Half Dome Permits

  • cjoslyn99
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2010
      In case you haven't heard. Backpackers don't need an advance reservation but this may create more competition for "day-of" permits from people that would otherwise do as a dayhike.

      http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm

      To address safety concerns related to increased crowding on the Half Dome cables, the National Park Service is instituting an interim permit system during the summer of 2010 and 2011. The interim permit system will limit the number of people using the cables to 400 people per day and will be in effect on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays from mid May to October.

      In 2010, permits are available up to about four months in advance to one week in advance only through the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS). Permits are not available in the park or on a first-come, first-served basis.

      Note: Backpackers with an appropriate wilderness permit can receive a Half Dome permit when they pick up their wilderness permit with no additional reservation required. Rock climbers who reach the top of Half Dome without entering the subdome area can descend on the Half Dome Trail without a permit.
    • marketScience
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
        Despite my surfing, I haven't found info on getting a permit to go up Half Dome as part of a jmt wilderness permit. Is there a way to get the half dome permit with the wilderness permit?
      • Gail
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
          You request it right on your application for your main permit. There is a box to check to say you want a Half Dome permit. Here is the link to the permit application: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/wildpermitform.pdf.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
            Thanks for the info.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

            > In case you haven't heard. Backpackers don't need an advance reservation but this may create more competition for "day-of" permits from people that would otherwise do as a dayhike.
            >
            > http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm
            >
            > To address safety concerns related to increased crowding on the Half Dome cables, the National Park Service is instituting an interim permit system during the summer of 2010 and 2011. The interim permit system will limit the number of people using the cables to 400 people per day and will be in effect on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and federal holidays from mid May to October.
            >
            > In 2010, permits are available up to about four months in advance to one week in advance only through the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS). Permits are not available in the park or on a first-come, first-served basis.
            >
            > Note: Backpackers with an appropriate wilderness permit can receive a Half Dome permit when they pick up their wilderness permit with no additional reservation required. Rock climbers who reach the top of Half Dome without entering the subdome area can descend on the Half Dome Trail without a permit.

          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013

              "Despite my surfing, I haven't found info on getting a permit to go up Half Dome as part of a jmt wilderness permit."

              I'm betting that when you actually walk in to pick up your permit, they'll offer you half dome tickets, or you can ask.  I seem to recall the last three times I went in, that's how it went.

              The best scenario for HD is getting a HI to LYV permit. get on the trail early, get up to LYV, set up camp. stow all your gear, grab your water, food, flashlight jacket and go . . . otherwise the other fun part of getting the HD ticket is where to stash your stuff.

              BOB

            • Deborah Rhoton
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
                I researched this quite extensively when I planned a NOBO hike. Since Half Dome permits are issued through Yosemite you cannot get one as part of your wilderness permit issued from anywhere else. I changed my plans and am now doing a SOBO hike and got half dome permits with my wilderness permit through Yosemite.

                Sent from my iPhone