...
      >
      >thanks more later,
      >vera
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      >
      >
      >---------------------------------
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >   To visit your group on the web, go to:
      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/
      >  
      >   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >johnmuirtrail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >  
      >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >
      >
      >
      > \
      >   tony
      >
      >
      >
      >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
      >

      __________________________________________________________________
      Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
      As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

      Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

      New! Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer
      Search from anywhere on the Web and block those annoying pop-ups.
      Download now at http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp
    • Vera Lehmkuhl
      Hi again Tony and everyone. well its almost official...My hiking partner, Jane, decided that its a go, we called and got a date, July 31 to start from Happy
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi again Tony and everyone.
        well its almost official...My hiking partner, Jane, decided that its a go, we called and got a date, July 31 to start from Happy Valley to Little Yosemite now all that's left is to break it to my pregnant daughter that I am leaving on the 29th...ack...shes due the 22nd....think good thoughts everyone that she delivers early...please no telling me I'm a bad mother either! :)

        ack, I can't believe it...
        v

        Anthony Zurowski <anthonyzurowski@...> wrote:
        Hello Vera:
        Tony here in Los Angeles--planning on doing the trail north to south solo in late June. Would love to talk and help if I can. First off, forget the bear bag-hanging...the parks require a bear cannister these days...you can rent or buy...but you probably know that.
        Let me know if I can help in any way.
        Cheers,
        Tony

        V <vjl_47@...> wrote:

        Hello all,
        as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
        others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
        the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
        gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
        summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
        midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
        couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
        Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!

        I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
        solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
        hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
        husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
        bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
        frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
        tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...

        thanks more later,
        vera




        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


        ---------------------------------
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        johnmuirtrail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


        ---------------------------------
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        johnmuirtrail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



        ---------------------------------
        Do you Yahoo!?
        Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.

        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Vera Lehmkuhl
        Tony, we re leaving 4 days after you...actually almost left on the 27th!! :) but its too close to due date for daughter. Ack snow and cold eh? the ranger said
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          Tony,
          we're leaving 4 days after you...actually almost left on the 27th!! :) but its too close to due date for daughter. Ack snow and cold eh? the ranger said that sometimes they have really hot spells in Mar/April and it melts all the snow...:)

          you better stop dreaming and get plannin...:)

          nite all,
          v

          Anthony Zurowski <anthonyzurowski@...> wrote:
          Dear Vera:
          Howdy...Tony in LA...you're getting good advice from the folks in the group. I'm going solo June 27 to July something. So I expect some snow and cold still. I get my permits from the Yosemite Association(209 372 0740)--leaving from Happy Isles/Little Yosemite and, yes, they affix a special tab for the Whitney Zone...easy as pie...but do it soon for your prefered entry date. I'm hoping the resupply issues resolve themselves in a dream.


          V <vjl_47@...> wrote:

          Hello all,
          as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
          others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
          the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
          gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
          summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
          midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
          couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
          Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!

          I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
          solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
          hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
          husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
          bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
          frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
          tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...

          thanks more later,
          vera




          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


          ---------------------------------
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          johnmuirtrail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



          \
          tony



          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


          ---------------------------------
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          johnmuirtrail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Anthony Zurowski
          Dear Vera: Hey, congrats...it s awsome when your plans start to coalesce. We are certain to run into each other. I m really taking my time...hoping to poke
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            Dear Vera:
            Hey, congrats...it's awsome when your plans start to coalesce. We are certain to run into each other. I'm really taking my time...hoping to poke around Mts Ritter and Lyell with some other glacier stops. Far from being a bad mum...she'll get here revenge in babysitting when you return. Coming North to South means that you'll be hitting the north faces of Muir, Forester and the other passes. So, yeah, snow. But NO NEW SNOW...and sun pockets and other trekkers work wonders on the trail, so route finding can only sometimes be tricky...but take you're time...where else you'goin'. I am not bad at snow....I'll try to leave a wide trail...lol. River's will be, well, kinda scarry. DO THEM IN THE MORNING and take a little time to really find the comfortable crossing. Don't think you're dumb to even wait a day at the worse...some one might come by in a mule train to help you cross...ugh, as if heaven sent. Remember, undo your straps, take off your socks but not your boots, and the
            WIDER the area the more likely it is to be shallow and less rapid. But little we wear is real...it all dries rather fast. But, sent some pics of my greatest concern...Forester Pass, these are the switchbacks, and these are the switchbacks on snow...ugh. But, yeah, April and May can be cruel to all standing snow...hurrah. This is a great site www.virtualparks.com look for the JMT shots...very helpful. Later,
            Tony


            Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:
            Tony,
            we're leaving 4 days after you...actually almost left on the 27th!! :) but its too close to due date for daughter. Ack snow and cold eh? the ranger said that sometimes they have really hot spells in Mar/April and it melts all the snow...:)

            you better stop dreaming and get plannin...:)

            nite all,
            v

            Anthony Zurowski <anthonyzurowski@...> wrote:
            Dear Vera:
            Howdy...Tony in LA...you're getting good advice from the folks in the group. I'm going solo June 27 to July something. So I expect some snow and cold still. I get my permits from the Yosemite Association(209 372 0740)--leaving from Happy Isles/Little Yosemite and, yes, they affix a special tab for the Whitney Zone...easy as pie...but do it soon for your prefered entry date. I'm hoping the resupply issues resolve themselves in a dream.


            V <vjl_47@...> wrote:

            Hello all,
            as a long time yahoo hiking group member I will do what I encourage
            others to do when they join and will introduce myself. I'm Vera or
            the Missing Kink from Indiana. I work as store manager of a small
            gear store here. My boss and I are contemplating doing the JMT this
            summer. I am a long time AT section hiker and have hiked all over the
            midwest...NOTHING like CA. I came close to getting on the PCT a
            couple of years ago when I was near San Diego in the MTns at a Girl
            Scout camp...wow beautiful scenary!

            I am enjoying the photos. A friend of mine hiked the JMT last year
            solo in June and since it was a dry year said it was outstanding. My
            hiking partner has done quite a lot of western hiking with her
            husband. I have been counseled to put my bear bag in bushes so that a
            bear doesnt' roll it into a river!..:) I found this to be amusing yet
            frightening! :) Needless to say this newbie needs some help...:) so
            tolerance please as I pepper you with questions...

            thanks more later,
            vera




            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


            ---------------------------------
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            johnmuirtrail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



            \
            tony



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


            ---------------------------------
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            johnmuirtrail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


            __________________________________________________
            Do You Yahoo!?
            Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
            http://mail.yahoo.com

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT


            ---------------------------------
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            johnmuirtrail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.




            \
            tony



            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Vera Lehmkuhl
            So your new trail name could be Wide Path? :) snow eh...ack...ok Tony I ll start thinking about that tomorrow....well that will be cool if we do run into on
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              So your new trail name could be Wide Path? :) snow eh...ack...ok Tony I'll start thinking about that tomorrow....well that will be cool if we do run into on another. There is a tradition on the AT of thru hikers all kind of banding together and talking trail before their hikes...some groups starting together name themselves like March fools etc etc...:) is always nice to meet people on trail you've known in cyber space...
              nite all,
              v

              Anthony Zurowski <anthonyzurowski@...> wrote:
              Dear Vera:
              Hey, congrats...it's awsome when your plans start to coalesce. We are certain to run into each other. I'm really taking my time...hoping to poke around Mts Ritter and Lyell with some other glacier stops. Far from being a bad mum...she'll get here revenge in babysitting when you return. Coming North to South means that you'll be hitting the north faces of Muir, Forester and the other passes. So, yeah, snow. But NO NEW SNOW...and sun pockets and other trekkers work wonders on the trail, so route finding can only sometimes be tricky...but take you're time...where else you'goin'. I am not bad at snow....I'll try to leave a wide trail...lol. River's will be, well, kinda scarry. DO THEM IN THE MORNING and take a little time to really find the comfortable crossing. Don't think you're dumb to even wait a day at the worse...some one might come by in a mule train to help you cross...ugh, as if heaven sent. Remember, undo your straps, take off your socks but not your boots, and the
              WIDER the area the more likely it is to be shallow and less rapid. But little we wear is real...it all dries rather fast. But, sent some pics of my greatest concern...Forester Pass, these are the switchbacks, and these are the switchbacks on snow...ugh. But, yeah, April and May can be cruel to all standing snow...hurrah. This is a great site www.virtualparks.com look for the JMT shots...very helpful. Later,
              Tony



              ---------------------------------
              Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
              Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.